Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Oct 2010, 9:54 pm

I searched and found that tapatalk has been mentioned as part of threads but wanted to suggest it. I do 99% of my surfing from my phone. I used to use a Blackberry that tended to lose my posts but generally worked but since moving to Android have not been able to take part.

I have found that the Android browser and Opera mini seem to have problems with WrongPlanet.net. I have discovered tapatalk for use in other forums and feel that if WrongPlanet uses a compatible system it would be a good move for WP. This is outside of my admittedly selfish desire to use the site again.

According to the FAQ at http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php you can load the free software on forums running phpBB3 3.0.x, vBulletin 3.7.x/3.8.x/4.0.x, Invision Power Board (IPB) 3.0.x and Simple Machine Forum (SMF) 1.1.x/2.0.

I don't know what WP uses but if it is compatible it would be awesome if tapatalk worked. it is available for IOS, Android, Symbian and Blackberry as a beta.

Please consider it. Thank you.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2010, 10:43 am

We are at this moment incompatible. I will look into options for the site to be mobile friendly as we evaluate our options moving forward. The software will have to be updated eventually but nothing is solid as of yet. When we know exactly what direction we will take and how things will change we will be sure to provide the community adequate notice. Until then tapatalk will be one of the enhancements I will evaluate for the new platform. Thank you for your suggestion.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 11:55 am

This forum runs phpBB2, mate. Won't work

What problems does the Android browser have? Try using Dolphin instead.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:45 am

Which phone are you using? My HTC Desire, running Android 2.1 runs WP perfectly in the native browser. I access the site almost daily from it to read and make small posts but a month ago I was using it for all input before I could buy a new PC.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:02 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Which phone are you using? My HTC Desire, running Android 2.1 runs WP perfectly in the native bro
wser. I access the site almost daily from it to read and make small posts but a month ago I was using it for all input before I could buy a new PC.

Now upgraded to 2.2 (latest version) and still ok. This reply is being typed on it now! :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:07 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:
Which phone are you using? My HTC Desire, running Android 2.1 runs WP perfectly in the native bro
wser. I access the site almost daily from it to read and make small posts but a month ago I was using it for all input before I could buy a new PC.

Now upgraded to 2.2 (latest version) and still ok. This reply is being typed on it now! :lol:

2.3 comes out in a week or so, then a few months later, HTC will actually bother to give it to you, just in time for 2.4.

The laziness of the manufacturers is Android's only major downfall TBH.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:30 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
2.3 comes out in a week or so, then a few months later, HTC will actually bother to give it to you, just in time for 2.4.

If you don't want to wait for manufacturers get a Google branded handset like the Nexus One. To be honest I'd rather wait for the added benefits of HTC Sense anyway - I prefer it to standard Android and even with that wait it's still way ahead of any rival smart phone OS in terms of speed.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 2:21 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

If you don't want to wait for manufacturers get a Google branded handset like the Nexus One. To be honest I'd rather wait for the added benefits of HTC Sense anyway - I prefer it to standard Android and even with that wait it's still way ahead of any rival smart phone OS in terms of speed.

I plan to get either a Nexus S or a PlayStation Phone some time soon.

The best thing to do is install an unofficial 2.3 build with Sense on it. They aren't around yet because, obviously, 2.3 isn't out at the moment, but within a week of its release you'll be swamped with custom ROMs to choose from.

I do find it funny how hobby hackers manage to release Sense ROMs before HTC :lol:

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

The best thing to do is install an unofficial 2.3 build with Sense on it. They aren't around yet because, obviously, 2.3 isn't out at the moment, but within a week of its release you'll be swamped with custom ROMs to choose from.

I do find it funny how hobby hackers manage to release Sense ROMs before HTC :lol:

But HTC tend to improve the Sense slightly so I'm happy to wait - there's no rush!

Didn't I see you championing Apple in other threads? I take it you see the future is Android now? :D

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:13 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

But HTC tend to improve the Sense slightly so I'm happy to wait - there's no rush!

Didn't I see you championing Apple in other threads? I take it you see the future is Android now? :D

Fair enough.

