Why aren't there more aspies that commit crimes..

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2010, 3:47 am

DeadpanDan wrote:
Depends on the crimes.

Arson, computer (hacking, malware and stuff), abused into committing crimes (not the individual's fault), and sexual crimes are documented, as are high profile cases like Martin Bryant and other spree killers (albeit, nowhere near as notorious, but a previous member of this forum killed a couple of people in addition to himself).

These seem to be solitary crimes, i.e., the lone individual. So, if someone with an ASD is predisposed to committing crimes, you'd expect to see it as a solitary individual rather than in an organization or gang.

(I'll add, many "crimes" are but social constructs, rather than morally right.)

I agree with the above posts... Aspies may be more likely to commit some crimes then other kinds... the law too many work against Aspies cause the NTs dont understand us or how our minds work.

I stole on a couple of occassions due to my special interest (erasor colllection) when i was a child. Ive always had an extreme thing about right and wrong, but the drive to add to my collection.. drove me on a couple of occassions to steal. (and then i would of felt intense guilt over it cause i knew it was wrong).

When a teen I then got placed in a situation where my boyfriend robbed a shop (key had been left in a door) and cause im quite compliant.. even thou i didnt agree to what was being done.. i followed him into the shop (I dont think i was even aware at the time what he was about to do!! !!).. only to find him then loading into my arms stolen goods while i was standing there shocked. (so ended up leaving the store with these things). (I often found myself in situations I didnt know how to get out of).

For the below thing (attempted arson/suicide), I've been in jail...and then as i refused to accept bail as I wondered what jail was like....my curiousity was intense, so wanted to go there and see.
My motivation to be jailed was also due to not being able to care for myself well at home and having no one else to look after me (so figured jail would be a better place to be!!). How wrong i was, I spent a month in jail and it made things worst for me (adds to my trauma). (my innocent child like thinking... just couldnt comprehend jail without being there first and as people kept on threatening with it if i couldnt control my moodswings.. i just then had to see what it was like).

Im right now going throu court due to my health issues... I went to commit suicide after my partner had sex with my doctor... and emotionly couldnt cope with this betayal (when i have such a strong sense of right and wrong and would NEVER betay someone i loved so I dont understand how NTs do that). So i went to burn myself up in the place the event happened (but didnt end up doing it and left the place), but this innocent act now has me on attempted arson charges. So im facing a serious crime.

All these things Ive done in my life... are related to my Aspergers (and other health issues).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 4:02 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Murder is easy, making sure you don't get caught afterwards is the tricky bit...

Murder is not easy. That is why we have to jump through hoops to justify the killings we do. We have to convince ourselves that the killings we do are necessary or right. Self-defense is the usual justification. And by definition self-defense is not murder. Murder means the wrongful killing of someone. We train our brains to find perfectly good and just reasons to kill.

ruveyn

Igor
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2010, 6:43 am

I reckon a lot of Aspies would be really good at crime, because we'd be much better at the detail (though maybe we'd be crap actually carrying it out). When you see what complete and utter morons a lot of criminals are, it always amazes me that they aren't all behind bars forever.

Trouble is though, prison would be hell for an Aspie, so it ain't worth the risk for anything. Besides, I've developed this annoying moral compass thing, which keeps getting in the way :wink:

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 7:40 am

Pathological honesty?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 10:39 am

ruveyn wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Murder is easy, making sure you don't get caught afterwards is the tricky bit...

Murder is not easy. That is why we have to jump through hoops to justify the killings we do. We have to convince ourselves that the killings we do are necessary or right. Self-defense is the usual justification. And by definition self-defense is not murder. Murder means the wrongful killing of someone. We train our brains to find perfectly good and just reasons to kill.

ruveyn

Yeah but once you kill one person, you'd have broken the taboo and you'd find it easy to keep doing it. Plus, humans can pretty much justify anything in their own minds anyway.

TiaMaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2010, 10:55 am

I've committed PLENTY of crimes.

When I was a teenager, it was about shoplifting, vandalism, underage drinking, underage smoking, truancy from school.

As an adult, it was illegal substances, public nudity & trespassing (I've done a lot of art modeling in urban areas, public streets, abandoned buildings, national parks and monuments).

I was very rarely caught doing anything, and when I was caught I wasn't punished, because I came off as a quiet, intelligent, attractive female who just made a bad decision. And I was let go.

The thing about "crime" is that laws don't always match up with my own personal moral code. Would I kill anybody? No. But that doesn't mean I feel bad for posing naked to make cool pictures somewhere, or doing shrooms. I don't agree with every law made. I don't know why people are thrown in jail for selling weed just as they are thrown in jail for child abuse or rape. I don't see those things as being on the same level.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:30 pm

TiaMaria wrote:

When I was a teenager, it was about shoplifting, vandalism, underage drinking, underage smoking, truancy from school.

As an adult, it was illegal substances, public nudity & trespassing (I've done a lot of art modeling in urban areas, public streets, abandoned buildings, national parks and monuments).

I was very rarely caught doing anything, and when I was caught I wasn't punished, because I came off as a quiet, intelligent, attractive female who just made a bad decision. And I was let go.

The thing about "crime" is that laws don't always match up with my own personal moral code. Would I kill anybody? No. But that doesn't mean I feel bad for posing naked to make cool pictures somewhere, or doing shrooms. I don't agree with every law made. I don't know why people are thrown in jail for selling weed just as they are thrown in jail for child abuse or rape. I don't see those things as being on the same level.

Shame on you.

ruveyn

TiaMaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2010, 12:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Shame on you.

ruveyn

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

ruveyn

Uh how hard is it to pick up a gun and start shooting at people? How hard is it to take your child and drown him in a bath tub or pick up your baby and shake it or grab a knife and stabbing your spouse?

Only thing that stops us is our feelings and not wanting to hurt people and cause pain or even go to jail.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

If humans were so nice, we wouldn't need a legal system. But we do. That alone proves something about us as a species IMO.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:52 pm

TiaMaria wrote:

I say power to the people. I think we need a little more of the sixties ethos here in the twentieth century.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:59 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
If humans were so nice, we wouldn't need a legal system. But we do. That alone proves something about us as a species IMO.

Alexander Hamilton and James Madison wrote in 1788, "If men [people] were angels, no government would be necessary."