Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:34 pm

Does anybody here avoid that which interests you most? I find that not being able to do something that interests me at the level of intensity that works for me so frustrating that I actually avoid doing it.

It's like I want to eat the whole pie but all I can have is a bite, so I say forget it and just eat broccoli.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:57 pm

I had an online game I played almost daily. And though I wasn't an expert on the whole game, i was excellent at certain aspects of it and well respected by the people I played with.

Unfortunately at one point it all became too much - too many people relying on me and asking for my company. I haven't even tapped the icon in 4 months. Never even said goodbye.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:59 pm

OddFiction wrote:
I had an online game I played almost daily. And though I wasn't an expert on the whole game, i was excellent at certain aspects of it and well respected by the people I played with.

Unfortunately at one point it all became too much - too many people relying on me and asking for my company. I haven't even tapped the icon in 4 months. Never even said goodbye.

So if people would stop bugging you would you play it or is that particular interest dead?

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:23 pm

Hmm.. I think it's just on hold. I still think of it often but the "explosion of interest" I will receive when I return is keeping me away. I think I may just start sneaking on at midnight when most of the people who know me won't be online. Then setting myself to "invisible" for a while.

It was amazingly fun game and I still have an attatchment to it. I know for a fact that I'll be back to it by hallowe'en at the latest - there are special in game rewards during holiday events.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:26 pm

My favorite film right now is Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. I own the DVD, but I've only watched it about two or three times since I bought it in June. The reason for this is because I'm afraid that if I watch it too often, I will get bored with it. I want it to stay "fresh" in my mind for as long as possible; I want to savor it. However, my tactic probably won't work, because I rarely ever watched my Hellsing DVDs and I eventually got tired of them anyway.

I would research it on the Internet, but I already know all there is to know about it, so now I look into other adaptations of Alice in Wonderland to satiate my curiosity.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:44 pm

OddFiction wrote:

Sounds like World of Warcraft, like a fool I started a guild once, a victim of my success, the guild took off. I couldn't log on without constant messages for help with a quest or something out of the guild bank.. I promoted an officer to leader and left the server started a new character on another server..

I get stressed when I want to do something with my interest but have another obligation in a few hours,and I don't feel like I have enough time. so I'll do something else but I'm still stressed about not getting to do what I wanted.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 4:10 pm

Omnicognic wrote:

I get stressed when I want to do something with my interest but have another obligation in a few hours,and I don't feel like I have enough time. so I'll do something else but I'm still stressed about not getting to do what I wanted.

Yes. This.

Interruptions make me crazy and if I'm likely to get interrupted I don't even bother. But neither is really good. I get stressed not doing what my mind is burning up to do or I get stressed doing it and getting interrupted so often that I can't hit "the zone".

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 4:23 pm

I think I may have tried to avoid my interests in the past, but these days it would be rather hard for me to avoid them. :?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2010, 10:14 pm

I've been obsessed with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for PS3 since I got it in September but I had to stop playing it. It was stressing me out really bad because the game is so hard. I got to the final difficulty level of Master Ninja and progressed to level 4's end boss before I realized I needed to stop playing it. I couldn't beat the boss and I was obsessing on how I couldn't beat him. That game made me excited but scared to keep trying so I decided it was best I cut back on that one since I've never had a game do that to me before. I still want to play it but fear it's bad for me. I may go back and play it again later and maybe practice more before I continue to try doing what I was doing on Master Ninja mode... but again I don't like that it stresses me out so much :(

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:40 pm

I have to avoid some of my interests or else I would do nothing at all..

It would consume me and there wouldn't be anything left.....

then I'd have to figure out simple things out all over again =/

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:55 pm

Yes, sometimes I do. I have a horrible obsession with American Idol. I know how lame it is, but I keep getting caught up in certain contestants. Then I literally spend hours every day reading forums, discussing psychological tactics, downloading music and watching videos. It's like an addiction I can't stop, instead of doing other useful things

So I purposely turn my computer off and just leave it off. But it's very very hard to do.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 9:15 am

