Have you experienced bullying in your neighbourhood

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2010, 5:59 am

Hi there all

Just like to know what forms of bullying and discrimination you have experienced within your neighbourhood.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:49 am

I think much, much more research and support are needed for neighbourhood bullying of Aspies, because the more independent Aspie (when having to fend for themselves and not having the support of having another member of the household because they live alone) is rather vulnerable to neighbourhood bullying. At a previous address a next door neighbour targeted me, threatening (and actually started out the process of carrying out) assault, and accused me of being a paedophile. I was so traumatised and frightened that I moved house as soon as possible. At another previous address, I was targeted by local youths with stones regularly being thrown at my window. At my current address, youths have regularly congregated right outside my flat committing all forms of antisocial behaviour, though amazingly hardly any of this has been targeted at me in particular, they are just in the stairwell rather than deliberately outside my flat in particular mostly. It's just that I've coped with it a lot less well than the other two addresses I mention.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 8:23 am

A couple of years ago when I lived in a cul-de-sac, the neighborhood kids sometimes made fun of me. One of them made fun of the way I run, another made fun of my weight, and yet another made fun of my teeth. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 9:57 am

Nearly all the time from 1977 onwards. But almost every area I lived in I had received Aspiphobic abuse. In my current place I have had kids throwing stones at the window and running off ad accusations of being a paedophile like in the first post on this thread. I hardly go out anywhere. I know what kind does this is the thicko neurotypical. Ignorance is no excuse for Aspiphobia which it is because those that do this or neurotypicals that send their kids to harass AS people are just too thick to care. They do not want to know about autism/Asperger syndrome. :arrow:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Nov 2010, 11:32 am

nope. those days are long gone and i dont miss them! i'm an adult now and mostly everyone treats me with respect. i am a respected member of my community! :pig:

8O :D

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm

If I did the bully's house would have no windows durring the winter I can tell you that. I would wait for windy white out conditions to do it. 8)

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:24 pm

Keeno wrote:
At a previous address a next door neighbour targeted me, threatening (and actually started out the process of carrying out) assault, and accused me of being a paedophile.

Snap. One neighbour ran a long campaign that involved whispering obscenities whenever I passed, moving and stealing things from the front of my house (plant pots, or just the plant, or just the pot), then putting them back, and throwing strange rubbish into my garden. He wanted people to believe that I imagined it all, because I was "psycho". Then one day he completely lost control and screamed a lot of abuse at me, and carried on after I closed the door - including suggesting that I had a sexual interest in his dog. After he sobered up, he realised that every neighbour had heard it all, and I have not seen him in public for two years!

But there is always something, usually subtle and sometimes obvious.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:08 pm

That's where the bullying started. I was six when kids started to pick on me. I get told to go home or go away and I can remember this older girl didn't want me around so she kept pulling my shoes off and throwing them and I would run after them to get them. To me it was all a game so I kept coming back just so she throw my shoes. :lol:

I also remember these older boys saying they were going to call the cops on me if I don't go home so they take off their shoes and pretend to make a phone call to the police.

I was also teased on the bus by these 6th graders when I was eight who lived in my neighborhood and then when I was nine, it ended because the were in 7th grade and didn't ride my bus anymore. So I got less bulling on the bus.

I also remember these kids would throw pine cones over the fence at me and my friends were there when it happened.

When I look back I think not all of it was bullying, kids not wanting me around wasn't bullying. Would I want someone in my house if they couldn't follow the rules because they couldn't pick up on the hidden curriculum? Even if it was an autistic person who couldn't stop touching my stuff and moving things or he liked ruining things, I wouldn't want him in my apartment either. That isn't bullying. I think that is also why I be told to go home by neighborhood kids because I was too difficult to be around because of my AS. Sure I didn't destroy stuff but I was careless and didn't seem to care and I touched everything and I had troubles connecting to them. I would go over to play and I be sent away.

