Why is our society so messed up in terms of fat/skinny...

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 6:46 pm

DylanLarkins wrote:
Quote:
Can't we find a good balance where we don't value a person based on appearance but at the same time warn them about their unhealthy lifestyles?

It starts one person at a time. I do exactly this; I've lost friends because I've tried to talk to them about their eating / exercise habits. I just considered them not to be sincere enough to take me seriously, and moved on. Then again, I have a few friends who have changed their lifestyles and eating habits because of recommendations and guidance from me and others. One of my close friends lost 100 pounds in a year because I flat-out told him that he was overweight and in deteriorating health.

If you have no medical training whatsoever, you really shouldn't act like you do. :roll:

EDIT: This goes for the rest of you.

Quote:
And when weight reaches obesity levels it becomes an issue that affects the people around you.

How? By taking up more space? By breathing in more oxygen? Or is it by not looking the way YOU want them to do?

Quote:
Can't we find a good balance where we don't value a person based on appearance but at the same time warn them about their unhealthy lifestyles?

Only if people start realizing that appearance doesn't always reflect someone's habits. I'm for encouraging people to eat less junk food and exercise more, but I don't appreciate it when people direct this advice only and only to overweight people as if weight is any indication of one's lifestyle.

Quote:
People who look after their bodies should feel unashamedly proud of themselves. They've most likely put in a lot of hard work and self discipline to look the way they do.

Alternatively, maybe they just care too much about what other people think of them and succumb to the power of peer pressure. Which I thought was an NT thing, but I guess I thought wrong.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 6:53 pm

It's not surprising at all that we would mostly be fat, yet value being thin; we always consider the unattainable the most beautiful. Here it's difficult to be thin; wherever and whenever it's difficult to be fat, that's what's beautiful.

And I have never noticed ANYONE in any way EVER refrain from being as rude as possible to fat people. I've never noticed thin people getting any flack. I'm pretty sure this is a "grass is always greener" issue.

I am not amused by those who claim in all seriousness that the only way to reach my weight is to have enough sloth and gluttony for ten people. I do not eat fast food every day; I eat it perhaps once a week or less. I do care about my body; that doesn't matter. I spent a couple of years stuck in the same house ALL. THE. TIME. Eating a normal amount but never having the CHANCE to exercise let me balloon. Now that I get out sometimes, I've dropped twenty pounds without trying. But I was so heavy to start with that I'm still very fat. I've always been inclined to plumpness; I don't expect to ever dip below 190 even if I work at it. But I confess that I could work more at it, and could probably reach that point. I just would like to point out that gluttony didn't get me here by itself; enforced sloth, gross motor issues, genetics and hypothyroidism all helped.

And the reason for having a fat pride movement is simple-- society's criticism of fat people extends far past simply suggesting that we lose weight. We're constantly insulted. To consider us attractive is called a disgusting fetish. We're accused of a simple lack of willpower. Excluded from feeling beautiful. Truly fat people look at the anorexically thin standards of beauty and feel even worse than they are, faced with people forty pounds lighter who think they're disgusting balls of jelly.

Further, many people are fat due to medical conditions or the side-effects of drugs. Some people have to choose between extra bulk and psychosis or depression or panic attacks; why make the latter choices more appealing in comparison?

NOT A DOCTOR

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 7:58 pm

I find it especially pathetic when people use clothing sizes as a detirmination of what is fat and thin.

Clothing sizes are not the same across the board.
In some stores I am a 14 and others I am a 16.

and for some reason that fashion industry thinks size 10 counts as plus size. No it doesn't.

I wish the focus could be on a persons health rather then a number on a scale.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 9:04 pm

menintights wrote:
Quote:
And when weight reaches obesity levels it becomes an issue that affects the people around you.

How? By taking up more space? By breathing in more oxygen? Or is it by not looking the way YOU want them to do?

BY ENDANGERING YOUR HEALTH.

You think you're being clever here? I lost an uncle to obesity and I assure you that those who cared about him sufferred as they could do nothing but watch while he ate himself to an early grave.

This isn't about looks to me, I've made no mention of it, I've been very clear that it's the freaking health risks that concern me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 10:28 pm

I think it's crazy how doctors focus on fat and society focuses on thin and you look in these magazines like Teen or Seventeen and girls in there seem to have perfect bodies. Same as when you look in celebrity magazines, they criticize their bodies like they have a little belly, their skin is a little flabby, they have muffin tops, making it look like it's a bad thing. That's a way to get girls to have an eating disorder.

Honestly I don't understand why doctors are concerned about obesity and make it a big deal. I mean it's their bodies so people will do whatever they want with them and eat whatever they want. If I see an overweight person, I am not going to assume they are lazy and they eat too much fast food or junk food. But if I saw that is what they ate all the time, then I would think no wonder they are that heavy but then again it isn't my business what they eat. I don't even say anything about it either. I only will if they complain about how big they are. If they don't like my tips or me telling them to change their eating habits, don't complain about your size. I find that hypocritical. Unless you have some medical condition that makes you overweight.

