Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ImaginaryTime
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2010, 5:45 pm

I have worn glasses (for nearsightedness) since kindergarten, and I am sick of looking like a nerd. I have wanted to upgrade to contact lenses for about three years now, but I am hypersensitive to tactile sensations and have a phobia of anything coming into contact with my eyes. I cannot touch them with my finger, let alone shove plastic discs over them. I tried so hard, but my eye doctor was impatient and unfriendly. He upset me greatly and I ran out of the office crying. This was three years ago, and I have not attempted since. I know that I, in my present state, cannot insert contact lenses into my eyes. Does anyone have suggestions?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 6:13 pm

I wish I could suggest something, but when I started wearing contacts, I just had to tough it out. The first time I had to take my contacts out, it took me forever because I was so sensitive to that, but after a while I got used to it.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 9:36 pm

I wear contacts. Its a bit difficult at first, getting used to putting them in and taking them out. Once you get used to it, it gets much easier. I think it is worth it so I wear them.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm

Yes, and this was definitely a challenge at first. I hate my look with glasses (not bad, but still), and glasses are uncomfortable. Like the back-of-shirt-tag, neck-rubbing necklaces, etc... sensory uncomfortability.

I attempted to begin wearing contacts several times... as in, several visits. Pissing my parents off, of course, and probably getting the doctors impatient. The worst part at first was how you couldn't get the contact out! But eventually I just kind of forced myself to get them and deal with it. Putting them in and out takes forever at first, but eventually becomes second nature.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 1:26 am

I do. I have glasses and don't mind wearing them, but it is hard to be active while wearing them. I have extended wear lenses that I leave in unless they are bugging my eyes. I don't notice them, except if I am tired and decide to rub my eyes.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2010, 1:48 am

I have special contact lenses for an eye condition called keratoconus. I used to drop them down the drain alot when I first got them but I am really good now.

Blint
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:54 am

I just wear glasses, i just don't like the feeling of having to poke your eye everyday to the point your eye gets red and sore.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2010, 7:06 am

I've been wearing contacts for about 13 years now and get on with them pretty well. When i first started wearing though I found it really hard, as I was also not at all happy with putting my fingers anywhere near my eyes. The first time I tried to put my contacts in myself it took me about 20-odd times before I managed it and I was dreading taking them out again though. One thing I realised though is that the more I relaxed, the easier it was and now I don't think twice about it. It also helps to look to one side (ie the right) and then put the contact on the left hand side of the eye. That way you don't see this big scary finger bearing down on you!

Sorry your optician wasn't more understanding, that probably really didn't help at all. Maybe see if if you can get a couple of daily disposable test pairs to take home with you, where you can try it again somewhere you feel relaxed and comfortable and where you know there isn't a time limit - I know I hate doing things new/unusual when there's someone else watching.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2010, 9:00 pm

I've just started. I'm not giving up on glasses. I just want them for things like sport.

I found it quite difficult to get them in and out the first few times I tried. I had to visit the optician several times, but I finally made some progress. He gave me a few to try at home and has ordered some more trial one in for me, which I have to collect tomorrow. Fortunately, he was very patient with me.

Now I have had chance to try them at home, I am finding it a lot easier, but I still need practice at getting the lens out of my right eye.

You just have to find the right combination of fingers etc. My optician originally got me to stand up looking at a mirror on the wall, but that hurt my arm and was difficult. It was a lot better when I sit at a desk with a mirror on the desk. I also had to try using several different fingers to get them in.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:32 pm

Just go to another opticians. took me ages to put them in the first time. didnt help that i was sat in the little room with the optician glaring at me. and then she called in a trainee optician to let them observe haha. its their job though so tough cookie to them. the optician I have now is awesome, he just dives in there and takes my contacts out for me when he needs to. bizzare.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:40 pm

I do wear contact lenses but not all the time. I mostly wear my glasses.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2010, 8:05 pm

I wear glasses. I have Ptosis and Strabismus. I can't wear them.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2010, 9:01 pm

I first tried to get them in when I was 12. I quit after 20 minutes. I tried again when was 16. I quit after a half an hour. I have such a strong blink reflex.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:20 pm

I started wearing contacts since I was about 9 years old. They were very uncomfortable at first, and it took me half an hour to get them in and out. I got used to it eventually, but on bad days it can still take me half an hour. I was never sensitive to the soft ones, but the hard ones scare the heck out of me. Fluorescent lights make my eyes way more sore than contact lenses, so I got used to my eyes being sore all the time. Now, sparing some time to put in contacts so that I can wear sunglasses is much more worth it than wearing glasses and suffering through the pain.

I was also being severely bullied due to having glasses, so I really had no other option. My vision has been very bad since I was 4 (due to strabismus and genes).

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.