I also remember this one boy was mean to me because I was a girl and this other boy was mean to me because I was "stupid" but they were both not nice boys. One of them was even mean to my little brother too. I don't know why. Ironically both those kids had problems and my mom wonders if they both had AS :lol: They were both obsessed. One of them was obsessed about war and was very bossy and the other was obsessed with Power Rangers and then he moved onto another obsession like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Plus the other kid was literal and the other was a smart alec and couldn't seem to tell the difference between home behavior and school behavior so he was always getting into trouble at school. His parents let him be a smart ass because they thought it was so cute. But honestly I don't know what he had. He had problems and his parents never took him to get counseling because they believed god will make him a better person by praying to him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm

in school i was physically bullied until i started standing head and shoulders taller than the other bullies, at which point the mental bullying began. in my part of greater hooterville, the bullying is relatively rare [against me] but my neighbors are not nice at all. there are some yahoos who sick their dogs on me when i bicycle or walk then laugh at me up their sleeves, which is why i always wear pepper spray now. one of these days i will have to just pack up and move to someplace with less people, including less mean people.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 3:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
in school i was physically bullied until i started standing head and shoulders taller than the other bullies, at which point the mental bullying began. in my part of greater hooterville, the bullying is relatively rare [against me] but my neighbors are not nice at all. there are some yahoos who sick their dogs on me when i bicycle or walk then laugh at me up their sleeves, which is why i always wear pepper spray now. one of these days i will have to just pack up and move to someplace with less people, including less mean people.

Just so you know, I googled hooterville to find out where it was, even though I thought it might not be real! :clown:

I must admit to being slightly pleased in a Cro-Magnon way when my little Autie (who is very gentle), gets a look of firey coals in his eyes at some kid imposing on his space and taking his stuff and then grabs their face lightening fast and pinches as hard as he can, I like that he is looking out for himself.

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2010, 6:07 am

I had to pack up and move once because of neighbourhood bullying. I had rocks thown at our roof, flood lights pointed in our yard, rubish
thrown in our yard, hoseing our house over the fence. Even my dog was baited. I have also had people laugh in my face as they bable some snide remark , and most common of all is the conderending/sarcastic smile. Somehow I think they are trying to assert their perceived superiority over me. They really want to make sure you notice they are giving you the signals of rejection. Once you experience the stress it really constricts and limits your life. You start to feel unworthy to even exist. Even the front yard becomes no mans land. Is there no where for us to live. The ironic thing is that in reality I was probably the most inoffensive and conscientious person in the street. I can't understand the NT mentality. I would never put any one down or try to hurt them even if they have a worse disability than me. We are all entitled to dignaty and respect no matter what.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 9:17 pm

nostromo wrote:
Just so you know, I googled hooterville to find out where it was, even though I thought it might not be real!

hooterville is a term of derision for small-town america in general, but it originated on the tv programs "petticoat junction" and "green acres."

nostromo wrote:
I must admit to being slightly pleased in a Cro-Magnon way when my little Autie (who is very gentle), gets a look of firey coals in his eyes at some kid imposing on his space and taking his stuff and then grabs their face lightening fast and pinches as hard as he can, I like that he is looking out for himself.

he will do alright.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 12:03 am

To me personaly? No. I knew a boy with AS who was severely bullied. I wonder if I never got bullied becuase I carried my chihuahua around with me everywhere TO distract people from the fact there was something off about me and plus if anyone treated me the way they did my friend, I would have litteraly kicked their ass. I stuck up for my friend and defended him whenever other kids (even those years younger than him) would gang up on him and torment him. I was usualy able to chase them off with words but if it got physical I would have defended him with my fists. He had a classic "gay lisp" and was bullied about that the most. It was a conservative little hick town basicaly and everyone hated homosexuals or anyone who sounded like one.

ClassicAutism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Nov 2010, 12:22 am

In my neighborhood only one time for around three months, I was hanging around the wrong kids and they would treat me like trash. I never talked to them again and they even moved away, good riddance! I had a lot of bulling outside of my neighborhood which I can talk about all night.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 1:43 am

There were some neighborhood boys that were nothing but bullies. But this was back in the 70s and 80s and these twits are long gone. THis is an aging neighborhood now, with few children.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:01 am

School bullying yes...neighbourhood bullying...nope. So far I was lucky, ...all of the neighbours I had were really nice.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!