Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2010, 11:33 am

The DSM-IV definition for OCD says of the compulsions: "The aim of these behaviors is to reduce or eliminate distress or to prevent something that is dreaded."

What would it be called if someone has the compulsions, but not the dread and distress? Just a compulsion to repeat some mental thought process (like mentally reading street signs or some mental ritual) or physical activity?

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 11:50 am

Is this perseveration? My counselor says I do perseveration a lot in my head. Going over an idea over and over again and it can be comforting. It can also be like spinning my wheels in a way and need help getting that under control so that I can change my focus, broaden it, or keep it under control.

My brain wants to do this sort of thing.

It's not like a distressing "sticky thought" like OCD. Although, I do have OCD thoughts especially in regard to social interaction.

Others here know more about these then I do. It's possible I misunderstood my counselor.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2010, 2:32 pm

theexternvoid wrote:
The DSM-IV definition for OCD says of the compulsions: "The aim of these behaviors is to reduce or eliminate distress or to prevent something that is dreaded."

What would it be called if someone has the compulsions, but not the dread and distress? Just a compulsion to repeat some mental thought process (like mentally reading street signs or some mental ritual) or physical activity?

Then what you're looking at is not technically OCD. Parts of AS are smiliar in appearance to OCD, but not motivated by the same impulses. I think repetitive behavior in AS is an attempt to control the amount of stimuli we have to process, so it doesn't become overwhelming. The more you can compartmentalize, the less unexpected stuff you have to deal with.