Young adults- how many of your parents agree with diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Young adults, how many of your parents agree with the diagnosis?
both 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
one 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
none 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27

ReallyGoodName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2010, 6:16 am

My mom believes I don't have AS and have PPD.

My dad is pretty oblivious, but he sometimes seems like he has AS..like his strong fascination with trains.

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2010, 6:48 am

I'm a little bit younger than 16, but oh well...

My dad doesn't even know about AS, as he lives far away from us.

My mum's boyfriend, well, I mentioned it once and he completely dismissed it, and I'm pretty scared of him, so I left that one.

My mum, well, I think she knows I might have it. I outlined all the criteria and she knows I have all the symptoms. But she thinks there are too many labels being tossed around these days and it never does anyone any good. Labels are only useful if you are seriously ill and need medicine. I'm scared of her, too, so I left that one as well. I haven't given up hope just yet, though!
My brother thinks he has it (he's 22), so if mum can see that it's not so bad, getting a diagnosis, I may still have a fighting chance!

I have to lie low for now, and I have been researching in secret without telling a soul, and when I have gathered up enough courage and proof, I will tackle her again.

GaijinRanger
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2010, 9:19 am

I was 8 the first time I was told I was 'autistic' by a woman who had an autistic child of her own. My father later added that it was "Hossbergers". (Lol.)

After that I never heard about it again until I stumbled across the real name and started searching it up. Told my father about my findings, but he thought it was something I grew out of. :P

He agrees that I'm an Aspie. My stepmum however, whose only known me for the past two years, disagrees. Scolds me not to self-diagnose whenever I try to bring it up... I tried seeking professional help to get a diagnosis, but people just laugh at me when I ask. I'm going to start beating faces in soon if I don't find a man who not only looks professional but acts that way too. :/