I think the way society focuses on fat and thin is a way to create eating disorders in girls. Same as how Hollywood has thin and what is fat and what the fashion industry decides for what is plus size. OMG I wear a size ten in some things and I must be fat according to them. I even have size 12 dresses. But yet I wear a size small in Maternity pants I have. And I wear bigger dresses because of my breasts. I have felt fat due to the number for the clothing size or how Hollywood sees fat. Anyone that says I'm fat, I assume they must have a Hollywood mind. Everyone else says I am very skinny even though I am not a twig. I am average size, no skin and bones like an anorexic. And I am still skinny despite being pregnant. Only part of me that is getting bigger is my belly. Now I am starting to look huge but yet I can still sleep comfortably. I still get told I look good and only comments I get are "Your belly has gotten a lot bigger" "You're getting big" and my parents said I have gotten thinner and bigger. I think I have lost and gained weight so the number has stayed the same on the scale and one of the ladies who works with me told me I am the last person who needs to worry about their weight.

But as parents, it's your business about what your kids eat and their weight. So you as a parent decide what they can eat and not.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 10:38 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Erisad wrote:
Asp-Z: What countries are those? I'd gladly move out of America for a chance to actually be appreciated as a person. :)

I think he means places like Africa, where there is not enough food for everyone. Obesity is seen as a sign of wealth and blessing. Not everyone living in those places ARE ABLE to get fat (even if they wanted to get fat, its not possible for everyone since there is just not enough access to food).

Meh, nevermind. I don't think I'd like living in Africa anyway. :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 11:33 pm

Society sucks. That's why.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 12:04 am

I won't be caught dead telling someone they're fat and need to lose weight unless they ask for my opinion. Same with the excessively thin. Put simply, I don't give a flying f**k about someone else's weight.

It's their personal choice. If they want to change it, they'll ask for advice.

This is not the same thing as a drug addict. Drug addicts hurt people around them for their next fix. People that over eat just have more food than others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 1:19 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I won't be caught dead telling someone they're fat and need to lose weight unless they ask for my opinion. Same with the excessively thin. Put simply, I don't give a flying f**k about someone else's weight.

It's their personal choice. If they want to change it, they'll ask for advice.

This is not the same thing as a drug addict. Drug addicts hurt people around them for their next fix. People that over eat just have more food than others.

But if they get too big, it makes it hard for their kids and spouses. (Talking about people who can't leave their homes because they can't get in through the door way nor walk)

I honestly feel sorry for their partners and kids because I can't imagine my husband being like that. He won't be able to work and I would have to do everything and take care of the kids while he does nothing. Plus he won't be able to go anywhere with us nor on trips. It be sad.

But some of those people have made a success by getting surgery and losing weight.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 1:30 am

If you can't leave your house and your quality of life is so bad that your weight becomes such an issue, there's more going on then just 'eat better and get off your ass' can fix.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 2:43 am

Erisad wrote:
Asp-Z: What countries are those? I'd gladly move out of America for a chance to actually be appreciated as a person. :)

India and Africa I think. But it's not, as jc6chan suggested, because not everyone can afford to be fat, it's because the guys there think fat women are beautiful.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 7:04 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
If you can't leave your house and your quality of life is so bad that your weight becomes such an issue, there's more going on then just 'eat better and get off your ass' can fix.

Only if you let it get that far.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2010, 7:43 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Erisad wrote:

India and Africa I think. But it's not, as jc6chan suggested, because not everyone can afford to be fat, it's because the guys there think fat women are beautiful.

You think? But you don't really know. I'd be extremely skeptical of making grossly over-generalized statements that you're only guessing about.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:33 am

I have the opposite problem. I'm 5'7 and only 53kg, and everyone and their dog feels the need to bother me about it. It isn't from a health problem. It runs in my family; my sister was only 7 stone (about 46kg I think) until age 20.

I just love (sarcasm) how in society's eyes, it's okay to be fat, even if it's not from a health problem or slow metabolism and no one is allowed to even joke about it, but if you're thin, you are fair game from all freaking directions. People either b***h openly at you because they'd like to be only 53kg themselves, or act all concerned as if you were anorexic. I actually had a friend (who, coincidentally, had huge self esteem issues because she was actually a normal weight rather than having visible connective tissue) tell me she was worried about me because I was so thin. Or come up to you in the supermarket and lecture you for lifting your own damn shopping because 'a light girl like you shouldn't be lifting 12 kilograms'.

Oh, and I'm doubly wrong for being thin and having muscle. 'You look like a guy' 'your muscles look creepy' etc. You're supposed to be thin, but look soft and smooth (how do you actually do that?), and have size H breasts.

I f*****g hate so called 'normal' people sometimes.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:35 am

Lecks wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Only if you let it get that far.

Not many people do get that far, so using this as an example of what will happen if you don't intervene is misleading.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:57 am

jc6chan wrote:

That's the problem right there. People who criticize fat people are not actually concerned about their health. Calling fatness a health issue is a very thinly veiled excuse for a lack of acceptance of fat people, and an excuse to intrude into their personal lives and let them know that they are unacceptable, and ultimately an excuse to bash them.

No one has any business commenting on anyone else's health. And neither does society as a whole. When is the last time you saw a person or an article or a public discussion reprimand a person who is not fat, but has some health issue, for not following their treatment protocols to the letter? You don't see it because it's considered intrusive and rude. Yet fat people are fair game for the rude comments of others.

Not to mention that there are many fat people who are in fact healthy. For some being fat is the normal state that is right for their own body.