I never avoid my special intrests but I avoid making new special intrests. I'm an adult and I don't think I am going to develop any new special intrests. Invader Zim and Avatar were my last new special intrests and I grew bored with them. I remember when I first discovered Titan A.E., I felt like I was "cheating" with my meerkat and Lion King special intrests. When Invader Zim was a special intrest, I felt as if I was cheating on Lion King, Titan A.E. and meerkats. One special intrest usualy leads to something related but diffrent for instance my special intrest in Lion King created my meerkat special intrest and Titan A.E. was the basis for my lizard special intrest. After I finnaly got my bearded dragon, Pippin I actualy lost most of my intrest in Titan A.E. and I've discovered that Titan A.E. is basically a "people movie". My parents, shrinks and teachers used to always tell me that I needed to "widen my horizons" because they were sick of hearing about meerkats for the umteenth time. I didn't want to widen my horizons, I wanted to learn about my special intrests. As an adult and espicaly since meerkat manor came out and got so popular and it became cool to like meerkats all of a sudden, I don't get that crap anymore.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 9:26 am

OMG! YES!! ! I dove! into College work. (It was a huge obsession 5 years ago) :-) Then my parents yelled at me! OMG! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE OBSESSIVE?! ! Me: I was 5 years ago. I like it. IT'S NOT RIGHT! YOU HAVE ALL DAY TOMORROW AND THE NEXT DAY TO DO IT! OMG! YOU DON'T NEED TO DO IT ALL IN ONE DAY!! ! (They then took my laptop away that weekend). Since that first week I've done school work off/on sparingly since I've lost that spark. It's like DAMN IT! Why bother if it's going to get you yelled at. :-( So in my home obsession is bad I guess. :-(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 9:27 am

I can put off indulging in my special interest for as long as it takes to clean my apartment. About 2 hours. I'm going to avoid making any new special interests. I gave The Kinks a second chance after 4 years and they are the best special interest that I've ever had. Why would I want to spoil it with something else?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 10:18 am

Yes I do avoid the most nerdy special interests that I have. I'm not sure if it's because of some kind of depression/disillusionment, or if it's just that I know what happens when I let myself go (rest of life collapses)....I like to think it's the latter, and frankly I don't really feel depressed as far as I know, just bored, apathetic or a bit down, but not really depressed.

I'm looking forward to escaping from the world of work...then I'll be time-rich so it should be easier to feed my passions and still have lots of time for the boring stuff. Meanwhile, even 3-week holiday breaks aren't enough to shift my habits....I suppose that's because I know I've got to go back to work in a few days.....hopefully I'll just need to get used to zero time pressure when I retire.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I never avoid my special intrests but I avoid making new special intrests. I'm an adult and I don't think I am going to develop any new special intrests. Invader Zim and Avatar were my last new special intrests and I grew bored with them. I remember when I first discovered Titan A.E., I felt like I was "cheating" with my meerkat and Lion King special intrests. When Invader Zim was a special intrest, I felt as if I was cheating on Lion King, Titan A.E. and meerkats. One special intrest usualy leads to something related but diffrent for instance my special intrest in Lion King created my meerkat special intrest and Titan A.E. was the basis for my lizard special intrest.

I'm going to try to avoid making new special interests too. My brother keeps saying "You'll get bored of your favorite movies/celebrities in a couple of years", but my mom and I think that my interests are probably a little more permanent now that I'm an adult.

I feel like I "cheat" on my special interests too. Lately I feel like I've been "cheating" on my interests in Tim Burton movies by focusing too much on different Alice in Wonderland adaptations that aren't his. I am usually OK with seeing movies that Tim Burton didn't make, as long as they prominently star at least one of the actors/actresses that also played in one of his films. For example, I am OK with watching The Kids Are Alright because Mia Wasikowska is in it, and she played the lead character in Alice in Wonderland. I am also OK with watching movies that remind me of Tim Burton movies even if they're not directly connected. For example, I am OK with watching Repo! The Genetic Opera because the characters and gory violence remind me of Sweeney Todd.

My interests also spin off into other, related interests. For example, my love for Sweeney Todd caused me to be passionate about the actress Helena Bonham Carter, and Alice in Wonderland led me to be passionate about Crispin Glover and his movies. But of course, the biggest example is that my love for Tim Burton movies led to an interest in (most of) Johnny Depp's movies.