Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jeffbee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm

I'm a 42 year old man. I was diagnosed with lots of things in the 70s and 80s which all turned out to be symptoms of Aspergers. Someone suggested I take the Autism Spectrum Quotient Test. I scored 40. Then I began to read about Aspergers. Everything I read points to me. OK. So now I have an explaination for all those weird things and problems I've been experiencing since I was 2. What do I do about it? Do I need to go to a doctor and make it official? I find it extremely difficult to make myself go to a doctor for any reason. Are there support groups? Should I meet and attempt to socialize with other people like me?

My goal is to find ways to better integrate myself into society. My preference is to stay in my home and "play" in my workshop, inventing or building whatever obsession comes to mind this week. But this doesn't pay the bills. I find it hard to keep a job because I don't relate to other people and I can't make myself do paperwork. Everyone thinks I'm brilliant at first, but then they think I'm just a jerk who can't seem to get it together.

Am I doomed?

AW
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

Not being a 42 year old man, I can't fully relate to your story, but i will say you probably do have to see your doctor for a diagnoses- but try the public counselling. You probs most definitely have it, sorry just putting it out there! Not being diagnosed for ages for me meant I sometimes felt like an outsider on this site, so being diagnosed is personal choice. And yes, look out for groups in your area, I hope someone comments with more relevence than me, sorry!!

Best Of Luck :)

p.s. you are never doomed!! !!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:05 am

Hi, welcome to WP!

I would say that if you feel you need assistance of any kind, you should go for an official diagnosis.

In the meantime, yes, I think that support groups would be a good start--you can meet other people coping with similar issues and hear how they do it--"better integrate yourself into society", as you put it.

I agree with AW--"you are never doomed!! !"

Btw, what do you invent/build? Maybe you could find some way to make that "pay the bills."

Again, welcome to WP. Glad you found us. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 7:40 am

Welcome!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:35 am

Welcome aboard the Wrong Planet, jeffbee.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:02 pm

jeffbee wrote:
So now I have an explaination for all those weird things and problems I've been experiencing since I was 2. What do I do about it?

That is a million-dollar question, and I do not have enough change in my pocket to pay for an answer!

jeffbee wrote:
Do I need to go to a doctor and make it official?

If you need, want or believe you need that for some reason, just know that is going to be difficult. We older folks seldom spark anyone's interest unless somebody just needs just about anyone to help fill his or her appointment book.

jeffbee wrote:
Are there support groups?

Yes, and you might "Google" for "autism" or "autism support" in your state or province or whatever. However, most of the ones I have ever found were primarily for parents of school-age autistic children.

jeffbee wrote:
Should I meet and attempt to socialize with other people like me?

Right here can be a great place to begin a little of that.

jeffbee wrote:
My goal is to find ways to better integrate myself into society.

Look for an older same-gendered therapist or counselor who at least understands AS/HFA and can serve you as a "life coach" ... but just be cautious about getting involved with a mere philosopher.

jeffbee wrote:
I find it hard to keep a job ...
Everyone thinks I'm brilliant at first, but then they think I'm just a jerk who can't seem to get it together.

Am I doomed?

Only if you are and/or if you remain dependent upon people who can do no better than to expect you to be (think) and to act like them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 10:01 pm

A very special Welkome to WrongPlanet, with a K.

The WP Kink

geraldtonjjeeper
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2015, 8:10 pm

Hello Jeffbee.

I don't know how things work in California, but here in Australia I was able to get a "Mental Health" plan assistance through our Social Security Department of the Federal Government. It gave me 10 sessions with a Clinical Psychologist who diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome. From that many helpful things spring. Assistance finding a job, cheaper medication and protection under workplace laws.

That may be a place to start for you!