I try not to be too biased to any one company. I like Apple a lot but I see a lack of innovation on the iPhone side (unless you count antennas which don't get a signal as "innovation") whereas there's a lot of new Android phones coming out and a lot of exciting leaks, too.

I also like Android's openness - I'm the kind of guy who likes modifying everything just for the hell of it, see :D

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:23 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Fair enough.

I try not to be too biased to any one company. I like Apple a lot but I see a lack of innovation on the iPhone side (unless you count antennas which don't get a signal as "innovation") whereas there's a lot of new Android phones coming out and a lot of exciting leaks, too.

I also like Android's openness - I'm the kind of guy who likes modifying everything just for the hell of it, see :D

All very good reasons! I don't tend to be too into a company either but I do tend to be against Apple!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:26 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Fair enough.

All very good reasons! I don't tend to be too into a company either but I do tend to be against Apple!

How comes?

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
How comes?

I don't like the way they seem to always hold things back for the next model, the way they market their products and particularly the way that their products are heralded as being the best on the market (by the masses) when it rarely, technologically, is - Just because something looks nicer, doesn't mean it's better inside! :wink:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:28 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
How comes?

I don't like the way they seem to always hold things back for the next model, the way they market their products and particularly the way that their products are heralded as being the best on the market (by the masses) when it rarely, technologically, is - Just because something looks nicer, doesn't mean it's better inside! :wink:

To be fair, pretty much all tech companies hold things back for the next models.

Their products are never brand new ideas, I agree, but they present technology in a useful way. Tablets before the iPad sucked. The iPad made tablets a useful concept at last.

I also find it funny how, as soon as Apple launches something, all the other tech companies rush to copy it. Look at all these new tablets all of a sudden! I think, for R&D, some companies just stream Apple events and tell their engineers "copy this" :lol:

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:42 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
To be fair, pretty much all tech companies hold things back for the next models.

Their products are never brand new ideas, I agree, but they present technology in a useful way. Tablets before the iPad sucked. The iPad made tablets a useful concept at last.

I also find it funny how, as soon as Apple launches something, all the other tech companies rush to copy it. Look at all these new tablets all of a sudden! I think, for R&D, some companies just stream Apple events and tell their engineers "copy this" :lol:

They do, but not to the extent of Apple, who hold loads of tech currently available on other devices(much lower-end ones too) back to ensure sales of the next model. They know they can do this with the hype built over the company due to iPod's and it's crap.

What makes iPad so useful? From what I can see they're a waste of time, just like Galaxy Tab and all the others coming out. I actually used to really dislike your old avatar as it seemed very fanboy.

You're right about other companies mimicking them too but I dislike it. Android has copied many things, yes but it's a vast improvement and those will become less. I can't believe people actually download iOS emulators for Android - kinda sad!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:54 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

They do, but not to the extent of Apple, who hold loads of tech currently available on other devices(much lower-end ones too) back to ensure sales of the next model. They know they can do this with the hype built over the company due to iPod's and it's crap.

What makes iPad so useful? From what I can see they're a waste of time, just like Galaxy Tab and all the others coming out. I actually used to really dislike your old avatar as it seemed very fanboy.

You're right about other companies mimicking them too but I dislike it. Android has copied many things, yes but it's a vast improvement and those will become less. I can't believe people actually download iOS emulators for Android - kinda sad!

Nah, I think they all do it to the same extent. Look at the Dell Streak - pretty underpowered by today's standards, but they'll be able to launch the next one with a dual core whatever-the-next-processor-will-be and get people to upgrade.

The iPad was the first tablet which actually had a mobile OS optimised for tablet hardware as opposed to a full blown OS with a touch screen and a stylus thrown on top. Those old tablets were also very expensive - >£1,000 from what I remember.

I have an iPad and I find it very useful for basic computing - checking e-mails, browsing the web, playing games, etc. We know this kind of thing is already popular because netbooks sell so much, and iPads are already eating that market up because they do everything they do much more nicely. That's all there is to it really; look at what people like and improve it. That's all Apple's products are. Combine that with a very good PR team and you have Apple's secret recipe.

Android is something I like because it's unique in its approach. They may have copied some UI elements from Apple, but iOS and Android are polar opposites, and it's always great to see mainstream open source software in any market.