GNOME 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 60

Appen
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2006, 1:43 am

I don't know about you, but I :heart: free programes(espically Linux :wink:) And I would like to know what free programs you like so I can try them out

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 5:35 am

I dunno about OS's or browsers, but I love Spybot S&D and AdAware.

On sabbatical...

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2006, 8:50 am

I would have to go with Firefox or Linux.

Firefox is wonderful because it is more secure than IE, and it provides tabbed browsing, and the ability to install extensions, which add lots of nice features to your browser.

Linux is great because it provides an alternative OS for Windows or Mac. Because I do not like Microsoft, I tend not to use their products, so the advent of Linux has provides me with another OS that I am able to use.

Last edited by Spriteling on 11 Jun 2006, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

medianmistermustard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jun 2006, 11:08 am

Firefox, in my opinion is the one program listed that unequivocally bests its commercial competitors. Certainly the open source program I use the most.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2006, 6:57 pm

Seamonkey 1.02 /was Mozilla 1.8 now called seamonkey. Reasons why i like it are more control that firefox no flash by defaut, still has turn loop gifs off. Firefox is alot better than IE but still could use more controls. And I like openoffice, Gimp and Audacity

Space
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 8:52 pm

What's firefox? As for free programs, SpyBoy S&D, AdAware, AVG, BitComet(I don't know if that counts)... I got a question: Does anyone actually use Linux here? It sounds like it would be a b***h to try and get it to work with all your programs. Besides, windows owns too many patents these days... Maybe in a few decades we'll see another O/S go head to head with windows that the average idiot can use.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 9:34 am

Gimp is a strange choice of name for a program. According to dictionaries, a gimp is "A person who limps" or "disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet ".

So calling a program "Gimp" is like calling it "Crippled Program".

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2006, 3:47 pm

Free as in free speech or free beer?

Quote:
Gimp is a strange choice of name for a program. According to dictionaries, a gimp is "A person who limps" or "disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet ".

So calling a program "Gimp" is like calling it "Crippled Program".

GIMP = GNU Image Manipulator Program

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 10:39 pm

I like Jalbum photo album software

http://jalbum.net/

You take a folder full of oversized photos and it makes a new folder with copies all trimmed down to size, thumbnails and pretty html to make it all look good.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 2:03 am

medianmistermustard wrote:
Firefox, in my opinion is the one program listed that unequivocally bests its commercial competitors. Certainly the open source program I use the most.

"Unequivocally"? There isn't a single category where the commercial, but freely distributed, Opera browser doesn't either tie or best Firefox.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 5:15 am

I would say that it this is heavily dependant on what a person is using things for.

Further, most of those work at their best when in combination.

Which is in some cases how it is by design. The output of one thing becomes the input to another.

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2006, 5:54 pm

I like FireFox, but I have a suspicion when Windows Vista comes along, Internet Explorer is going to be integrated with Microsoft's systems and other services like the Live Anywhere and have new features that the other browsers can't begin to compete with and I'm going to have to switch to it...

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 9:26 pm

Anything Microsoft does, GNU can (and does) do better

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2006, 9:41 pm

i had to pick other as the peice of free software i use the most is called php designer from MPsoftware. its is avery very good php IDE.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 11:58 pm

FireFox is the best free program out there. It comes with an e-mailer called ThunderBird, so you can dump that nasty Outlook Express.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 11:10 pm

Space wrote:
What's firefox? As for free programs, SpyBoy S&D, AdAware, AVG, BitComet(I don't know if that counts)... I got a question: Does anyone actually use Linux here? It sounds like it would be a b**** to try and get it to work with all your programs. Besides, windows owns too many patents these days... Maybe in a few decades we'll see another O/S go head to head with windows that the average idiot can use.

Linux isnt a complete b***h to get it to work. There are some parts about it that are a b****. But if you want to check linux out with out any stress. Download Knoppix http://www.knoppix.net/get.php and burn the image to a cdrom and restart your computer with the knoppix cd in the drive and you will boot into linux with out having to install any thing to your harddrive.

So just give it a try. Then you can call it a b**** after you have tryed it.

Gentoo, Is a B****. Stay away from it.