Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 677
Location: la la land

11 Nov 2010, 8:12 pm

Scanner wrote:
My iq is 147. I was never a straight A student. I was more of a straight F student.


I have more of a B+ average with the occasional A here and there... Seriously... I don't know how they do it... usually my grades correlate with my mood or how tired I am... when the time change hits in the spring, my grades plummet...



another_1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 528
Location: Columbia, SC

11 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm

poppy-lou wrote:
, a child shrink would be a dream, and mental health has been an obsession for a long time, but i dont feel smart enough. . . . Although, my IQ was measured at 137 . . . Advice needed please, help me find what i can be great in!! !! !!


It appears to me that you may have answered your own question.

With an IQ of 137, you are certainly smart enough to "do" college. With an Asperger's diagnosis, the school is required by the ADA (if you are in the US - you don't indicate your location) to provide reasonable accommodations. You say you have trouble with math - have you considered getting evaluated for discalcula? While you would certainly still have to take statistics, you might be able to bypass the normally-required algebra classes if you do have it. There is also no shame in taking, say, six years to get a "four year" degree. If you can't deal with the stress of a full course load, take a lighter load. You also don't HAVE to start off at a major university - you can probably take your first two years worth of courses at a local community college, living at home instead of in a dorm in an unfamiliar city. You may very well be able to take many of those courses online, without ever having to leave your home.

I understand - BELIEVE ME, I understand - that you feel awkward to not yet know what you want to do, when many of your peers are already graduating college and starting their careers. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. But, I'd be a lot more comfortable while I was trying to figure it out, if I had started a career - one I at least didn't despise, even if I didn't love it - many years ago, instead of just working random jobs while waiting for my muse to speak to me.



ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 652

12 Nov 2010, 12:21 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm not a genus by any means. My IQ is 113.



:( The irony of this post lol



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

12 Nov 2010, 12:23 am

Very few people are geniuses. However most intelligent people have their creative moments.

ruveyn



Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

12 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

I am not genius but I can certainly sound like one if I had too just by sounding confiedent in what I am saying and knowing enough about a subject to sound legit. I could also certainly type out a big IQ score on some message board and swear to god it the truth which I pretty sure some people on WP have done in previous threads. :wink: In reality I have an average or possibly a slightly above average IQ. Ask Horus he has seen my IQ scores. I know enough to spit out facts about random s**t but do not know enough that NTs do not want to hear those facts. :oops:


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


Lindowyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 72

12 Nov 2010, 4:42 am

I'm not a genius, my IQ is 126. I'm not bad at maths, but also not brilliant. I have some trouble with learning languages ( thats why my english is bad sometimes).
But I am very good at working with dogs. I just get them to do what I want, without doing more than say a command word.
Even random shelter dogs seem to like me and trust me. I also have no problems learning things about something that interests me or remember details from a book I liked.
I belive everyone has a talent, no matter how high or low the IQ is.



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

12 Nov 2010, 4:50 am

Lindowyn wrote:
I'm not a genius, my IQ is 126. I'm not bad at maths, but also not brilliant. I have some trouble with learning languages ( thats why my english is bad sometimes).
But I am very good at working with dogs. I just get them to do what I want, without doing more than say a command word.
Even random shelter dogs seem to like me and trust me. I also have no problems learning things about something that interests me or remember details from a book I liked.
I belive everyone has a talent, no matter how high or low the IQ is.


Yes, because unlike what most people think, IQ cannot tell who is a genius and who is not. Geniuses are very rare, there are the people who has changed something scientifically or culturally (arts for example), those who are still remembered).

By the way, some people will suceed in college with a lower IQ than you could imagine while some will fail with a high IQ. But we all have a talent I think, even if it's an unconventional one or if it does not make us a true genius.

Hey, most people are "average" even with a high IQ or a disorder. :D



pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,204
Location: Sydney, Australia

12 Nov 2010, 5:21 am

IQ is no definite way to measure how intelligent you are. What is a genius anyway? They say Einstein was but the man was hopeless at math. Only the smart successful people are called geniuses.

