Unusual posture, especially when walking

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2010, 3:16 pm

I tend to walk with my hands clasped in front of me (palm of right hand on back of left hand). I hadn't noticed I did this or that it was odd until a friend pointed it out a couple years ago; at the time I thought it was due to the fact that my hands were injured and there were only a few positions in which they were comfortable, but I've since discovered that I do it a lot of the time even when my hands are perfectly fine. (I think other times I put my hands in my pockets.)

Other than that I'm not aware of anything odd about how I walk.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Liam4230
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2010, 4:47 pm

When I was little, my mom always used to tell me that I walked like I was pulling a tractor. I think she said that because I didn't move my arms at all when I walked. I've learned to kind of move my arms, but usually I still only move one arm. And people often tell me that I walk distinctively, or that they can recognize me by my walk. So I'm not really sure what that means.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

I just walk normally - I walk up straight, with one hand sort of on the strap of my handbag to keep it on my shoulder, and the other arm moving, (unless I'm carrying a carrier bag with it). So there must be another reason as to why people give me weird looks as they pass......

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2010, 12:19 pm

I have a rigid, kind of awkward gait. I just sort of shuffle along. Nobody ever mentions it, but obviously they see it.