Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2010, 8:22 pm

I just spent an hour surfing the net, looking for two things:

Sweat suits, or what was once known as warm up suits. Preferably of a cotton and polyester blend, with the gathered legs on the pants, and drop shoulders on the sweat shirt. I found the sweat shirts on the UK Amazon site, but the pants were harder to find. The popular varieties available nowadays, are being made of inferior fabric, and most are tight fitting, which defeats the whole purpose, it seems. Or else they have this hideous low riding hip length, and the pant legs are loose. The Army Navy Surplus shop has some decent varieties, but they have printing on them, and seem only to come in super large sizes.

The other item was sheer nylon curtain panels, in simple colors. It seems that there is no longer any such things. Things like this, make me feel quite old. :?

Does anyone else realize that they can no longer find clothing or household items that they used to love? I'd like to hear about it.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:44 pm

I remember living in San Francisco in the mid 1990s and making macaroni and cheese, and having my plastic strainer leach bits of plastic into the food. I had to go to Daly City to find a metal strainer, which was difficult since I didn't have a car and the shopping centers weren't on the bus line for some reason. Also, various food items that I loved over the years have fallen out of fashion, from "food sticks" (a chocolate soft food item) in the 1970s to a chocolate bar with tiny M&M's in it in the mid 2000s (the name of which escapes me right now). Candy manufacturers are always trying new formulas, but the really good stuff they come up with never seems to take off, or proves too expensive to make. I mean, there's only so many chocolate bars with almonds one can eat. :? I remember wishing that somebody would sell roasted cacao beans (the main ingredient in chocolate) so when a local candy maker here sold Cacao Nibs I enthusiastically bought a package. They were terrible, and spilled everywhere. And they were nearly $10 a bag!

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 9:32 pm

A few years ago, I wanted to decorate my apartment retro-style and was looking for an oversized bean bag and a throwback entertainment center with wooden doors and print panels that I saw in an old movie. I went all over the city looking for them and couldn't find anything remotely close. They only had bean bag chairs that were sew into the shape of a chair. What is the fun in that? Now, I google bean bag and see all sorts of places carrying them. I ended up making the entertainment center for myself and refurbing some classic bar stools instead. Now, I've moved to a different town and got a boring living environment. Thinking of doing something beatnik-style if I can gather the time and money.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 12:44 am

Fashions change. I always buy used clothes and don't worry about it. When I find cheap shoes that fit, I stock up. I've noticed that liquorice allsorts are now made of something more like edible plastic than candy, but that also helps with my altered waistline. ;-)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2010, 10:47 am

Dear_one wrote:
Fashions change. I always buy used clothes and don't worry about it. When I find cheap shoes that fit, I stock up. I've noticed that liquorice allsorts are now made of something more like edible plastic than candy, but that also helps with my altered waistline. ;-)

Yes, I've noticed that too with the licorice allsorts. Bummer.