I know I'm clever even if I only have an IQ of 111 and that my math memory is poor. And if you have ADD and you take meds try doing math on them. I can actually do math quite well on meds. Who cares if you can't do math in your head? People think just because I can't do math on the spot that I'm incapable of it. I can do theoretical physics on the spot but because I can't do math like that or speak clearly without stuttering I'm somehow less intelligent than them.

Anyway, yeah the stereotype is annoying. Just find what you're good at and stick with that. Could be more artistic or just some inborn skills that you've not found a use for yet.

I just recently found out that I want to commit myself to stage light design and actually invent a better stage light for most venues. They're getting a bit old and dusty. And I'm a good writer. So once I get the ADHD procrastination under control I'll pursue these.
Just never ever feel limited by your IQ score. When I did my first IQ test I didn't have glasses and I was stressed out. So my IQ score ended up being 90.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

12 Nov 2010, 6:39 am

Most of us aren't geniuses. I'm not. Gifted, yes; genius, no. And frankly, I am tired of the Aspie=genius stereotype, because it ignores the fact that I have some real weaknesses, both academically and in daily life (more so the latter than the former), and those were ignored for a very long time because everyone assumed that because I am gifted with language and logic, I must be smart in all other areas as well. This is simply not true, as anyone who is gifted in an obvious area like language, but has scattered skills outside that area, knows very well.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


poppy-lou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 28
Location: England

12 Nov 2010, 7:48 am

wow! thanks for everyones advice! its awesome!
I think iam at the age where i HAVE to decide what to do. But my confidence is so so low, that im scared. and as i have pretty much failed everything i have ever done, the odds arent good.
I know i have it in me though. i can feel it, i know i could pass college / uni and be great! but i havent the confidence and i cant figuire out what i am good at. i envy the aspies who use there obsession to become 'experts'.
I think I have potential to be great, but at what?
when i want to study maths or law, or psychiatry at home, i have to be in the right mind to do it or i cant take anything in, and its pretty rare that im in the right mind frame.
But when i am, im great, and i can remember everything and i feel amazing! full of confidence!
is the adhd-add? my low self esteem?
im desprete to prove myself. :/



Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

12 Nov 2010, 8:08 am

poppy-lou wrote:
wow! thanks for everyones advice! its awesome!
I think iam at the age where i HAVE to decide what to do. But my confidence is so so low, that im scared. and as i have pretty much failed everything i have ever done, the odds arent good.
I know i have it in me though. i can feel it, i know i could pass college / uni and be great! but i havent the confidence and i cant figuire out what i am good at. i envy the aspies who use there obsession to become 'experts'.
I think I have potential to be great, but at what?
when i want to study maths or law, or psychiatry at home, i have to be in the right mind to do it or i cant take anything in, and its pretty rare that im in the right mind frame.
But when i am, im great, and i can remember everything and i feel amazing! full of confidence!
is the adhd-add? my low self esteem?
im desprete to prove myself. :/


I may come across as obsessed, but a meditation practice can really help with study, especially for mood, concentration, and regulating negative ADHD effects.

I hope you find what makes you happy, poppy. :)


_________________
Not currently a moderator


Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,287
Location: Freie Stadt Danzig

12 Nov 2010, 8:15 am

My IQ is really high, but with my Social IQ it makes me just average, normal person. I know that I'm really good functioning, because I can think and I seem less autistic than I really am.

People think I know everything or I can do everything. Or I'm conceited superior. I'm not any of these things. Sometimes I got other notes than A. Sometimes I don't know what to do. Sometimes I have to learn. Just like everybody else.


_________________
Change Your Frequency, when you're talking to me!
----
Das gehört verboten! http://tinyurl.com/toobigtoosmall size does matter after all
----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY


Zedition
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 49

12 Nov 2010, 12:42 pm

Many people here are showing a clear misunderstanding of what genius is and how it is defined. People seem to think that genius is only “polymaths” – people with IQ’s of 160 or more who excel at multiple fields; Sagan, Jefferson, Edison, or “math savants” – people like Einstein or Hawkings.

Genius is not just these narrow fields that only encompass about 1 in 10,000,000 people. If fact, nobody can agree on what Genius is. MENSA says IQ 140+. Psychology says “top 1 or 2% by g-factor”. Most people agree savant-skills are a type of genius. It’s all up in the air.

