Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:10 pm

oddone wrote:
There may not be a case in the court yet. The blog involved is showing a tiny fragment of a legal letter threatening proceedings for injunctions and damages. A Claim might not have been and might never be issued.

True, whoever's suing him seems to have just wanted the stuff about Alex's sister gone, and it has indeed been removed from the blog, so it seems likely it'll be sorted outside of court.

I'm not a lawyer, though, so I could be completely wrong.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:25 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
The OP of the original deleted thread quoted the article from another site and is not the same person as the blogger who wrote the article which has triggered a lawsuit.

Thank you very much for this clarification.

I was under the impression they were the same person, and had wondered if, possibly, the legal action might have been brought by A.S. due to the deleted OP.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2010, 12:27 pm

A solicitor's letter costs nothing. It's when you issue your Claim it gets expensive. In the High Court it gets very expensive very fast. So hopefully it stops here. If not, we could always go on a family outing to the Royal Courts of Justice (or the appropriate District Registry) and watch all the fun in person. Don't think about the money being squandered though - it gets depressing.

The loser is usually ordered to pay the winner's costs, but that does you no good if he's a man of straw. The solicitors will make sure they are getting paid by someone before they even look at a Claim form.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:29 pm

oddone wrote:
A solicitor's letter costs nothing. It's when you issue your Claim it gets expensive. In the High Court it gets very expensive very fast. So hopefully it stops here. If not, we could always go on a family outing to the Royal Courts of Justice (or the appropriate District Registry) and watch all the fun in person. Don't think about the money being squandered though - it gets depressing.

The loser is usually ordered to pay the winner's costs, but that does you no good if he's a man of straw. The solicitors will make sure they are getting paid by someone before they even look at a Claim form.

You sound knowledgeable on the subject. Do you work in law?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 9:13 am

I think that Alex himself put his sister up for ridicule when he announced to the world she is Bi-Polar. What did he think would happen when he breached her anonymity?

as for lawyering, Alex comes from a family connected to several law firms so he is never at a loss for formal and effective representation.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 9:59 am

sharing a diagnosis does NOT open someone up to having such comments and pictures as was seen on The New Republic posted about them. NOT AT ALL. this is the first time ive ever seen that site, and i found it crass and offensive.

there are lots of us here on WP that post our family members diagnosis. does that mean its open season for sites like TNR to post nude pictures saying its our family members and talking about perpetrating sexual acts upon them?

thats not satire. its not even funny. its defamation.

i do wonder if it would also be considered acceptable if it was an nt site posting such pictures and commentary about someones announced autistic family member. something tells me not as many people would find it fair satire. i think there are those that look only at the neurological status of someone or how "anti- autism speaks" they are rather than at the actual content and message they are putting forth.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Nov 2010, 11:06 am

i mean i'm no fan of AS, but imagine your sister in that picture. would you let some guy continue to post garbage like that? you can take things too far.

as for that blog, it was an eyesore.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:09 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I think that Alex himself put his sister up for ridicule ...

Ah now, you know better than that!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:18 pm

Alex says no one can post links to The New Republic anymore and made some pretty extreme allegations against it, I've PM'd him about it and await his reply. Until then, no one link to the blog on WP. Not that this really matters at the moment since it's down now anyway, but still, consider this a heads up.

To be honest, I am not defending the content of the blog at all, I only just found out about it when all this lawsuit crap started. I mean, I saw it around before then, but not really paid all that much attention to it. For the record, I disagree with the stuff about Alex's sister too. As much as I dislike AS and censorship, I can't say I support what's been done here.

Anyway, big news: THIS BLOGGER LAWSUIT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH WRONG PLANET OR AUTISM SPEAKS. IT IS ABOUT A VIDEO.

Check the blog linked in the OP for the actual story.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:32 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Alex says no one can post links to The New Republic anymore and made some pretty extreme allegations against it ...

... and he has ever right to do exactly that for whatever his own personal reasons might be. He welcomes people here without expectation, and he can just as rightly send them away even *without* explanation ... but I doubt he would ever do that.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 9:31 am

leejosepho wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
I think that Alex himself put his sister up for ridicule ...

Ah now, you know better than that!

I suppose I have a bias towards not breaching other persons' anonymity. It was a principle that was suggested to me as a guide to treating other people like I would like to be treated myself, and perhaps I shouldn't expect others to adhere to the respectful practice of allowing others to share what they want to share and not having others 'out' them publicly.

Not being a moderator, I no longer have to look at distasteful crap that people post, so I didn't even go to the offending post. In no way am I connecting what someone posted that involved Alex's sister as something Alex did. What I am driving at is that if Alex hadn't mentioned her publicly then his sister would not have been involved at all.

There was a reason that gentlemen would have duels and fistfights when a lady's name was mentioned in rough talk by other men. Brothers are supposed to protect their honor, at least that is what my psychologist tells me.

your mileage may vary, Joseph.

Merle

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 9:45 am

sinsboldly wrote:
What I am driving at is that if Alex hadn't mentioned her publicly then his sister would not have been involved at all.

I was already aware of your blaming him.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 9:01 am

leejosepho wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
What I am driving at is that if Alex hadn't mentioned her publicly then his sister would not have been involved at all.

I was already aware of your blaming him.

so what is your point, then? What is it that I should 'know better' about?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 9:37 am

sinsboldly wrote:

Alex did not put his sister up for ridicule -- he is in no way responsible for the ridicule placed upon his sister. Ask him. Whatever happened there was at the hand of someone else.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:08 am

leejosepho wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Alex did not put his sister up for ridicule -- he is in no way responsible for the ridicule placed upon his sister. Ask him. Whatever happened there was at the hand of someone else.

His sister wasn't the butt of disgusting posts BEFORE he acknowledged her on this board, was she? What changed? Now people know about her, that is what changed.

When Alex identified his sister, she immediately became a target of ridicule at the hands of others. We agree on that point.
My point is did Alex even consider that this might happen if he acknowledged his relationship with his sister? Alex has a high profile on this message board. Did he pause and ponder how that information be used against him by attacking his sister?

With power comes responsibility with great power comes greater responsibility.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:50 am

sinsboldly wrote:
My point is did Alex even consider that this might happen ...

You believe that is a point, but it is actually a question.

Ask him.