Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 3:04 am

You know, socks are not necessary. I've worn socks on... fewer than twenty days, probably, in the last nine or so years. Yes, you can wear your shoes right on your feet. Any style. Tennis shoes, sandals, heels, clogs, boots, crocs, whatever you wear. I've worn all of those sockless. (Some of those styles of shoes I hate, though.) Dress codes and ice skates are the only reason to wear socks.

No, I don't get blisters. No, I've never been ostracized for it.

So to those of you dreading another day of socks, I say... be free. Burn them if you want. Slice them open and sew them into a blanket or a shirt. Use them for rags, wash cloths, stuffed animals. Crush them to make them learn what it feels like.

No one, no single person, has ever given me a single valid reason to wear socks just to go about my day. In fact, few people have ever noticed. The only time it's been remarked upon is when I've had occasion to put on and take off my shoes in front of people repeatedly. Oh, and in fifth grade, when I kicked off my shoes in class, but it wasn't precisely the lack of socks that bothered them...

In fact, I go barefoot in the house. Even in winter. Even though I pace constantly. I usually go barefoot in the backyard, too, and sometimes in other places.

So to you who never dared dream of it, I say, yes. Be free of the tyranny of footwear! Shed shoes and socks! Live!

NOT A DOCTOR

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 3:07 am

I don't wear them unless they are somehow related to my special intrests somehow. I live in Texas and can get away with wearing a hybrid of crocs and flip flops all year round.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2010, 3:26 am

I can never find shoes that fit my feet. Socks prevent blisters. I have tried wearing shoes without socks, but I just ended up with big nasty blisters. I did go for two years wearing strap on sandals, but the smell became over whelming, plus my feet were always filthy. I do, however, HATE wearing socks.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 5:30 am

My shoes are more comfortable with socks. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Oct 2010, 5:58 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
My shoes are more comfortable with socks. :)

Ditto!

I even prefer wearing socks with sandals; I generally hate the texture of the straps and so on, certainly the ones that I can afford to buy anyway ... just remembering that when younger and still working and building up a large bank debt, pre-manic-depressive breakdown, I bought some beautiful sandals and shoes which I did like wearing barefoot ... they were soft and comfortable and unseamed enough to wear without socks ... "rich" or financially reckless autistics have it easier! :lol

I love being able to go completely barefoot but I have rarely lived in a house with a sufficiently pleasant textured floor, nor somewhere that could walk safely around the streets barefoot; eg. dog s*** and glass and other dangerous/disgusting stuff all over, and I hate getting my feet dirty because then can't hike my legs up under me when sit down without getting my clothes dirty, whereas can slip shoes/sandals on and off.

I did wear "tennis" style shoes barefoot for a while when younger, until got too sweaty/sticky ... which is another feeling I hate!

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 8:47 am

The best way to avoid blisters is to not wear shoes or socks at all.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 8:55 am

Socks can help keep your shoes from stinking because the absorb your sweat instead of the shoe.

But I prefer to go bare foot our wear flip-flops. Flip-flops are problematic in the winter, but a little snow between the toes can be invigorating.

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2010, 10:11 am

I love socks. I have pretty sensitve feet, I really dislike any moisture on my feet.
I generally change my socks about five or six times aday.
I get teased about how many socks
I also really have low pain tolerance on my feet.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Oct 2010, 11:50 am

i only wear lowcut socks, i have beautiful legs/calfs and need to show them off. i also love my ankles :lol:

generally i like my legs more than my arms

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 2:02 pm

Barefoot is my usual style; if my feet are chilly, then I put on socks but seldom shoes. Shoes are what I wear to go outside my home and be responsible, so are necessarily distasteful.

TiaMaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2010, 2:48 pm

I agree with & love the original post SO much.

I have always hated socks and preferred to go barefoot around the house, even in winter. It was a constant battle with my mother, always wanting me to wear socks or slippers so I wouldn't catch a cold. You know what? I never, ever get sick as an adult. Haven't been sick in years. I have worn flip-flops in the snow.

Usually I will wear flip-flops as long as it's warm, and then when temperatures get cold I just wear high heels even with jeans.. so I still look fashionable, but don't need socks. Also, if I'm out at a restaurant or in a car or something, I can easily slip the high heels off until it's time to move.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 3:13 pm

I wear socks with my shoes in the wintertime, but never during the summer, unless a special occasion should arise where etiquette rules that I must wear them.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 3:30 pm

Get crocs a size or two too big. You won't get blisters. It's the next best thing to being barefoot, too.

NOT A DOCTOR

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 3:43 pm

I love socks. They're so snuggly. :) Plus it's too cold for me without them except during the summer.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 4:15 pm

I prefer to wear socks even in the summer. I don't like the feeling of my feet being damp in my shoes.

Last edited by Severus on 30 Oct 2010, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 4:39 pm

I'd rather wear socks than not wear them at all.