well...a good title would have to be RAGE...

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2006, 1:49 am

wobbegong wrote:
hmm

That was a totally over the top reaction to a tennis ball.

Usually for something like that I pocket the tennis ball and act like nothing happened because I know this non-reaction will annoy anyone chucking balls just to get a rise out of me.

I try to think of the best nicest reason I could have been hit by a tennis ball. Someone was aiming for someone else and they missed the throw or the catch.

Again pocketing the tennis ball works - because they have to ask nicely for it back and apologise if they want it. At this point you could pretend to be deaf and ask them to repeat the request/apology a little louder and get the teacher involved that way.

Unfortuately exploding and breaking stuff, doesn't acheive anything useful but you already knew that. So you need to tell yourself to STOP, be focussed on what you want to achieve, wait until you calm down - if you have to leave the room, that's better than breaking things, then think about the best way to deal with the situation.

Now is going to be really tricky because some kids will chuck another tennis ball at you just to watch the dramatic effect. Give them none. They're pea brains that don't deserve free entertainment.

completely wrong. He was right standing up for himself. It may have been a bit much, but he no doubt has inspired fear. Your method would change nothing. I speak from experience.

Goofball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2006, 9:54 pm

wobbegong wrote:
hmm

That was a totally over the top reaction to a tennis ball.

Usually for something like that I pocket the tennis ball and act like nothing happened because I know this non-reaction will annoy anyone chucking balls just to get a rise out of me.

This is the best thing to do. By flipping out you're giving them encouragement to do more things to you because they get entertained by it.

I've had people throw things at me in class a couple of times. The person wouldn't throw anything else because I pretended nothing happened so I took all the fun out of it for them.

Goofball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2006, 10:04 pm

pernicious_penguin wrote:
hmm
but he no doubt has inspired fear. Your method would change nothing. I speak from experience.

Yeah, he inspired enough fear that nobody will want to be his enemy or his friend.

andrew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2006, 10:43 am

Goofball wrote:
hmm
but he no doubt has inspired fear. Your method would change nothing. I speak from experience.

Yeah, he inspired enough fear that nobody will want to be his enemy or his friend.

Yeah, the thing is, I don't go to school for friends. I gave up on that. Total waste of time. Also dont go to learn. too hard. I go to be done.

Goofball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2006, 4:29 am

andrew wrote:
Goofball wrote:
hmm

Yeah, the thing is, I don't go to school for friends. I gave up on that. Total waste of time. Also dont go to learn. too hard. I go to be done.

Don't give up on making friends at school. There's always at least one or two good people that will accept you for who you are and be a loyal friend. If you close your mind to that possibility your chances of finding them will diminish considerably.

As someone with AS & ADD who is much better off as being an autodidactic, I know how hard school is. School was a painful experience on many different levels for me to say the least. Keep your head up and hold onto faith that things will get better than they currently are. Things aren't perfect for me, but compared to the way they were when I was in school they are waaaaay better.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 2:00 am

You should have just whipped the tennis ball back at their stupid faces; but first you should have urinated upon it

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2009, 2:15 am

Andrew, I think I understand where you are coming from.

In regards to the guilt, you should be glad that you feel it, it shows that you are actually a good person and you value being civilised. Now that you feel that, you should let it go, because the guilt has done it's job, it's highlighted the situation, made you examine your actions and now you have learned from them. In future, you will know that if faced with that sort of situation again, reacting in the way that you did has consequences and makes you feel bad.

You have grown from this experience and it's something now you can look back on for reference, rather than dwell on.

I don't think there's any danger of you going insane and hurting people, because you can now remember how dangerous that was, not to mention unpleasant for you. Though it may take a while to convince others of that.

Accept your feelings of guilt, be thankful for them and then let them go. Trust me when I tell you, that holding on to your guilt and letting it gnaw at you can lead to much more damage and be much more dangerous than mastering it.

I think you'll do fine.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 2:49 am

I have no other way of saying this without offending someone: I agree with others who have aptly pointed out that your violent actions were amazingly out-of-line. If I were a parent of students at that school I'd demand your immediate removal. You threatened future violence. It is completely unacceptable. If nothing happened to you (discipline, suspension, something) then the school administrators should be looked at more closely.

Having said that... If it is true that you have no history of violent behavior then I could perhaps look past one indescretion. Normally I use the One-Strike-And-Your-Out system. Admitting guilt over your actions leads me to believe a second chance might be in order. A second offense and I would stop at nothing to see you removed from the school permanently as well as have you arrested.

You say you don't care about anything in school except getting it over with. Your actions seem to indicate otherwise. How do you think those actions would translate in a work setting?

Last edited by NocturnalQuilter on 02 Jan 2009, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2009, 10:06 am

Sometimes I can be violent. When I was younger I would have huge meltdowns where I would hit anyone and destroy everything around me. Now I am much better at controlling it. I believe that it is just the fight or flight response for me. If I can't get out of the situation (flight) I defend myself (fight). When I go into a rage it is automatic and I have no choice about it but I know the things that might trigger a rage and try to avoid any situation where I am not able to leave.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 4:39 pm

I've never done anything that extreme but I definitely relate to that kind of rage. Sometimes I get so angry that I become speechless and since I can no longer defend myself verbally it feels like all the better outlets in which to channel my rage are cut off.

I'd advise you to be very careful in the future though. If something like that happens when you're older people can file a lawsuit. Also you might get arrested and stuck with a criminal record that you can never get rid of.