Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2010, 7:53 am

Please help

I need free or under £100 video editing software that can do:

Green and blue screen.
Cut videos making separate video clips
Cut out unwanted stuff at top, bottom and sides

I need advice from someone that knows what they are talking about rather than suggestions from people that have simply googled green screen editing software and the like – I could simply do that myself!! !! !

I have only about 11gigs left on my Acer Aspire 5710 laptop so have limited space. I am running Vista (yuk). I put in as much RAM as it will take.

I was given a list by someone that simply Googled and after so much hassle trying to download and not knowing if I had (as it suggests downloading others things to go with it and it is not clear if what you intended at first to download has been) I found the software wouldn’t let me work with my files and barely works with its own files.

A link direct to download the actual editing software would be good as most links seem to go to other software it wants you download and it is really confusing.

Also what is a high quality but low file size to use. My camera does video as MOV files but I have to convert to use in most software and converting to AVI looks s**t.

Last edited by Bearsac-Debra on 24 Oct 2010, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 12:48 pm

Bearsac-Debra wrote:
I have only about 11gigs left on my laptop so have limited. I am running Vista (yuk).

What brand and model? Some upgrades can be done quite inexpensively.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2010, 5:32 am

leejosepho wrote:
Bearsac-Debra wrote:
I have only about 11gigs left on my laptop so have limited. I am running Vista (yuk).

What brand and model? Some upgrades can be done quite inexpensively.

Acer Aspire 5710 laptop I put in as much RAM as it will take. I have now added this to my message. Thank you.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:09 am

I was thinking you could run cinepaint on windows, but it turns out you cannot. linux/unix only. Too bad, its free and a hollywood standard.

If you want to have a look anyway..

http://www.cinepaint.org/

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 8:57 pm

Bearsac-Debra wrote:

These are very basic functions, I would imagine every program that call itself a video editor has it. Even freeware like virtualdub can do it.

Bearsac-Debra wrote:
Green and blue screen.

I used Sony Vegas for video editing myself and I know it can do it. You can see the features and pricing on this page:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... hd/compare

The feature you wanted is called chroma key. I think CyberLink PowerDirector can do that too and it's also within your budget. (It seems to support more codecs out of the box)

Bearsac-Debra wrote:
Also what is a high quality but low file size to use. My camera does video as MOV files but I have to convert to use in most software and converting to AVI looks sh**.

MOV is just a container, so is AVI. They can store video in many different compression format called codec. What determine the quality of a video is the codec and bitrate used. h.264 usually give the best quality video for the same bitrate.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2010, 6:03 am

CloudWalker wrote:
Bearsac-Debra wrote:

These are very basic functions, I would imagine every program that call itself a video editor has it. Even freeware like virtualdub can do it.

Bearsac-Debra wrote:
Green and blue screen.

I used Sony Vegas for video editing myself and I know it can do it. You can see the features and pricing on this page:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... hd/compare
quote]

I am downloading trail version. will decdie between £75 and £100 one if like it. Where it says 'Video tracks 10' does that mean I can have up to 10 different video clips as layers. Or what does it mean?
I want to have at leat 3 layers (amybve more). I want to have a moving background and moving foreground with moving main subject inbetween. ie. Me singing with band in background and film my teddies dancing in front of me. Will that be done with the 'video tracks' or is there another way to do that?