What I see is that AS, when combined with a high IQ, gives a person expertise in using certain skills that NT’s rarely use. The specific skills can be different for each AS. Some people focus on memory and can catalog insane amounts of information. Some people focus on logical order, and become experts at technical math OR writing. Some are experts at theoretical (aka true) mathematics, which is quite different from the technical math (algebra, engineering, programming) most people will learn. My expertise, my area of interest, is determining organization and limits around multidimensional spaces, it is a sub-field of “true” mathematics. I use this interest in several ways, Database work, Econometrics, Business Planning, Inventory and Resource Management, etc… So my singular interest makes me look like a polymath genius to people with a true IQ of 160+, even if I only have an IQ of ~130 and terrible technical-math skills.

One thing AS does is that it prevents us from “filtering information”. NT’s rely on instinctively filtering out input from the world around them to make decisions. I see this as the key skills that makes people think AS are genius. Because we don’t ignore things, we learn to prioritize information better than NT’s do.



Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,018

12 Nov 2010, 1:06 pm

poppy-lou wrote:
Anyone else?
Im kinda sick of the asperger genius label, and feel kinda werid.
Im not that good at maths, although i wish i was, i am at the mo having an obsession with prime and square numbers, trying to figuire out a pattern, but thats about it.
Im also at the start of a dinosaur phase which im excited about, but i know im not going to remember every name and every fact and i kinda feel embarrased that im not a genius.
I quit college as i couldnt fit in and my behaviour wasnt catered for, and now im 23 and trying to figure out my career, ut i have no confidence that i shall get a degree or anything.
I want to do something big! like law, or horse vet, or teaching, a child shrink would be a dream, and mental health has been an obsession for a long time, but i dont feel smart enough.
Although, my IQ was measured at 137, which is pretty good i know, but whats my field? how do i find my intelligence? how do i know what i can excel in? im still waiting to find what i can be great in! - also noted im adhd, so my add doesnt help with the college thing.
Advice needed please, help me find what i can be great in!! !! !!


A lot of people seem to think I'm smarter than I really am which is pretty annoying, but oh well, it's better than them assuming the opposite, eh?



Horus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,302
Location: A rock in the milky way

12 Nov 2010, 1:08 pm

You know....judging from the number of people in this group who claim their IQ is above
130 or something, one would be inclined to think that people with Asperger's/ASD's just
have grossly disproportionately higher IQ's than NTs. I thought our average IQ scores weren't
that much different the average of 100 in the neurotypical population? If you calculated an average
IQ score from this group..you might get a number like 125 or something 8O

This leads me to believe that a goodly number of posters here are spinning tall tales about their
IQ scores. I'm not accusing anyone in particular of that mind you, I just don't think it's something
I can rule out entirely


My own full scale IQ tested at 143 on a professionally-administered (by a licensed neuropsychologist) WAIS I took in 2006.


But i've taken eight professionally-administered IQ tests in my life and my full scale IQ has never been close to that
high on any others.

In fact....it was as low as 94 (low-ish average) on the WAIS I took at 23. It has been sigficantly higher than that on most of the other tests, but I only scored in the "very superior" range on the test in 2006.

Beyond the two polar opposite extremes....my full scale IQ has either been in the high average, above average, superior ,or squarely average (104) ranges on the other six tests. My VIQ has been anywhere from superior-very superior on those tests and my PIQ anywhere
between borderline and high average.



poppy-lou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 28
Location: England

12 Nov 2010, 1:18 pm

i dont think IQ really matter, but when people just assume you are a genius because of AS..
or it goes the other way and people are like ' your not an aspie, your not a genius!' .. god i hate those people!
I am looking at college courses now, a big problem for me is i HAVE to study at home, as i cant be in a college enviroment, i cant learn and end up going abit crazy! So i have to do distance learning.
Im 24 in July, and i get my first year level 2 and 3 free, if i study before im 25.
So im on a time limit.
im just frustrated that i cant seem to find my specilist. If only there was a degree in pokemon!
my patience is also so bad that starting at the bottom is very annoying. i want to rush in and start at a higher level. but i dont think i would pass it anyway. so so confused and freaking out. :/