Did Merlin Have Aspergers?
Yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 11

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

I have recently come to realize the fact that I have Aspergers through research set off by years of little clues.
Wrong Planet helped me alot in reaching this conclusion
I am scheduled to be screened for diagnosis in 2 weeks
In my looking I searched for famous Aspies and it seems to be a popular activity to play spot the Aspie
I thought about it a while and I believe that Merlin was an aspie as are most shaman/wizard/advisor types
(I have always felt as if I were half of a whole person and that with a capaple person who I could advise would do the work
Its like Master Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome)
Straying
I think that he was a scientist(magician) very ridgid, precise, had a temper, was quiet, etc.
Anybody agree

Also when I searched "Merlin Had Aspergers" I found this archiveofourown . org / works / 58183 (no spaces im a new member and cant post urls yet)
I thought it to be funny
Its also why I am posting in the Art, Writing, and Music Forum

I am still new to this and just accepted my Aspie status and it feels good to finally Identify with something
Thanks for being here WrongPlanet

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 3:14 pm

:D First off, Welcome to WrongPlanet! :D

Of course we don't really know for sure, but offhand, I'd say, yeah, Merlin was probably aspie. Real intense about his special interest and real insistent that people act a certain way.

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2010, 3:21 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
:D First off, Welcome to WrongPlanet! :D

Of course we don't really know for sure, but offhand, I'd say, yeah, Merlin was probably aspie. Real intense about his special interest and real insistent that people act a certain way.

Thank you

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 4:05 pm

There are a thousand different Merlins; possibly many more (what with him being a very popular figure for storytellers over the last millenium and all.) Whoever the original Merlin was, it's pretty safe to say he wasn't the magician advisor to a king, just some weird guy who thought living by hisself was a good idea. Which is a pretty aspie thing to do, but you have to ditch the Arthurian aggregations if you want to answer the question specifically for the man, and there's no one answer will fit the legion of legendary Merlins.

*fights urge to recite the Charm of Making*

The year is still young.

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2010, 9:21 am

Ambivalence wrote:
There are a thousand different Merlins; possibly many more (what with him being a very popular figure for storytellers over the last millenium and all.) Whoever the original Merlin was, it's pretty safe to say he wasn't the magician advisor to a king, just some weird guy who thought living by hisself was a good idea. Which is a pretty aspie thing to do, but you have to ditch the Arthurian aggregations if you want to answer the question specifically for the man, and there's no one answer will fit the legion of legendary Merlins.

*fights urge to recite the Charm of Making*

I was just being general
The average traits of all the Merlins made into one stereotypical Merlin for the masses
But I did enjoy reading the answer
You make a good point
But yes I mean generally if that helps any future readers

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 10:01 am

I wonder what attributes are held by the average Merlin of modern times?

There's the association with Arthur as mentor and advisor.

That he's a magician with, among other things, the gift of prophecy.

There's the association with Nimue and/or Morgana.

The sword in the stone thing, usually conflating the sword in the stone with Excalibur.

Which are about the only core ones, plus:

The living backwards thing.

The charming help-Uther-go-a-rapin' thing and a general sociopathic outlook.

Various accounts of unnatural parentage to explain the magic.

Any more? I wouldn't say that any of these, even in combination, were especially spectrum stuff - the hermit's probably a better bet.

The year is still young.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 3:19 am

Merlin fought with pigs for the acorns under the oak tree where he lived. He was more a madman than anything.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 6:23 am

countfred wrote:
I thought about it a while and I believe that Merlin was an aspie as are most shaman/wizard/advisor types

I think that shaman/wizard are more probably suffering from toxicomany and/or schizophrenia than from ASD.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

insuficient data