Why aren't there more aspies that commit crimes..

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:19 am

I am surpised there aren't more people with autism/aspergers turning to crime. Yes, there is that risk of going to jail/prison. However, if your working a dead end job anyway. I think that risk is worth it.

I guess it would depend on one's age.

If I was that one dude in the homeless thread, I would so be commiting a variety of crimes right now. At least if I go to prison, I have a roof over my head and enough to eat....and im 50 so what chance do I have of obtaining a professional job anyway?

Also, prisoners probably have i better than the poor(free healthcare,food).

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:46 am

Most crimes require thing like physical coordination, knowing how to find accomplices, etc.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:48 am

Maybe there is a few Aspie criminals out there they are just too smart to be caught. :lol:

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:54 am

TPE2 wrote:
Most crimes require thing like physical coordination, knowing how to find accomplices, etc.

-Physical coordination....check

-Knowing how to find accomplices.... :cry:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:58 am

Well, maybe Aspies are more likely to have their own set of values rather than just buying into the social norm, so if that's the case then that would possibly make them more likely to commit a crime. I myself don't (for example) hold with the common idea that stealing as such is simply wrong. Add to that the resentment against "society" that many Aspies are encouraged to feel (because of all the bullying and discrimination), and you'd think we'd quite readily turn to crime.

On the other hand, our liking for order and for clear-cut rules may push us the other way. Also, in as far as crime involves deception, we may get tripped up by pathological honesty and poor social imagination. Also we're often the kind of people the police might be suspicious of, if our body language or way of communicationg doesn't look quite right.

Personally I've not indulged in a lot of crime. A bit of shoplifting when I was a young teenager....I wasn't very good at it, and kept getting caught. :( I also possessed a flick knife for a while, though I never used it. Somebody gave it to me and I didn't like to throw it away. There's nothing else of any importance.

My attitude to lawbreaking is probably unusual. I don't really recognise the law as a moral code, and I don't feel any animosity towards law-breakers as such - I don't much care whether the law is broken or not, though there's some correlation between what is illegal and what I consider to be bad behaviour. Just that the correlation isn't particularly strong.

But I do get steamed up about petty rule-breaking sometimes. Motorists parking on pavements, breaking the finer points of the Highway Code, chavs breaking the peace, queue-jumping, etc. I've often wondered if I could egg a few cars and graffiti a few doors to show them they can't get away with what they've done, but se far I've help myself back......the logical risks seem too great.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:08 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
I am surpised there aren't more people with autism/aspergers turning to crime.

How do you know there aren't?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm

I'm sure there are Aspie criminals, they just aren't stupid enough to post about their crimes on a public forum.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

Because aspie's have to work out everything to the utmost detail and by the time they're done with that someone else has committed the crime.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:31 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Because aspie's have to work out everything to the utmost detail and by the time they're done with that someone else has committed the crime.

Lol, I'd be such a s**t criminal.

Let's face it, crime is actually quite hard work.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:33 pm

Oh there are many, many people I would love to kill, and I have absolutely no life or any purpose, but I'm too afraid to do anything.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm

Uh there aren't as many criminals you think there are. They just seem more common because of the media and books. Also the fact we have over two million people in prison here in our country but that is actually the minority. Very few are actually women.

And also because aspies are such follow the rule freaks, they are less likely to commit a crime and because we are anti social, there is no one around to take advantage of us and to trick us into doing something illegal because we were ignorant. Someone tried to sell me a food stamp card and I said forget it because she wanted forty bucks and I didn't even know it was illegal until my husband told me afterwards. Good thing I don't give out big loads of money and I am just too selfish to give away forty bucks and you don't need forty bucks for a bus ticket. But she might have meant the Greyhound, not our public transportation. But who would give away forty dollars to a stranger? :roll: I wonder if I was random she picked to ask or if she saw something about me that spelled out "different." And hey, what if she was a decoy and was out to bust people for doing illegal activity and good thing I said no. Good thing I didn't have to learn the hard way.

I have also read in books aspies are more likely to get involved in a crime because of our naivety and innocence and because we don't know how to handle things in situations so we can be easily forced. Well I sure won't ever let that happen to me. Just know the laws and don't ever break them no matter what, even if another person tries and eggs you to do it or tries and talk you into it. And just don't trust strangers nor help them. Who knows, maybe those books were full of it. Not everything you read about AS is true because sometimes the author is full of it. Now after being online and reading things by other aspies, I don't think we be that stupid to fall for a crime. I mean how can someone convince us that it's okay to kill a person if we know killing is illegal and you go to jail for it? I doubt we would give in and do it just because the person said it's okay to do and it's legal in that situation. We know right from wrong. We have to be ignorant about a law to do it such as the food stamp thing I just told about. But anyone could fall for it if they weren't aware it's illegal and they were willing to give away forty bucks to a stranger and then find out the food stamp card has no money on it. That be better than getting caught.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm

I could never be a stick-up man because I would give out a list of rules for the victim to follow if he failed to follow the rules I would shoot him. I probably also shoot for improper grammer use or for making too much eye contact or asking too many questions. Or by the time I finished my list of rules and demands the police would have shown up. :wink:

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 1:49 pm

<--- knife nut, and has been pretty successful when it comes to shoplifting so yeah. Whatever. I am just more or less the survivalist type though.

You don't need accomplices, they can help, but oftentimes they can just get in the way I think. You are basically relying on people other than yourself after all.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:13 pm

Todesking wrote:
I could never be a stick-up man because I would give out a list of rules for the victim to follow if he failed to follow the rules I would shoot him. I probably also shoot for improper grammer use or for making too much eye contact or asking too many questions. Or by the time I finished my list of rules and demands the police would have shown up. :wink:

Your post reminds me of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0l_vPyUmg[/youtube]

:P

oddgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2010, 2:13 pm

maybe because they are rule followers (in general), most of them are smart and hard-working enough to get a great job (ex. Bill gates might have AS), not all aspies have resentment against society and I find it insulting that you think aspies should be more likely to become criminals. If your life is a mess, it's probably mostly (if not completely) your fault and saying aspies are more likely to become criminals than NTs is only going to find you three things : 1. Hate 2. Psychos and 3. Suspicion :thumbdown:

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

you could have 9 NTs as accomplices - then have them shoot each other in turn after they've completed their task then you shoot the last one - basically just copying what the joker did.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml