What support services are we in need of the most

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jumla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2010, 2:55 am

applesauce wrote:
There's an attitude that any job is ok for someone with Autism and we should just take it or live on benefit and be happy.

Funny, I've also noticed that the attitude among some educational institutions is that people with disabilities should be happy with getting low pass marks, and that anything above this calls into question your eligibility for disability assistance.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 7:01 am

I would like to see some kind of training centre or courses for how to interact socially at work and outside work. It would be benefit to everyone (maybe even some NT's). We could get advice and info on what people actually mean when they say this or that. Also how to respond to body language and what we should look out for. Things like that would really help me I think. But I also need some good way of managing all the stress I suffer. So they should start giving out Diazapam.

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2010, 8:28 am

[quote="kat_ross"

Increased public education/awareness is also so important because not only could it increase understanding/promote tolerance in school or in the workplace, but also because it could in a way make up for shortcomings among medical professionals [/quote]

Thanks everone for your contribution to this thread,

I agree kat_ross

increased public education and awareness is the key first step to achieving our wish list. This perhaps should be the first priority as public knowledge is critical in creating an understanding in governments and professionals of our genuine needs. Public education and awareness should draw attention to the fact that we on the spectrum can make outstanding, above average employees,(given a safe environment). So this fact needs to be promoted to employers and their agencys, to highlight our strengths and abilitys in the work force, and the benifet to the wider community as we increase our independence, reducing our need for support in the long term. This has to be a win win for all.

There were a few more contributions to the wish list, as follows

Help with independant living and organisational skills
Social groups/networks
Adult education
Education of professionals
Transitional care

Can you think of any more,

I beleive we need to do all we can as a community to move forwards towards achieving the quality of life we so deserve. I believe we can achieve this if we try.
We can make a difference.

The question is how and where to start lobbying