Mom kills baby for interrupting Facebook game

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 3:42 pm

Canadian law includes the offence of infanticide along with murder and manslaughter.

Quote:
233. A female person commits infanticide when by a wilful act or omission she causes the death of her newly-born child, if at the time of the act or omission she is not fully recovered from the effects of giving birth to the child and by reason thereof or of the effect of lactation consequent on the birth of the child her mind is then disturbed.

Given that she was only fourteen weeks postpartum, I would be open to an argument that although the interruption of her game prompted her action, that there were other circumstances that contributed to the gravity of her action.

I think we are being awfully quick to rush to judgement without knowing more about the totality of the circumstances.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:14 pm

BloodYeti wrote:
I don't think Facebook is responsible for this. Yes, she did it over the game, but I think someone who flips out enough to hurt (and kill) a child over that would most likely flip out enough to hurt (and kill) a child over a variety of things. It was Farmville, but it just as easily could have been for interrupting a TV show or waking her from a nap or something. Clearly, she was unfit to be a mother.

It's a shame for the baby.

As much as I don't care for Facebook, I'm not going to blame them that the baby's mother has no ethics.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:46 pm

I've thought about this, and the fact is we don't know what was going on in the woman's mind. She seems to have had no social network, she was mourning her mother, and on top of that post partum is a difficult emotional time for many women. Where were her friends and neighbours?

And she doesn't look like a meth head. She looks like someone with flat effect, possibly from shock, or some other condition that we don't know about.

Scars
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2010, 5:08 pm

This woman murdered her child... over a Facebook game. And yes, this is murder, not manslaughter. Saying that somebody killed a baby on accident by shaking it is like saying that somebody killed a man on accident by throwing rocks at them. Everybody knows that shaking an infant, especially one that young can cause death.

25 - 50 years is a decent sentence for her.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:25 pm

Have you ever heard of post natal psychoses?

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:27 pm

Don't blame Facebook - blame the mental healthcare of that woman's country.

Faidin
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 7:33 pm

That is the saddest thing I've read in a long time =((

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2010, 9:14 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
For God's sake Farmville is one of the stupidest games ever to be invented!

Agreed.