Why's it so bad to correct people's spelling mistakes?

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
From what I can see, the three main problems are:

1) The person would be embarrassed if their mistakes are pointed out in front of the whole forum.
2) They'd take offense to it because you'd assume the other person was trying to seem better than you.
3) It doesn't matter anyway.

I will add another reason, the one that bothers me:

If somebody points out spelling and grammatical mistakes it feels as though the substance of what I have written was irrelevent to them. Imagine verbally saying something important to somebody and after you have said this important thing, all they say is "you have a funny accent". Too much attention to small errors is a way of saying "I don't care what you just said". I can understand pointing out the things that make a post unreadable such as no paragraphs or all caps or over-abbreviated text-speak. But if somebody merely misspells a word, pointing that out just shows you didn't pay much attention to the content of what they said, even if the form was not sufficiently deviant to make it hard for you to read.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 3:59 am

Janissy wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
From what I can see, the three main problems are:

1) The person would be embarrassed if their mistakes are pointed out in front of the whole forum.
2) They'd take offense to it because you'd assume the other person was trying to seem better than you.
3) It doesn't matter anyway.

I will add another reason, the one that bothers me:

If somebody points out spelling and grammatical mistakes it feels as though the substance of what I have written was irrelevent to them. Imagine verbally saying something important to somebody and after you have said this important thing, all they say is "you have a funny accent". Too much attention to small errors is a way of saying "I don't care what you just said". I can understand pointing out the things that make a post unreadable such as no paragraphs or all caps or over-abbreviated text-speak. But if somebody merely misspells a word, pointing that out just shows you didn't pay much attention to the content of what they said, even if the form was not sufficiently deviant to make it hard for you to read.

What if they also gave a full reply to your post but added as a note at the end that you spelled something wrong?

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:05 am

Asp-Z wrote:
I think, at the end of the day, we should just impose this sort of policy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0l_vPyUmg[/youtube]

Very Funny