Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:43 pm

Sorry if this doesn't make sense this is a two part post.

First Part

My grandfather thinks that if he prays my Autism will be cured forver. It's really starting to upset me. I told him "What if I like being autistic? What if I see it as a gift and not a curse?" He said "I thought you were gonna get cured and be a spokeswoman who had it and has people sign a petition to get rid of autism? Do you seriously think God wants Autistic people around?"
First of all. I don't know if God OR Satan OR any of that exsist! I have no clue! When I see it I'll believe it. I'm not gonna make a false promise to myself. Second there is no cure for Autism and I like my disabilty. I don't want a car a house a husband or kids. I want to date until I find the true love, have pets, I want to live in the city with my mom and dad and take a bus to my retail/saleswoman job. I want a town house or apartment or flat! I just can't believe how ignorant he's being!

Second Part

I love to wear "darker" clothes ever since middle school. Then high school came and I felt the need to be a girly girl. So I took of my eyeliner, wore frilly, preppy pieces of junk I don't feel comfortable in. Now my teachers in my program think I'm a fashion plate. So I started wearing my eyeliner, tripp pants and black tops again then I got called a fashion plate again. And said"It's too late to change back" and changed back to girly girl. Well, that's not really me. I cleaned my closet of those clothes today and now am going back to what feels right for me. Problem is what if they say something again. I guess I'm gonna resist the urge to be what they think I am but oh well I gave them a false image. Trust me I'm MUCH more stable when I don't have to freak out over not fitting into a babydoll or dress top after I eat a doughnut. I much more stable when I'm...me. So what sounds better being a false image or being comfortable with who you are. I'm just glad I don't have to see this one therepist again. If she saw me in my "Darker" clothes she'd flip and assume I'm messed up in the head and need help or something like that. She's so flippin' campy and goodie two shoes.

Note: About the "Darker" clothes I am a Mallcore/Gamer and very happy :D

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm

1. If God didn't want autistics to exist, we would all be NT. Your grandpa is well-intentioned but severely misguided.
2. Definitely being comfortable is more important than looking good to other people. As the woodshop teacher on Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide said, "Fashion is crud. Style is what matters." You wear what style fits you. For me, it's sandals, jean shorts, and a t-shirt. Nothing else except maybe a hoodie if I really need it.

Kaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2010, 12:40 am

1. I find what your grandfather said highly offensive. God created you and me this way, and He loves us for who we are. Look at all of the great things people with AS have brought to this planet (Einstein, Newton, Bill Gates, Beethoven). Seriously, God wants autistic people around! :)

2. Just be yourself. Don't force yourself to wear things that make you uncomfortable. It will only make you unhappy.

157/200 Aspie -- 41/200 NT

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 2:23 am

your grandfather has a different mindset, that will never change, you must understand that. You must acknowledge that your grandfather doesn't know all. So his statements are coming from an insufficient background. What you have, or what they tell you that you have, should be used as a gift. You are structured different to help out in your own way. Find that way.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 2:30 am

1. Probably best to let your grandfather's comments pass through one ear and out the other.

2. don't worry about what people say. if u wanna switch between mallcore and mainstream on a daily basis then do so. keep people guessing and on their toes. I wish i cared enough about fashion to make it somebody's talking point

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 9:40 am

Kaspie wrote:
1. I find what your grandfather said highly offensive. God created you and me this way, and He loves us for who we are. Look at all of the great things people with AS have brought to this planet (Einstein, Newton, Bill Gates, Beethoven). Seriously, God wants autistic people around! :)

2. Just be yourself. Don't force yourself to wear things that make you uncomfortable. It will only make you unhappy.

And I told him it was offending me and he kept on and on about it.

Off Topic: Is that your puppy in your avatar. She's absolutley beautiful(and I'm a cat person lol)

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2010, 1:02 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Off Topic: Is that your puppy in your avatar. She's absolutley beautiful(and I'm a cat person lol)

Yes, that's Lucy. Isn't she adorable! :)

157/200 Aspie -- 41/200 NT