Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 4:53 pm

Healthy foods are more expensive in part due to the aforementioned farm subsidies that make things like high fructose corn syrup practically free, and partly due to shipping and storage costs (fresh stuff can spoil). I wouldn't mind adding in canned soups and dried fruits, vegetables, and meats to the line up.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2010, 7:30 pm

Our health care system is rather flawed and is the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. I don't think buying food is. Plus as pointed out, government already does have quite a hand in feeding people really.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:20 pm

Karl Marx correctly observed that freedom begins after the necessities of life are assured. That is, a person who spends all hours working for bare subsistence has no freedom whatsoever. So you believers in Freedom, clearly the benefits of machines, computers, technology, robots and other labour-saving methods should be used to guarantee that people can be truly free and not worry about the essentials of life.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:24 pm

LKL wrote:
parrow wrote:
We already do.

I'm actually proud to live in a country where we are wealthy enough to provide a basic safety net (food stamps in whatever form) such that we don't just let people starve on the streets. I think the safety net should be a little lower than it is though and only provide basic cheap essential foods to those that can't afford it. And the food should be the cheapest, blandest crap as a motivator for those to do whatever they can to get out of the safety net, yet nutritious enough for a health diet. We want to prevent people from starving, but instead we have an obesity problem.

QFT
I was going to say something along these lines, but you beat me to it: food stamps should go for whole wheat bread, fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, and unprocessed dairy - and not much else. I'm fully in support of NY's proposal to take away the ability to buy sugary drinks with food stamps.

I agree that people should be encouraged to eat better and it really is better - and at least getting the sugar-loaded drinks off might be a good start - but there is a small problem here. The working poor, of which there are millions in the US, have a real time deficit and they end up eating too many processed foods. It would be far better if people had more time... there has been discouragement over the years of having people work near home especially as people are driven out of town and public transit is getting worse all the time. There's also a lack of good food stores in poor areas in the US.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:48 pm

LKL wrote:
Healthy foods are more expensive in part due to the aforementioned farm subsidies that make things like high fructose corn syrup practically free

That's just ineffective use of subsidies and defining parameters.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:28 am

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The government already controls the production and distribution of food.

But apparently not well enough to prevent regular outbreaks of salmonella.and massive recalls of dangerous food.

You can't expect anything done by the government to be done well, after all.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:33 am

psychohist wrote:
Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

But apparently not well enough to prevent regular outbreaks of salmonella.and massive recalls of dangerous food.

Expect failure from your employees and that's what you'll get.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:38 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Slippery slope eh.

Not really, since the same "logic" and excuses for one action ought to apply equally to other actions if valid.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

psychohist wrote:
Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Yeah, really, what incentive does any politician have to do well at anything other than campaigning? What incentive do bureaucrats have to do anything other than blindly follow rules invented by fools?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 4:17 am

xenon13 wrote:

I agree that people should be encouraged to eat better and it really is better - and at least getting the sugar-loaded drinks off might be a good start - but there is a small problem here. The working poor, of which there are millions in the US, have a real time deficit and they end up eating too many processed foods. It would be far better if people had more time... there has been discouragement over the years of having people work near home especially as people are driven out of town and public transit is getting worse all the time. There's also a lack of good food stores in poor areas in the US.

We are speaking of liberty and you want to be a "food nazi"?

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

We are speaking of liberty and you want to be a "food nazi"?

ruveyn

Liberty is never absolute. Living in a sane society always places limitations on liberty to prevent disaster.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:39 am

So, you're saying that McDonald's and Kellogg's are run by the government? Maybe so.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 12:53 pm

A food Nazi? I hardly think so. It's my opinion as I said that people in many areas have no access to the better types of food at all and often they don't have the time to prepare it - that's Capitalism for you. Why, I read about a temporary farmers' market set up in the Bronx and they were out in droves there because they can normally get nothing like what they were selling there.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 12:55 pm

xenon13 wrote:
A food Nazi? I hardly think so. It's my opinion as I said that people in many areas have no access to the better types of food at all and often they don't have the time to prepare it - that's Capitalism for you. Why, I read about a temporary farmers' market set up in the Bronx and they were out in droves there because they can normally get nothing like what they were selling there.

The temporary farmer's market is also Capitalism for you.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:13 pm

psychohist wrote:
Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Especially when the current head of the FDA is a former top exec., lawyer, and lobbyist for Monsanto. I'm surprised it's still legal to sell milk without rBGH. :roll:

number5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:14 pm

pandabear wrote:
So, you're saying that McDonald's and Kellogg's are run by the government? Maybe so.

It's the other way around.