Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm

Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
I think atheism is a far less foolish lifestyle then that of a nun or a suicide bomber. :lol:

Lifestyle or "here and now" is not even what I was talking about, and neither are such comparisons of any truly-good use to anyone.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:02 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
808owl is asking several questions here most of which have been answered quite well. A persons mind is his own and he will think as he chooses and hold whatever opinions and beliefs that seem good to him regardless of what anyone else says (with all due respect to several satirical threads about thought crimes started by another member.)

Agreed ... yet at least some of those questions reveal the OP's mind is actually *not* completely his own at the moment.

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2010, 1:49 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
I think atheism is a far less foolish lifestyle then that of a nun or a suicide bomber. :lol:

Lifestyle or "here and now" is not even what I was talking about, and neither are such comparisons of any truly-good use to anyone.

What I was really saying was that Atheism has no more a chance of being "foolish" than anything else. There are thousands of religions to choose from and they can't all be right. I was just adding the fact that it is also possible to waste a lifetime of pious servitude on nothing.

Therefore, atheism is no more likely to be "foolish" than anything else.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm

Okay.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
808Owl wrote:

Question: Is it a right or a privilege to think objectively when it comes to anything, but especially supernatural and afterlife centered topics?

Thinking is something we do. Like breathing. As long as we live we think. So is being alive a right or a privilege?

ruveyn

A privilege if you buy into the capitalist mindset.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:16 pm

Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
I was just adding the fact that it is also possible to waste a lifetime of pious servitude on nothing.

A lifetime of virginity is truly a life wasted.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2010, 2:45 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
I was just adding the fact that it is also possible to waste a lifetime of pious servitude on nothing.

Even if said hypothetical virgin wins the Nobel prize?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:17 pm

Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

Even if said hypothetical virgin wins the Nobel prize?

Depends on which one and if they did win it, they should at least celebrate with some hookers.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 6:46 pm

The Privilege of Rights, The Rights of Privilege topic(s)

Growing up in a very strict home I was aware of what a privilege was and what a right was.

I could lose my privileges, but rights were carved in stone. The rights were somewhat boring, like the right to eat three meals per day. But the meals did not always include dessert, which could be withheld if one did something wrong. I could eat more bread if my dessert was revoked, so the right to eat a non-dessert food item was always there. :lol: At least I never went hungry as a kid.

Ironically, there was more responsibility attached to privileges than rights, at least in my home.

Privileges could change with age, mood, availablility--they were arbitrarily given and taken away. Rights were something permanent. Of course, they were more privileges than rights--more to lose. :P

What does all this mean? It is better to have enshrined rights, as visagrunt wrote. At the same time, the notion of white privilege is thankfully gone. And the privilege to be an atheist? Of course! Yet it is good to remember that with such a privilege comes a responsibility to be as strident as possible!! :lol: I have got to work on this. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 6:54 pm

Answer: The Separation of Church and State ought to be treated in the same manner as the Right to Bear Arms.

Freedom of each person to practice religion without it being ordained by the state is fine, but each person also ought to have the freedom to carry firearms.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 5:34 pm

Obviously any religous ( or lack thereof) belief is a right.

But you could argue that for practical purposes it could actually be only a priviledge in some situations.
Espousing a unpopular belief may carry a cost that makes it an expensive luxery.

Being anything other than Mormon in some parts of Utah puts you at odds with comunity ( and gets your kids ostrcized at school etc). In effect you pay an emotional fee for the privilege of being non mormon even though in theory anywhere in America espousing any faith ( or lack thereof) is supposed to be a right.

One things for sure.
Dont ever run for President.

If your opponets find this post youd be screwed.
Proclaiming you're atheist is even more damageing than your admission that you're gay.
Studies have shown that americans would sooner vote for an openly gay president than for an openly atheist straight president. Youve proclaimed both gayness and atheism so youve already paid for the priviledge of those two "rights" by forfeiting ever being able to run for public office.