Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 5:33 am

Ok, just thought I'd pass this along to you guys.

Basically there's this email going around, it gets sent to people with a message and instructions to pass it to everyone you know. As far as I know, the email itself is clean, but what it's saying is false.

Basically, it says that effective January 2011, the government will allow cellphone companies to release personal cell numbers to telemarketers, and that if a telemarketer calls to sell to you, you will be charged for the call. It also has a number for a "Do Not Call" list that will protect your number from these calls, and it tells you to call from the number you wish to be listed.

Yeah, no. I've had several reports that this is indeed BS.

If you get this email, do not forward it to anyone or click on any links within the email. Trash it immediately, and for the love of god do not call the number. More than likely calling this "Do Not Call" list will actually have your number put on a "Do Call" list for whatever corporate clusterf**k that came up with this scam. Whatever happens exactly is unconfirmed, but I would suggest not being the poor guinea pig that actually calls the number and finds out.

Thank you all and have a really great day.

~Roxas

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 5:46 am

Thanks for the heads up. I have been getting telemarketing calls on my cell so it would be easy for me to get fooled if I wasn't paying proper attention.