Difficulty following verbal instructions

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

Yeah very true for me. I started making it clear to my authority figures that if they say something and don't write it down, don't count on me to remember it. As in I have to make sure it is written down. I just got the smart pen device which is helping a lot for class. I wish I had gotten that device when it first came out or else I would have spared myself a lot of poor grades. Its taken a while to work my way up to understanding my learning disability and taking steps to request accommodations.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 6:01 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have AS. I find that when people give me verbal instructions, I forget them very quickly and hence find them hard to follow. However if I'm given clear written instructions, I'm usually fine

Does anyone else have this problem?

I most certainly do have this problem and I'm fine when someone gives me a written instruction. I can always go back and check.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Oct 2012, 5:29 am

I am exactly like this; my Homer Simpson-ness in me will set in at times, and I won't understand what to do entirely!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 6:24 am

Yeah,
I usually have to write it down on a note pad. It's nice when my boss emails the task or instructions and then I just print them out and keep it on my desk as a reminder.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:11 am

At university, anything the professors said was written down. At work, nothing has changed. It doesn't matter if it's something simple like "fax this to so-and-so," it still gets written on either a piece of paper or on my arm/hand (for more important things, since I often glance at my hands during the course of a day).

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

During my cooking class I would constantly forget what to get when my group told me to get supplies. It was embarrassing when one of the group members wrote me a list telling me to go up and get it. I seriously hated that class.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

Moog wrote:
Yes. One thing to do is to carry a notepad and pen, and ask them to be clear and repeat things until you get it all down.

People get annoyed when I do that.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 1:23 am

Yes I do, which I find odd considering how above-average my auditory memory is. I aced a test last week because I remembered all the details of a scenario we were later asked about, even though I hadn't written anything about it down in my notes. My poor memory for verbal instructions got me into trouble at work and eventually cost me my job; I worked in fast food where things were hectic and busy as a matter of course, and when people threw instructions at me in passing, I couldn't remember them, so instead of asking them to repeat themselves and risk looking like an idiot, I did things as best I could remember, which would invariably wind up with my having done some part of it wrong, and my bosses believing that I was stubborn and refused to "follow directions". They said I needed to be "flexible" and do things as I was taught, but I just couldn't remember the things they were trying to teach! It was so frustrating. I don't have that problem any more though because I work for a self-employed psychologist who communicates everything through text (although to be honest her texts are usually garbled and don't make much sense) but at least I can still ask for clarification and see it written down.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 11:52 am

I hate verbal instructions. Please write it down and/or show me how to do it. Visual cues plaese.