Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:08 pm

You know....judging from the number of people in this group who claim their IQ is above
130 or something, one would be inclined to think that people with Asperger's/ASD's just
have grossly disproportionately higher IQ's than NTs. I thought our average IQ scores weren't
that much different the average of 100 in the neurotypical population? If you calculated an average
IQ score from this group..you might get a number like 125 or something 8O

This leads me to believe that a goodly number of posters here are spinning tall tales about their
IQ scores. I'm not accusing anyone in particular of that mind you, I just don't think it's something
I can rule out entirely

My own full scale IQ tested at 143 on a professionally-administered (by a licensed neuropsychologist) WAIS I took in 2006.

But i've taken eight professionally-administered IQ tests in my life and my full scale IQ has never been close to that
high on any others.

In fact....it was as low as 94 (low-ish average) on the WAIS I took at 23. It has been sigficantly higher than that on most of the other tests, but I only scored in the "very superior" range on the test in 2006.

Beyond the two polar opposite extremes....my full scale IQ has either been in the high average, above average, superior ,or squarely average (104) ranges on the other six tests. My VIQ has been anywhere from superior-very superior on those tests and my PIQ anywhere
between borderline and high average.

poppy-lou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2010, 1:18 pm

i dont think IQ really matter, but when people just assume you are a genius because of AS..
or it goes the other way and people are like ' your not an aspie, your not a genius!' .. god i hate those people!
I am looking at college courses now, a big problem for me is i HAVE to study at home, as i cant be in a college enviroment, i cant learn and end up going abit crazy! So i have to do distance learning.
Im 24 in July, and i get my first year level 2 and 3 free, if i study before im 25.
So im on a time limit.
im just frustrated that i cant seem to find my specilist. If only there was a degree in pokemon!
my patience is also so bad that starting at the bottom is very annoying. i want to rush in and start at a higher level. but i dont think i would pass it anyway. so so confused and freaking out. :/

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:20 pm

Horus wrote:
You know....judging from the number of people in this group who claim their IQ is above
130 or something, one would be inclined to think that people with Asperger's/ASD's just
have grossly disproportionately higher IQ's than NTs.

My understanding (which may be faulty) is that one must have an IQ above 70 or 80 (not sure the exact cutoff) to be diagnosed with Asperger's. By eliminating the "lower" portion of the population, this redefines the bell curve and would make the average for those in the subgroup of "people with asperger's" higher than the average for the general population.

Which does not eliminate the possibility that people are exaggerating their own scores, or choosing to mention only the highest one they have ever gotten.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:30 pm

I've read that IQ over 115 doesn't really matter in real life.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

another_1 wrote:
Horus wrote:
have grossly disproportionately higher IQ's than NTs.

My understanding (which may be faulty) is that one must have an IQ above 70 or 80 (not sure the exact cutoff) to be diagnosed with Asperger's. By eliminating the "lower" portion of the population, this redefines the bell curve and would make the average for those in the subgroup of "people with asperger's" higher than the average for the general population.

Which does not eliminate the possibility that people are exaggerating their own scores, or choosing to mention only the highest one they have ever gotten.

Yes...you are more or less correct. One must have an IQ above 70 in order to receive an AS dx. Hmm....i'm not certain about though either. Maybe you need an IQ score of 85 or above since 85 is where the average range starts. Scores between 71-84 are considered to be in the borderline intellectual functioning range.

Anyway.... you don't see too many around here claiming their IQ is anything less than 125 or something. Therefore....it would be understandable if there was alot more people claiming their IQ (full scale IQ at least) was around 104 or something.

I think I can count on one. maybe two, hands the number of posters in this group who've claimed their IQ (again....at when it comes to full scale IQ) is anything less than 120.

People with AS as supposedly honest to a fault....but I really don't buy that personally.

I think that much like NTs....many people with AS tend to exagerrate their IQ scores online.

Or maybe some just think the IQ score they received from some online IQ test is legitimate.

In fact....considering that many people with AS and related disorders (myself included here) seem to value "intelligence" above all else, they might tend to amplify their actual IQ score claims online even more than NTs do.

Things like physical appearance, income, the number of friends they have, etc....seem to be more important to NTs than "intelligence" and i'm sure many of them tend to lie about those characteristics online.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

poppy-lou wrote:
Anyone else?
srsly.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 2:10 pm

My three different IQ scores, including the one from my eval for AS which was 158, fall in the "very superior intelligence" to "genius" range but I would not call myself a genius. I think to be a genius you have to think in a way that sets your thinking and understanding apart from the rest of the collective knowledge of society, thus expanding that collective knowledge (provided you do so in a way that contibutes to the collective knowledge of society).

