Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:36 am

From SlashDot:

"Researchers have discovered a biological shocker: female boa constrictors are capable of giving birth asexually. But the surprise doesn't end there. The study in Biology Letters found that boa babies produced through this asexual reproduction—also known as parthenogenesis—sport a chromosomal oddity that researchers thought was impossible in reptiles. While researchers admit that the female in the study may have been a genetic freak, they say the findings should press researchers to re-think reptile reproduction. Virgin birth among reptiles, especially primitive ones like boas, they argue may be far commoner than ever expected."

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Nov 2010, 4:42 am

Sand wrote:
From SlashDot:

"Researchers have discovered a biological shocker: female boa constrictors are capable of giving birth asexually. But the surprise doesn't end there. The study in Biology Letters found that boa babies produced through this asexual reproduction—also known as parthenogenesis—sport a chromosomal oddity that researchers thought was impossible in reptiles. While researchers admit that the female in the study may have been a genetic freak, they say the findings should press researchers to re-think reptile reproduction. Virgin birth among reptiles, especially primitive ones like boas, they argue may be far commoner than ever expected."

I think that's probably it. That's a pretty interesting story tho, I've always been interested in reptiles. Do you have a link to the original article?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:45 am

Jacoby wrote:
Sand wrote:
From SlashDot:

I think that's probably it. That's a pretty interesting story tho, I've always been interested in reptiles. Do you have a link to the original article?

http://news.mongabay.com/2010/1103-hanc ... alboa.html

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:40 am

Why's Satan one up on God? God made snakes after all. :P :P

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 7:13 am

mgran wrote:
Why's Satan one up on God? God made snakes after all. :P :P

And God made Satan.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 7:47 am

So He's still one up. :lol:

I'm not meaning to turn this into a religious thread by the way... just the title made me chuckle.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:29 pm

well...

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

04 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

Um, parthenogenetic reptiles have been known about for a while. Google 'whiptail lizards' - if I recall rightly, it's been found in several species.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Nov 2010, 5:30 pm

Satan has only become a more recent bully in the new testament, In the Old testament he was hardly mentioned and didnt have such a devilish role. i think he freaquently meet with god and the angels to decide the fate of mankind, like what he did to job

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

Well, to be fair, he was a bit of a git to Job. Like the school snitch/bully. "Hey, God... you see that Job? Well, I don't think he's that great... in fact, I think if you stopped treating him like the teacher's pet he'd be just as rotten as anyone else. Go on God, give him a good kicking..."

Got to say, he doesn't seem like your traditional good guy, does he?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Nov 2010, 7:36 pm

well, I've never met the devil or jesus so i cant say what thier personalities are like.

taking someone else word for it can be very deadly

Good and evil obviously exist, because i've seen it but you cant with 100% accuracy be right.
thats why they call it "faith"

we walk by faith and not by sight?! personally i'd be bumping into all kinds of sh-t in that relationship.

I need to know my god, and leave the guess work at home :pig:

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 10:23 pm

BTW, the news is not the virgin pregnancy per se. It was already known of in alligators. The news is that Boas can do it. Which is telling as it seems that it may be a trait shared by all reptiles specially because boas are a more specialized branch of reptiles.

Now, if it was found to happen in birds, that would be awesome...

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Now, if it was found to happen in birds, that would be awesome...

http://cees.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/FILES/root/ ... chut08.pdf
http://www.slate.com/id/2168092/

Its everywhere! Its everywhere!

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:53 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Satan has only become a more recent bully in the new testament, In the Old testament he was hardly mentioned and didnt have such a devilish role. i think he freaquently meet with god and the angels to decide the fate of mankind, like what he did to job

you mean that story where satan tricks god into doing all kinds of d**kmagic to job?

if your god is that easily manipulated to torture one of his own faithful, i think it's safer to not count myself among that flock.

also: seriously, where in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

Sand wrote:
From SlashDot:

Virgin birth among certain desert lizards has been old scientific news for some time.

Anyway- what does this have to do with satan vs god?
Not that Im offended - it just that im lost here.

( Maybe you're implying that the serpent in the garden of eden had the same kind of virgin birth as Jesus- which would be rather interesting- but its not obvious what that would mean)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sand wrote:
From SlashDot:

Virgin birth among certain desert lizards has been old scientific news for some time.

Anyway- what does this have to do with satan vs god?
Not that Im offended - it just that im lost here.

( Maybe you're implying that the serpent in the garden of eden had the same kind of virgin birth as Jesus- which would be rather interesting- but its not obvious what that would mean)

The whole virgin birth thing is really something rather common in ancient religions and like many of it's other fables Christianity swiped it from these old traditions. Primates in general including humans seem to have a genetic fear of snakes and Christianity has long incorporated that in its dogmatic hatreds out of the snake in the Garden Of Eden fable. So Satan is very much identified with snakes and the horrid treatment of these rather innocent reptiles by several Christian denominations is well known. Now that they have been established as possibly parthenogenetic the old dogmas somehow connect them with the Jesus legend. I do not, of course, take any of this very seriously. Water fleas also are parthenogenetic but I have yet to hear any Christian legends about them.