Why aren't there more aspies that commit crimes..

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

you could have 9 NTs as accomplices - then have them shoot each other in turn after they've completed their task then you shoot the last one - basically just copying what the joker did.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:43 pm

I don't think Aspies are devious enough to lead a life of crime. A criminal has to be an expert liar.

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:56 pm

Most people with AS don't commit crimes because crimes are a social thing, a criminal lifestyle is stimulating and we tend to be easily overstimulated, and we might be able to analyze things but we're not as good when it comes to thinking on our feet. But for the most part it's because crime is a social thing.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 3:02 pm

Sometimes I feel compelled to commit a crime out of utter frustration with society. Once, though, I was obsessed with killing my father - and in that instance law was the greatest traitor. Because killing my father would have saved me from going insane - law never acted against his abuse, so why should he actually succeed in killing me before I can save myself? (Of course, what really screwed me over majorly was the fact that law prevented me from leaving my home to escape from the abuse, because I was underage.)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:41 pm

I suspect crime actually requires better than average social judgement and social intelligence. I.e. it wouldn't immediately occur to me (at least when I was younger) to target "easy prey." I.e. the eldery, ret*d, gay, "crazy," socially isolated, etc. And, being a good liar also seems very important. And there's that "killer instinct" (to take from or hurt someone weaker w/o mercy or guilt) that I don't seem to have. (Maybe I've never been hungry enough -- I dunno.)

And, the really successful criminals seem to basically be managers. IOW, they're people who are good at understanding and predicting what other people will do. And, they know how to influence people such that they do what they want (buy drugs, not snitch to the police, have trust, trick others into doing the dirty work, etc.)

I keep thinking of the character "Alonzo" in Training Day: it's hard to imagine that guy being on the spectrum. 8O

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:01 pm

TBH I am obsessed with crime and I often try to figure out what would be the perfect crime to commit. Like one in which you could never get caught,

I would never do such a thing though cuz I couldn't bear to keep the secret.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:03 pm

Kiseki wrote:
TBH I am obsessed with crime and I often try to figure out what would be the perfect crime to commit. Like one in which you could never get caught,

I would never do such a thing though cuz I couldn't bear to keep the secret.

The answer is suicide. If you succeed, you cannot be punished, therefore making it the perfect crime.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:11 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of criminal aspies. I'm not complete innocent of wrongdoing, I have never shoplifted, robbed anyone, sold drugs or threatened anyone with a weapon but beyond that I can think of some things I have done.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:17 pm

I think Aspies are far less likely to cause malicious/violent crimes towards other people because they have a greater innate sense of integrity and morals. They're far less likely to think about harming people when those people haven't done anything harmful to them. I can understand being violent when provoked and attacked though.

For victimless crimes on the otherhand like "illegal" drug use/possession, I'm not so sure, as many Aspies will have figured out that the reasons why drugs are illegal are often unfair and illogical, especially when alcohol and other prescription drugs can also be addictive and even more dangerous yet they're legal.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:40 pm

While I am fascinated by prison and often wonder what it would be like to live in one, I don't have the heart to commit a crime. Crimes hurt people (whether emotionally, mentally and/or physically), and I don't want to hurt anyone.

A few nights ago I had a dream in which I was given the option to murder someone. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm one of those people who believes that dreams are a reflection of our deeper psyches, so now I know for sure I would never be able to commit a crime that involved killing someone.

Besides, I am a stickler for rules and I hate it when the law gets broken. :P

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

I like this autobiography of this criminal~

You Can't Win
By Jack Black(not the actor)

I don't condone being a criminal and hurting people though.
(It's not an asperger's book.)

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:45 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
I am surpised there aren't more people with autism/aspergers turning to crime. Yes, there is that risk of going to jail/prison. However, if your working a dead end job anyway. I think that risk is worth it.

I guess it would depend on one's age.

If I was that one dude in the homeless thread, I would so be commiting a variety of crimes right now. At least if I go to prison, I have a roof over my head and enough to eat....and im 50 so what chance do I have of obtaining a professional job anyway?

Also, prisoners probably have i better than the poor(free healthcare,food).

Aspies tend to be rules orientated, so that would pretty much preclude crime.

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2010, 2:59 am

Depends on the crimes.

Arson, computer (hacking, malware and stuff), abused into committing crimes (not the individual's fault), and sexual crimes are documented, as are high profile cases like Martin Bryant and other spree killers (albeit, nowhere near as notorious, but a previous member of this forum killed a couple of people in addition to himself).

These seem to be solitary crimes, i.e., the lone individual. So, if someone with an ASD is predisposed to committing crimes, you'd expect to see it as a solitary individual rather than in an organization or gang.

(I'll add, many "crimes" are but social constructs, rather than morally right.)

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

Quote:
ToughDIamond wrote~
My attitude to lawbreaking is probably unusual. I don't really recognise the law as a moral code, and I don't feel any animosity towards law-breakers as such - I don't much care whether the law is broken or not, though there's some correlation between what is illegal and what I consider to be bad behaviour. Just that the correlation isn't particularly strong.

I think I may agree with this. I'm against behavior which hurts others. I also believe some of the things which are legal I consider to be wrong.

Also, I've read a few books from the point of view of criminals/ex-cons and they say they do have a code. They do have rules, in a sense, but not the type of rules I'd want to live under. I thought that was interesting.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Nov 2010, 4:54 pm

I know from my vantage point its because i love living by rules. chaos isnt really my thing and it puts me in such bad shape

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

i commit crimes.