Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:25 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Having a bit of trouble coming up with a name for a group of people in my book. What would be a good name for a group of space dwelling gipsy's with a propensity for living in nebula's and the upper atmospheres of gas giants? All i have bin able to come up with is ether Outlander's or Outworlder's.

i have decided (for now at least) to go with Outworlder's.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:11 am

I am trying to write a book but everyday the plot changes in my head. I think most of my ideas are good I just cannot focus on one of them and write that.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:41 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I am trying to write a book but everyday the plot changes in my head. I think most of my ideas are good I just cannot focus on one of them and write that.

Trey righting out an outline of the plot's that you have thought of, then after a while sort threw them and pick the best

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:11 am

Titangeek wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Trey righting out an outline of the plot's that you have thought of, then after a while sort threw them and pick the best

Thanks. Yeah thats what I do in my head. Everyday a different scenario and plot takes over my brain and I can just sit thinking about it! It is so unfortunate that at these times I do not feel able to sit at my computer typing.

Also when I do start writing, I find I cannot stop. So I end up writing for days and end up with a hurried/confused manuscript. Then it gets left for a few years! So another problem I have is discipline. I cannot discipline myself to write every day.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 12:27 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Thanks. Yeah thats what I do in my head. Everyday a different scenario and plot takes over my brain and I can just sit thinking about it! It is so unfortunate that at these times I do not feel able to sit at my computer typing.

Also when I do start writing, I find I cannot stop. So I end up writing for days and end up with a hurried/confused manuscript. Then it gets left for a few years! So another problem I have is discipline. I cannot discipline myself to write every day.

you don't have to right every day, just after you have thought up a plot just right the general outline

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:04 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

That's exactly my problem. Plenty of times, I find myself thinking up the lamest of excuses not to write.
As far as your confused and rushed manuscripts are concerned - well, you have to remember, that isn't your finished product, but a rough draft. Again, that's one of my own problems, as well. I find myself trying to make that first draft pristine, till I just get discouraged, and end up setting aside what I had written. Right now, I'm trying to take my own advice, and finish up a first draft before I try tinkering with it to make it better.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:12 pm

I'm writing a very complex psychological sci-fi drama thriller, and I haven't gotten past the first chapter.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I'm writing a very complex psychological sci-fi drama thriller, and I haven't gotten past the first chapter.

i haven't even gotten that far

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

That's exactly my problem. Plenty of times, I find myself thinking up the lamest of excuses not to write.
As far as your confused and rushed manuscripts are concerned - well, you have to remember, that isn't your finished product, but a rough draft. Again, that's one of my own problems, as well. I find myself trying to make that first draft pristine, till I just get discouraged, and end up setting aside what I had written. Right now, I'm trying to take my own advice, and finish up a first draft before I try tinkering with it to make it better.

Oh yeah. My advice is to write the first draft without looking back. This was advice I read online and it has served me well. It allowed me to write a draft in a few weeks. Its no good looking back before finishing because that just holds you up and can send you don't some cul-de-sacs.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:14 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Oh yeah. My advice is to write the first draft without looking back. This was advice I read online and it has served me well. It allowed me to write a draft in a few weeks. Its no good looking back before finishing because that just holds you up and can send you don't some cul-de-sacs.

I have read that this trying to achieve perfection by knit picking from the onset is indeed an Asperger's trait.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 2:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have read that this trying to achieve perfection by knit picking from the onset is indeed an Asperger's trait.

Which could explain why it seems to take me ten times as long to finish a writing assignment as everyone else on my course!

I've finally handed in my essay, feel a bit bad though coz I had to miss all my classes this week to get it done (it took solid writing from 7am till 10pm every day) and it still wasn't as good as it should be :(. I find it really hard to find the right words to express what I'm trying to say- they never sound right when I write them down so I have to delete them and start again. I'm doing Creative Writing and I really like the research side, but find the CW aspect a lot harder. Although that's why I'm doing it, lol, I really want to learn to write creatively coz I love language and love the act of writing.