Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jadw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

Just a thought. If you are aware that the things you are seeing aren't real, can't you just ignore them and pretend they don't exist?

This is all there ever was all along...

When the fog clears and the clouds disappear
We will see with clarity, this is what remains here
You are all that I have now, you are all that I miss
Since when did we need more to life than this?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 7:21 pm

Hi Jadw,
my own experience is that this is sometimes hard to do. For example, I can't learn to drive, mainly because the stress of being behind the wheel (I'm dyspraxic) kicks off hallucinations. I might know perfectly well that there isn't a horse or a small child right in front of the car, but I'm still going to break when an image like that flashes across. And the one time I think "hallucination" and don't break, it might be real.

Today I've had some mild episodes, and I've been able to ignore them, though they are deeply annoying. I've heard the voice of someone who bullied me talking about me, calling me horrible names, and sneering at me. The only time it stopped was when I started practicing my guitar. While I know that she's not there, she's not really talking about me, and her opinion counts for nothing anyway, it's still upsetting to have a running commentary in your head. You can't help but react to it, at least emotionally. I know what's started it though, and hopefully things will ease off as I deal with the stressful situation.

And that's at the mild end. When hallucinations "take on flesh and walk among us" then it becomes impossible to ignore them.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 9:34 am

No response from the OP, so I'm yet more convinced this was a joke thread. :?

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 5:54 pm

dont be so hard on the op.

A few years back I had delusions that appeared overnight. i felt things they weren't there, saw things that weren't there and had delusions and paranoia. all overnight.

it may not be common but it does happen.
perhaps it is a psychotic episode brought on by stress or trauma like mine was. the psychotic episode appeared overnight and lasted about a year or so then left as suddenly as it came.

the fact is this person is asking for help. so give advice and help, dont criticize.

if you feel the need , contact a moderator but dont question the op. by doing that you might scare away a genuine person just asking for help.

to the op...
Have you been under stress or suffered some sort of trauma? if so you might be having a psychotic episode brought on by stress or trauma. it will subside once your able to deal with the stress and are in a better environment and have better support people in your life.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 8:20 pm

It's not just the fact that the delusions appeared overnight. If you notice, people didn't immediately question him over that. Although rare, it can sometimes happen.

What really rang the alarm for me was that, within twenty four hours of his delusion he had found a doctor to prescribe him anti psychotics... and those antipsychotics started working immediately. This just isn't possible.

Yes, delusions can appear overnight.

If you're lucky you can see a psychiatrist shortly after said delusions.

Psychiatrist will go into your medical history, interview you several times to ascertain what's wrong with you... this can take anything from a few days to several months. (In my case twenty years.) It simply never happens overnight.

Having come to a diagnoses the psychiatrist will make tentative judgments about your best medical treatment. If they decide on antipsychotics, they will start on a very low dose, and titrate upwards. Even if they pick the perfect antipsychotic for you on the very first try, it will take several weeks to begin working. In my case they picked a drug that helped with the psychoses, but had several unpleasant side effects... so I had to go onto another one. The whole process from final diagnoses took six months. And I was very lucky.

Basically, the timeframe for the episode the OP is talking about simply isn't realistic.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

You are probably hallucinating. You should see a doctor right away. Hallucinations can get VERY nasty.

P.S. I don't think you're lying.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2010, 3:29 pm

Shadwell wrote:
Seriously it sounds like it could be symptoms of schizophrenia

That's what I was thinking too. I'm schitziphrenic not that it means anything.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 5:32 pm

Or maybe they are not hallucinations, in which case the doctor wont help you, you need "The Exorcist!"

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2010, 12:41 am

MasterJedi wrote:
good movie. you capitalized the A in aliens which indicates a proper noun (eg; movie title)

Game over man! Game over Man!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 5:35 pm

There was one time when I was 14, when I saw an alien in my bedroom.

shibashaba
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2011, 9:35 pm

Whether it's a joke or not aspiepoptard is a really cool name.

He posted early in the morning, maybe he broke into the office at the hospital.

Vicious_Snake
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2011, 9:00 am

I can see aliens outside my bedroom window at night and on the rooftops. They are watching me, for some reason.
What you are experiencing is not a psychotic illusion, it is a manifestation of aliens in a dimension close to ours. They cannot hurt you, but they don't want you to see them...

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2011, 9:35 pm

Vicious_Snake wrote:
I can see aliens outside my bedroom window at night and on the rooftops. They are watching me, for some reason.
What you are experiencing is not a psychotic illusion, it is a manifestation of aliens in a dimension close to ours. They cannot hurt you, but they don't want you to see them...

Obvious troll is obvious.

Seeing your doctor is the best advice if you're having hallucinations.

shibashaba

16 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm

You know, if the aliens are in another dimension then they're probably not aliens. They probably live there.

Vicious_Snake
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2011, 11:34 am

Whisper wrote:
Vicious_Snake wrote:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Seeing your doctor is the best advice if you're having hallucinations.

Don't doubt what you cannot see.