Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nspektor13
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2006, 7:05 pm

Yeah, I get the call when it comes to helping setup cellular phones, set watches, and help out with the occasional computer or peripheral problem. I did take two years of an Regional Occupational Program in Computer Repair, so I know how to build and take them apart, and I can handle my side of a software battle, but I can't fix the world.

I do enjoy doing the work, I just don't like it when all I get in return is complaints or less than happy responses. I am still part of the family, but sometimes I just don't feel like it anymore. 8)

Timbo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2006, 7:13 am

Yeah, Ive had to fix a few problems that are common knowledge to me, but mind-boggling for anyone else. One example, I made a games site for people at my school to use, without the site being blocked off by the IT Technicians. I copied the page source from an "Access Denied" message, and used that as the bain page with a hidden link. To me, this is basic stuff, but to everyone else its "How did you do that again?"

And my dads Start Menu was taking up too much space (ie off the screen) So i went into the Documents and Settings thing and sorted it out. Its all good now

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 1:55 pm

If it's family, I'll fix their computers. With friends of family, I've had to stop helping them unless I know beforehand they will pay me. (This is a job I could get paid for doing, and this summer I did.) But if you want to help anyone out tell them to get a mac. Get one off eBay used or one of the newer ones which are discount priced. No spyware, and they'll find the interface easier to use.

Quote:
Yeah, Ive had to fix a few problems that are common knowledge to me, but mind-boggling for anyone else. One example, I made a games site for people at my school to use, without the site being blocked off by the IT Technicians. I copied the page source from an "Access Denied" message, and used that as the bain page with a hidden link. To me, this is basic stuff, but to everyone else its "How did you do that again?"

That's cool. One time I wrote a program in VB that looked like a tetris game and asked for the username and password to connect to the internet. The teacher typed the info in and it was saved to a floppy. THen we could get on the internet in typing class anytime we wanted.

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2006, 7:17 am

Back when I was just a power user (where as now I have an advanced degree in a computery field) I was totally amazed by a friend. He used VB to write a custom web browser in a few minutes that bypassed all the lockdowns on IE. Since then I've been trying to learn as much about computers as I can.