Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 10:22 pm

Did somebody mention Stalin? The Koch family that helped mastermind the Teabaggers made its fortune working for Stalin, helping develop Soviet oil. They did a marvellous job for the Soviet Union. Stalin gave them the opportunity that the USA under Calvin Coolidge, Right-wing saint, would not allow.

As for Pelosi, I do not understand this caricature of her. Her crime is that she's a woman and she represents a district in a part of the country known for hippies. That means she is a secret communist. When she correctly said that unemployment insurance is one of the most stimulative means of spending federal money the Right naturally went crazy displaying its ignorance on one hand and deliberately mischaracterising her statement to their brainwashed followers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 8:14 am

xenon13 wrote:

As for Pelosi, I do not understand this caricature of her. Her crime is that she's a woman and she represents a district in a part of the country known for hippies. That means she is a secret communist. When she correctly said that unemployment insurance is one of the most stimulative means of spending federal money the Right naturally went crazy displaying its ignorance on one hand and deliberately mischaracterising her statement to their brainwashed followers.

Tax supported unemployment insurance is of dubious constitutionality. But constitutionality is a matter of small concern to Pelosi.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 8:54 am

ruveyn wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Tax supported unemployment insurance is of dubious constitutionality. But constitutionality is a matter of small concern to Pelosi.

ruveyn

Could you imagine the impact of NO unemployment insurance? It has kept a roof over the heads of millions who lost their jobs due to the foolishness and greed of the banks. Today, 1 out of 4 homes sold are foreclosed properties, usually sold at deep discounts. Without the unemployment benefits that have kept millions afloat, what would that number be? 2 out of 4, maybe 3 out of 4? Your equity, if you are fortunate enough to have any, is, in part, a direct result of unemployment insurance.

I won't even bother to go into an argument about the humanitarian effect that no unemployment insurance would have. Most Tea Partiers come from the FYIGM (f you, I got mine) school of thought.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 9:18 am

number5 wrote:

Could you imagine the impact of NO unemployment insurance? It has kept a roof over the heads of millions who lost their jobs due to the foolishness and greed of the banks. Today, 1 out of 4 homes sold are foreclosed properties, usually sold at deep discounts. Without the unemployment benefits that have kept millions afloat, what would that number be? 2 out of 4, maybe 3 out of 4? Your equity, if you are fortunate enough to have any, is, in part, a direct result of unemployment insurance.

An excellent argument for -amending- the U.S. Constitution so it would be unquestionably legal for the Fed to tax productive people to give money to people who do not, will not or cannot work. In the mean time Art I Sec 8 of the U.S. Constitution lists the powers of Congress and running an unemployment insurance scheme is not among these powers.

ruveyn

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It just occurred to me that Nancy Pelosi is two heartbeats away from being President of the United States.

That is a scary thought.

ruveyn

---

Could Nancy Pelosi change her name to Betsy Ross?

Would that make you feel more secure by implying she has wrapped the American flag around traditional values?

(...just kidding a little...)

- - -

Give me liberty or give me death.

- Patrick Henry

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm

ruveyn wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

ruveyn

The Supreme Court ruled on that in 1940 or so... So much for that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:34 pm

xenon13 wrote:

The Supreme Court ruled on that in 1940 or so... So much for that.

After FDR threatened to pack the court I am not surprised at what unjust nonsense came out. See also the Wichard decision. It was a time of crooked thought.

Some one once said that Supreme Court justices read the newspapers too.

ruveyn

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

Ah yes, the Supreme Court no longer struck down laws against child labour and minimum wage laws like they did always from 1900-36... slavery for most of course promotes the General Welfare...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Nov 2010, 10:20 pm

Looks like Pelosi is going to stick around as the minority leader. Democrats must love losing. She's absolutely toxic to the democrats national image.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 2:46 am

Polls showed that the Congressional Republicans were LESS popular than the Congressional Democrats, that Boehner is less popular than Pelosi, yet that orange person was able to be nearly the speaker...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:08 am

I don't think enough people know who Boehner is to have an overwhelmingly negative opinion of him, yet.

Saying that, I think you'd probably rather have John Boehner as speaker tho than Michelle Bachmann despite his orangeness. I actually like Bachmann but I can she her being lightning rod similar to the way Pelosi is.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:12 am

Jacoby wrote:
I don't think enough people know who Boehner is to have an overwhelmingly negative opinion of him, yet.

Saying that, I think you'd probably rather have John Boehner as speaker tho than Michelle Bachmann despite his orangeness. I actually like Bachmann but I can she her being lightning rod similar to the way Pelosi is.

Boehner definitely isn't "orange" in the Canadian Political Sense. :wink:

As for Bachmann, I think the nonexistence of her connection to reality will be the biggest factor going against her.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:36 am

A lot of people say the same about Pelosi. There is a certain amount of sexism to it. Female politicians are always portrayed as either dimwits, sluts, crazy, or as a b*tch.

I'd be for Bachmann being speaker if there was a GOP president and you could actually pass legislation but they'd be better served having a relatively uncontroversial Boehner going forward the next 2 years since the goal is to knock Obama off in 2012. You can't anything too ambitious with a democratic controlled senate and one in the White House.

I actually think Boehner's orangeness and tendency to cry while giving speeches will make him somewhat endearing to people.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:40 am

Jacoby wrote:
A lot of people say the same about Pelosi. There is a certain amount of sexism to it. Female politicians are always portrayed as either dimwits, sluts, crazy, or as a b*tch.

I'd be for Bachmann being speaker if there was a GOP president and you could actually pass legislation but they'd be better served having a relatively uncontroversial Boehner going forward the next 2 years since the goal is to knock Obama off in 2012. You can't anything too ambitious with a democratic controlled senate and one in the White House.

I actually think Boehner's orangeness and tendency to cry while giving speeches will make him somewhat endearing to people.

You're kidding about Bachmann, right? Because she's said a host of insane, wrong things, has added fuel to this most recent Red Scare, and has said downright wrong things about the Census.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:14 am

I apparently misunderstood her running for a leadership as her running for speaker so I apologize for that. She wants to replace Mike Pence as chairman of House Republican Conference. I thought that was a bit odd when I heard that since she hasn't been in the house very long.

MP, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things she's said in the past since she has been working with Ron Paul closely and has taken some liberty minded positions on constitutionalism and the Fed. I don't agree with her on social issues or foreign policy but I think Dr. Paul has her moving in the right direction.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:51 am

Jacoby wrote:

I don't recall hearing such slanders uttered about Condie Rice. Unfortunately she totally subordinated her intelligence to the doings of a piss poor administration. If she had quit and told the world just how stupid the foreign policy of the Bush administration was, she might have had a political future.

ruveyn