Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:54 am

I hated sports in school. I was on the debate team. I don't watch sports on TV, I am much more of a documentary person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 3:26 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
T3hUnholy1 wrote:
Keeping track of statistics is such a waste of time and energy.

On one hand, I completely agree -- of course you're right; on the other, this describes just about every one of my obsessional interests over the course of almost four decades(! !!) 8O I'll leave it at this: no matter what I think of sports (not much!), I can't throw the first stone in this particular direction!

At one time I could tell you how many people died in every war America fought- and how that figure compared to the Nation's population at the time. Then I could go on tell you both the civilian and military deaths in every major country in world war two and how that compared to that country's population at that time.
Folks thought that was odd.
Yet these same ppl who thought I was odd knew every sports stat in the universe.
Go figure.
I guess the achievements of overpaid guys who play children's games are more important than the death and suffering the human race inflicts on itsself in history.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 3:57 pm

I can certainly emphasis with you guys on the whole hating sport thing as we tend to be a bit clumsy and outsiders as youth. This means being picked last for team sports, coming in last in races, etc. I know that was me in elementary school.

We have a lot of things about us that sort of put us at a disadvantage in our lives (there are good too, but nobody can deny the bad). The way I look at it is I can give into those things or I can improve on those things.

Sport is good for you. Physical fitness is good for you and sport gives you goals towards physical fitness. Personally, I would rather sit in my quiet and dark room and do whatever it is that I obsess over at that moment all day long, every day of the week. Unfortunately, this leads to unheatlhy body, mind and social life. There is nothing quite like sports to give you a social life whether you want it or not. This stuff is good for you and expands your comfort zone.

I have been an athlete my whole life and though I too hate sports (like watching them on TV or following stats, etc) It just made logical sense to me that if I sucked at something, I should work on it. Sports is a great way to work on it without going stale. I have played in numberous leagues and places and today I play on a professional female full contact football team. It keeps me in touch with the NT world and outside of the part of my disorder that makes me a bit sick. It teaches me focus in the midst of chaos. If I shutdown on the football field, I get knocked on my ass. Talk about therapy or a wake up call. Whew....

Life is about balance and your physical/social being is part of that balance. There is nothing quite like being involved in sport to up your balance levels.

Just saying...

nathang
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm

Sports, in theory, is the celebration of the human physical form, competition, and cunning. However, sports have been hijacked by corperate professionalism, and therefore seem unsavory to many. I played baseball most of life, and playing baseball offered me many things I would not have had otherwise, an outlet for me to express myself, a team of people who had my back and vice a versa, and I learned alot about life and how to be a better person because of it.