Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 7:15 pm

Wonderful motion picture. It gets Aspergers over 95 percent right.

ruveyn

cecdwarfer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2010, 9:29 pm

I liked this film it is very touching but I kinda felt sad in the end when he didn't get the girl. I guess that wasn't really the point of the film though. I related to some bits of the film as they reminded me of my own life even though I haven't been diagnosed so don't know if I have Asperger's yet.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm

I really want to see it...

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm

I thought it was a real good movie.

My wife and I started laughing like crazy when it showed his refrigerator filled with Mac and Cheese. It looked just like ours!! !! ! I eat that same brand every day ate work. We have started calling it Aspie Mac. :D

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 7:23 am

I've seen some people bash it but when I saw it at Future Shop I bought it anyway. I've seen a bunch of movies about Asperger's (Mozart and the Whale, Ben X, Temple Grandin, etc.) and Adam is my favourite.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 9:35 am

I love this film and am glad it has been made. It shows the problems people with AS have quite clearly. But I also liked the way it showed the problems that would be faced by someone entering into a relationship with someone with AS. I felt sorry for Beth because she got very little emotion from Adam. But I wonder about the end of the film. Although I understand she wants someone who will be able give some emotional support to her, she missed the fact that Adams actions told her that he loved her. He walked all the way to her house on a snowy night. Surely that must mean something. And its not such a bad thing that he wanted her to guide his day and tell him what things mean. Lots of people in relationships are in it for such things.

But I would give this film to an NT to help them understand AS.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 6:19 pm

Science_Guy wrote:
I've seen some people bash it but when I saw it at Future Shop I bought it anyway. I've seen a bunch of movies about Asperger's (Mozart and the Whale, Ben X, Temple Grandin, etc.) and Adam is my favourite.

I agree. The people who made -Adam- got being Aspie very close to perfect.

-Temple Grandin- was a different sort of film. It was biographical.

ruveyn

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2010, 10:37 pm

adam, mozart and the whale, and ben x are great movies.
i have recently gotten in the habit of watching both adam and mozart and the whale at least 1-2 times a month. i just watched adam a few days ago and i'll probably watch mozart before thanksgiving (or even tonight). i think im just searching at the moment for more comfort and acceptance of being aspie by watching movies about aspies.. If only i could meet "beth" in real life, life would be better. well for awhile at least. until i move to California and work at a planetarium and she writes a book about raccoons named mark. :lol:

does anyone think they could do a Adam 2? they could take it to the next step of a successful, long term relationship ending with a marriage or maybe an adam as a married man diagnosed with asperger's and the trials/tribulations of his life. At least with mozart it has a more happy love ending. :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 9:56 am

Musicprophets wrote:
adam, mozart and the whale, and ben x are great movies.
i have recently gotten in the habit of watching both adam and mozart and the whale at least 1-2 times a month. i just watched adam a few days ago and i'll probably watch mozart before thanksgiving (or even tonight). i think im just searching at the moment for more comfort and acceptance of being aspie by watching movies about aspies.. If only i could meet "beth" in real life, life would be better. well for awhile at least. until i move to California and work at a planetarium and she writes a book about raccoons named mark. :lol:

does anyone think they could do a Adam 2? they could take it to the next step of a successful, long term relationship ending with a marriage or maybe an adam as a married man diagnosed with asperger's and the trials/tribulations of his life. At least with mozart it has a more happy love ending. :lol:

The ending to Adam was not all gloomy. There is at least a glimmer and a hope that the relationship can be renewed or continued. After all, Beth does (or did) love Adam.

When Adam said he loved beth it came our more like he -needed- Beth which was certainly the case.

By the way did you notice how Adam ended up his lecture. He said, maybe it is better of you all went out a looked at the sky. It sounds like he was becoming more "human". That is the story of my life. Over a period of decades (I am an old geezer) I learned to adapt to the NT world and I even developed a "feel" for the NT modalities. I "pass" for human rather easily these day. And I was fortunate enough to meet and marry "my Beth". My wife is an NT and we get along just fine (53 years and counting).

ruveyn

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 2:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Wonderful motion picture. It gets Aspergers over 95 percent right.

ruveyn

You've finally seen the movie. I first went to see it about a year ago with one of my old high school teachers. I also think it portrayed Asperger's quite accurately. I loved the film.

asprin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 8:48 pm

to me the movie sucks and i hate it, but thats my opinion

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

Ruyven, I'm really glad that you married your Beth, and are still happy after all this time. I've read quite a few reviews of this movie on this forum, but for some reason your review has tipped the balance for me, and I'm going to buy it... if I can find a version that plays on UK dvd players.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 3:32 pm

Just saw it today. I did not like the fact he did not end up with Beth. I felt because he did not get the girl, the movie was saying people with AS could not have a sig other relationship. Bad message to send, IMO.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 3:40 pm

Quote:
I'm going to buy it... if I can find a version that plays on UK dvd players.

My local libraries both stock it so it must be available in the UK at a HMV or something. I personally liked the movie until the ending. I thought it was too sad. My life sucks enough without films with sad endings! I felt like the message was: weird guy can't get and keep girlfriend' It gave me no hope of ever finding my own partner (a man obviously because I am a girl).

I might get lynch mobbed for not liking it but that was my opinion :)

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 3:02 am

The actress that played Beth has one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen.

aMuse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2010, 5:02 pm

I and my better half watched it. Really liked it. I liked at the beginning, as narrator, Beth says how she "..never thought I would be the pilot.." I thought this lent itself very well to the end result of them not ending up together. She was what Adam *needed* to be able to finally be.. Adam. He was stuck in a little cubicle, unappreciated and alone. At the end of the movie, he has the entire universe to explore, a bench with an incredible view, a book so heavily inspired by him it could only have been entitled "Adam," and signs of being able to integrate with the population of an alien world with a bit more ease. Maybe Beth comes to visit soon after? Maybe Adam finds someone else? The last we see of Adam, he is smiling.

I have been through relationships (few) that ripped my heart out. Looking back, I can see quite clearly how poisonous they would have become, had I simply held onto my love for an idea, rather than for the actual person.

What I want to know is.. the spinning models. I want them. Especially the one in the lawyer's office!! ! Does anyone know what to call them?