holy_littleanimekid wrote:
thanks guys
any tips on tuning cause everytime i tune it i have to use a tuner machine

Assuming the 6th string is at least close to its own "E":
The 5th fret on the 6th string then plays the "A" for string 5;
The 5th fret on the 5th string then plays the "D" for string 4;
The 5th fret on the 4th string then plays the "G" for string 3;
The 4th fret on the 3rd string then plays the "B" for string 2;
The 5th fret on the 2nd string then plays the "E" for string 1.

Or, I believe it is the 7th fret on string 5 that is an octave above string 6 open,
then the 7th fret on 4 is an octave above 5 open and so on until you get to string 2.

However, there is an "accumulated error" that will likely show itself as a result of that kind of progression from one string to the next, so ...

What I do is to play the 1st and 6th strings open and together (using a pick) along with the 4th string at the 2nd fret,
and that lets you play 3 octaves of "E" and get them all sounding right together ...
and then I play the "G" found at the 3rd fret on the 1st string for tuning the 3rd string open,
and then the 2nd fret on that freshly-tuned 3rd string can provide an octave "A" for string 5,
and then the 2nd fret on 5 can provide an octave "B" for string 2 ...
and then the 3rd fret on string 2 can be used to check against the "D" of string 4 open ...
and all of that works especially well when tuning a 12-string guitar that can be hyper-sensitive to using the 5th fret for tuning.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:18 pm

holy_littleanimekid wrote:
i really want to learn to guitar any tips for someone who is just starting out

Simply pick it up, learn some chords to a simple song and play. You'll probably advance quite quickly in your first 6 months to a year. After that it's all about the obsessive dedication.

Oh, and have fun :)

JeffDmetalgod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2010, 3:34 pm

I've been playing for 28 years and am one of those with near perfect pitch I tried to explain it to a friend that I "remember" what my E string should sound like. I am primarily self taught and started on a cheap electric guitar ( a Harmony flying V!) I did take lessons for 5 years which mostly consisted of bringing a tape to my teacher and having him show me the song. I play by ear and memory I can't read musical notation but tablature or tab,really helped me out along with book/tape and video lessons. I play heavy metal mostly. But the main thing is practice! I used to spend 6-10 hour days practicing to get my chops up. Good luck!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:41 pm

Wow, Jeff! That's some serious practicing.

On a good day, when I'm not depressed, I can practice for hours at a time till my fingers ache... and I've noticed that my left hand span has increased significantly over the last year when compared with my right hand. They used to be the same.

Since I'm not working at the moment, once housework is done, there's no reason why I shouldn't practice for more hours a day than I do. Thanks for the inspiration!