I'm a bit touchy about my IQ, even though I realize it's just a number. But it's a number with baggage. For me, having such a high IQ score just says "You didn't live up to your potential." Most people with IQs like mine would have already done something with their intellectual gifts by my age if they were going to do anything with them. I haven't. I got stuck with childhood PTSD that devoured my young adulthood and the best hopes of accomplishing anything great with my life and talents. But I am aware--sometimes painfully so--that I out-think many other people. I think more broadly, I make more connections and faster, and I can make intuitve leaps that others can't. But I can get sloppy, I know, but mostly because I'm also very impatient and easily frustrated.

Since a very broad range of people with average intelligence or better can be dx'd with AS, I don't think a mere IQ score makes anyone's dx more or less valid, nor would I expect most other people dx'd with AS to have as high an IQ as me. I mean, my score is in the top 1.5% of the population. In the general population, you are not going to find many people in that range. My IQ test figured very little in my overall assessment for AS. There was much more focus on other aspects, as these were the more defining aspects of AS, things liek social deficits, trouble with non-verbal communication, and so on.

That said, I've known quite a few Aspies and suspected Aspies with very high IQs. Mostly these have been in person, not over the internet. And these are very brilliant people--some of them make me feel stupid, and I can be quite proud of my intellect too. I doubt WP users are a very reliable cross-section of Aspies, especially since adult Aspies are grossly unrepresented here and not everyone is who and what they say they are on the internet. :?

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 2:39 pm

Horus wrote:
I think I can count on one. maybe two, hands the number of posters in this group who've claimed their IQ (again....at when it comes to full scale IQ) is anything less than 120.

So, a lower score is reliably a more honest one? Well, just so you know, at times, I have lied about my IQ scores by saying they were lower then they are because I didn't want people to accuse me of lying by saying what they really are. And I've known others who've done that too, both Aspies and NTs. Having people snort in laughter when you say "My score was in the genius range" gets rather annoying after a while. Especially if you're an Aspie like me and really resent people gainsaying you when you know you're being honest and factual.

In truth, people don't judge you by your IQ, but by their presumption of your IQ. And they rarely give you a chance to prove them wrong. Sometimes it's just easier to play along when someone thinks you're not as smart as you are. When I was younger, I'd get pretty uptight about this. It really hurt when people didn't give me credit for my intelligence because my mind was the only thing I thought I had to prove myself with. But now I'm old and cranky and I just want people to leave me alone. So if someone wants to think I'm dumb, fine. They can. I've got better things to do.

Quote:
People with AS as supposedly honest to a fault....but I really don't buy that personally.

In my experience, yes, they are. To a fault. I definitely am. I don't know when to shut up sometimes, and in most cases, I think being honest is more important than being nice. But that doesn't mean I can't lie too, and in particular, to avoid having to deal with someone's a-hole attitude.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 4:12 pm

I still think IQ is a very strong predictor of potential, along with considering that the IQ test has many subtests/scores. And further aptitude testing can clarify what one's mental capabilities are. I guess sometimes if there is a relative lack of success than can be expected from IQ, it may be due to less than optimal management of the learning/career gaining processes.

My IQ was measured at 107 a year ago when I was diagnosed. I was kind of confused throughout parts of the test, and wasn't always aware I had to signal that I was done with a question in a test. I wasn't even sure when he began or finished conducting the whole IQ test. I haven't been sure what kind of depth of answer or explanation was being sought during the part where a question is asked about some concept. My performance IQ is 91 while my verbal IQ is 119. I heard that having a higher verbal than performance IQ is sometimes seen in Aspergers, but I wonder what kind of an aspie I could be since my IQ is only 107. I also had a few other tests that showed my spatial and mechanical skills were like in the 30th percentile. Yet I've usually been drawn to many of the geometric aspects of math and related subjects. But I don't have much of a visual memory for anything. I had weird patterns of grades when I was in school and also on standardized tests. It's hard to describe me. I screw up all kinds of basic tasks sporadically. I lack attention and concentration. I lack motor coordination often. My memory isn't that great for many things. I have very low reading comprehension/speed. My interest in math and science often exceeded my ability to learn and achieve in it to a high level, even though some of my highest grades were from those subjects. I worry that others would overestimate me by knowing what I studied in college, cause I didn't really do that great and only went to a tier 3 school.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 4:16 pm

I ain't no genius either, to say the least.. :lol: