Why aren't there more aspies that commit crimes..

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

i commit crimes.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 9:43 pm

Because they don't want to end up on an episode of COPS?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm

Aspies aspies, whatchu gonna do whatchu gonna do when they come for you?

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 12:37 am

thedaywalker wrote:
i commit crimes.

No incrimination, but what did you do?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:53 am

Jediscraps wrote:
Quote:
ToughDIamond wrote~
My attitude to lawbreaking is probably unusual. I don't really recognise the law as a moral code, and I don't feel any animosity towards law-breakers as such - I don't much care whether the law is broken or not, though there's some correlation between what is illegal and what I consider to be bad behaviour. Just that the correlation isn't particularly strong.

I think I may agree with this. I'm against behavior which hurts others. I also believe some of the things which are legal I consider to be wrong.

Also, I've read a few books from the point of view of criminals/ex-cons and they say they do have a code. They do have rules, in a sense, but not the type of rules I'd want to live under. I thought that was interesting.

Honour among thieves is well known. I think the mistake a lot of people make is to think that the law is the same thing as honour or morality. I think the law is a mixture of things, with honourable and dishonourable intentions and effects.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 9:00 am

The other day, I crossed the street within fifty feet of a crosswalk. 8O I'm such a criminal!

Seriously, though, why would Aspies commit crimes any more than NTs do? I mean, we do commit crimes; and I have done so myself (the worst has probably been speeding by 15 mph over the limit, which is worse than you think because it's unsafe), but in general, why would we? We have the same conscience that anyone else does; we're actively antisocial only about as often as NTs are; and we tend to prefer private activities, while crime is often a social activity.

I don't know where I've read it, but people with AS are actually significantly less likely than NTs to commit crimes, and classic auties even less so. A combination of being natural rule-followers and crime being by its nature often a social activity probably accounts for this--there doesn't seem to be any detectable difference between our sense of morality compared to NTs'.

Quote:
Honour among thieves is well known. I think the mistake a lot of people make is to think that the law is the same thing as honour or morality. I think the law is a mixture of things, with honourable and dishonourable intentions and effects.
Certainly. The law and morality are different things; anyone who's studied ethics, even casually, knows that. Think back a couple hundred years when we still had slaves in America--who were the moral people then, the people who were keeping slaves, or the people who broke the law to help them escape? Even back then, people knew it wasn't right to own another human being, and they spent so much time justifying it that the sermons from back then were often torturous twisting of Scripture (seriously, read some of them sometime; it's guaranteed to make any Bible scholar shudder). Today, some laws have no moral implications; for example, there's a local law that it's illegal to ride my bicycle on the sidewalk, even though this is quite safe to do. (It's designed to stop kids from clogging the sidewalks with bicycles, roller skates, and skateboards, and has the effect of also blocking bike commuters from busy streets where it's unsafe to share the road with cars going 50 mph.) Other laws have very obvious moral implications--the laws against murder are an obvious example. The law can't enforce morality; it can only enforce social order. It can be a great tool to make it easier to be a moral person and to bring justice when people are not moral; but it can be misused, as well, and horribly so.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 10:37 am

Callista wrote:
-there doesn't seem to be any detectable difference between our sense of morality compared to NTs'.

Interesting.....in "Loving Mr. Spock" the author remarks that the apparently strong sense of honour in Aspies is something of a paradox (morality being such an emotional thing)....she explains this by postulating that Aspie morality is more based on simple black-and-white logical concepts such as parity.

In a way your example about cycling on the footpath could be an example of this - you're doing no harm, therefore you should not be punished for it. I suppose a neurotypical would be more likely to see the "bigger picture" which takes into account the effect of legalising footpath cycling. But I'm not sure that the NT has any moral high ground there......I reckon that the law moves away from morality the moment it compromises with economics - by creating a blanket "no cycling" law which is cheaper for them to uphold than a specific "no dangerous cycling" law......but it's only cheaper because the cost is passed onto the safe footpath cyclists...this in itself is surely unjust, even if from their viewpoint it's the only way they can control the danger at all.

parrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 11:20 am

In theory, they say most aspies have above average IQ. I'd say that we are either smart enough to understand the consequences and don't do it, or we smart enough to not get caught.

I break the law every day. Where I live 10mph over the limit is where the police will start to pull you over, under 10 they don't bother. So I drive 8 over the limit.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:31 pm

parrow wrote:
I break the law every day. Where I live 10mph over the limit is where the police will start to pull you over, under 10 they don't bother. So I drive 8 over the limit.

You've got it rough....here you get passed by soccer moms if you're doing less than 15 over and the police really seem like they could care less.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:11 pm

Only things I break are running across the street and not using a crosswalk without stopping traffic, running across the crosswalk during a red light when there are no cars, throwing away pop cans or water bottles in the trash because I don't want to carry it around with me.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:38 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
i commit crimes.

daywalker do tell. none of are narks... I had to learn that word on a documentary about prison.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:26 pm

Moog wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Because aspie's have to work out everything to the utmost detail and by the time they're done with that someone else has committed the crime.

Lol, I'd be such a sh** criminal.

Let's face it, crime is actually quite hard work.

Actually murder isn't hard to accomplish at all in my opinion. You don't even really require an accomplice unless you're scared and need support.

Igor
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2010, 4:27 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
At least if I go to prison, I have a roof over my head and enough to eat....and im 50 so what chance do I have of obtaining a professional job anyway?

Also, prisoners probably have i better than the poor(free healthcare,food).

Unfortunately, with our complete lack of social skills, we'd probably be beaten, treated badly by the guards, robbed, intimidated and worse.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:41 pm

Yes, prison is not a very good place to be. Bullying is a lot worse, more than ten times worse I would say. These are criminals you are dealing with so they do beatings and are more brutal with their bullying. But I heard prisons keep inmates separated, they have the mentally ill ward for inmates who have mental illnesses. I wonder if they also separate autistic inmates. I am sure they separate pedophiles from inmates because they do get beaten there also and raped, even kill them. Even they hate them. My ex thinks that is what they might have done with Westley Allen Dodd, keeping him separated from the other inmates while he was on death row because he was a pedophile and killed three boys. My ex was just surprised he never got killed in prison by other inmates.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:57 pm

Even the thought of prison scares the s**t out of me. Locked in a small cell, with another person for up to 23 hours a day (depending on the facility), prison rape, prison gangs, prison beat downs. Some how I doubt that there is a branch of MS 13, The Aryan Brother Hood and Aspies United in any prison in the US. What an aspie gang going to do in prison, scare everybody with stims? You come any closer with that shank and I will clasp my hands repeatedly and make funny noises! If you try and rape me I won't keep eye contact with you!

I think an aspie would be absolutely f****d in prison. Enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 5:08 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
Moog wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Because aspie's have to work out everything to the utmost detail and by the time they're done with that someone else has committed the crime.

Lol, I'd be such a sh** criminal.

Let's face it, crime is actually quite hard work.

Actually murder isn't hard to accomplish at all in my opinion. You don't even really require an accomplice unless you're scared and need support.

"Mummy, please hold my hand while I stab this chap, thnx!"