Darwin's theory of gradual evolution not supported by geolog

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:35 am

Orwell wrote:
Humans have been known to kill mother-f***ing whales with pointed sticks, they're not exactly pushovers.

That'll teach em to F*** my momma.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 9:30 am

Inuyasha wrote:

But then how did we know how to make the tools to fight. A large group of humans with their bare hands and maybe sticks or rocks wouldn't be enough to fight an angry grizzly. You actually would have to have weapons.

1. Because we are smart apes. In fact we are the smartest apes.

2. At first humans were scavengers and gatherers, not hunters. Humans gradually picked up on proactive hunting over the centuries. The earliest hunting was endurance hunting. Our ancestors were hairless and could sweat. They could pursue game over hours and days and run them down into exhaustion. It was essentially weaponless killing.

The fastest mammals like the cheetah and jaguar are sprinters. Humans are long distance runners.

ruveyn

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 11:55 am

Orwell wrote:
Humans have been known to kill mother-f***ing whales with pointed sticks, they're not exactly pushovers.

whale kabobs!

i've had it with these mother-f***ing wales in this mother-f***ing ocean! (apparently)

update on the human/whale arms race:

whales and their allies (hippies) have acquired batman-level technology.

japanese humans, having seen all the batman movies before the hippies (whales don't watch movies), realized that batman couldn't keep his batman-level technology from breaking and that hippies are not batman.

and they avenged fuzzy's momma.

if only dolphin and whale hadn't dropped that bomb....

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 11:59 am

Inuyasha wrote:

But then how did we know how to make the tools to fight. A large group of humans with their bare hands and maybe sticks or rocks wouldn't be enough to fight an angry grizzly. You actually would have to have weapons.

that's an excellent question. how about, instead of trying to figure out the answer, we just say "a wizard did it."

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm

waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

that's an excellent question. how about, instead of trying to figure out the answer, we just say "a wizard did it."

True story: ^that's how religion started.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

skafather84 wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I'm sure a bush that is on fire (and not burning) that is talking has an entirely rational explanation. :roll:

For that matter, I am sure the parting of the Red Sea has an entirely rational explanation as a mass hallucination. :roll:

While I am sure there are such things as coincidences there reaches a point when things are no longer coincidences.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 1:42 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I'm sure a bush that is on fire (and not burning) that is talking has an entirely rational explanation. :roll:

For that matter, I am sure the parting of the Red Sea has an entirely rational explanation as a mass hallucination. :roll:

While I am sure there are such things as coincidences there reaches a point when things are no longer coincidences.

hallucination and historical embellishment.

if a man wandering around in the desert is hearing voices and seeing things that are not on fire as being on fire, he is probably hallucinating. i consider tales of wizardry to be tales of wizardry, so the notion of an egyptian-born wizard-jew using his magic-staff to part the red sea isn't very credible, to me. to you, magic seems to be a perfectly acceptable answer to the question "why does this story sound impossible?"

perhaps you also believe the stories of hercules?

or is it easier for you to see that those are fictional, in nature, and not historical? "mass hallucination" implies that everything about the story except the parting of the red sea is true and accurate.

bookstore protip: books that have wizards that use magic are fiction. if you read a book about the american revolution and it says george washington shot lightening bolts from his horse's eyes to kill entire british regiments, you can safely assume the account is fictional.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:30 pm

Just because a story sounds impossible doesn't mean it may not have actually happened.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:33 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Just because a story sounds impossible doesn't mean it may not have actually happened.

this is a true statement.

however, as carl sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:42 pm

waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

however, as carl sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

And I will point out that it is kinda hard for evidence to survive 4000-7000 years at the very least after the event.

I will also point out that it may be entirely possible that it is entirely accurate because they obviously had a written language at the time. (Or they wouldn't have been able to read the Ten Commandments)

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:44 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

And I will point out that it is kinda hard for evidence to survive 4000-7000 years at the very least after the event.

I will also point out that it may be entirely possible that it is entirely accurate because they obviously had a written language at the time. (Or they wouldn't have been able to read the Ten Commandments)

You do know that there's hundreds of myths written in the "languages" of their times and that does not really increase their probability of being correct, right?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:53 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

You do know that there's hundreds of myths written in the "languages" of their times and that does not really increase their probability of being correct, right?

I am aware of that, however usually they are to explain something that actually occurred at that time. It is a lot harder for events to get blown out of proportion as time goes on when they are written down.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 3:02 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I am aware of that, however usually they are to explain something that actually occurred at that time. It is a lot harder for events to get blown out of proportion as time goes on when they are written down.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 3:33 pm

@waltur

They didn't have printing presses back in ancient time it took a lot of work to record things. If they had papyrus it would have been expensive.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 3:49 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

The same principle applies to early Judeo-Christian mythology.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 3:55 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

The same principle applies to early Judeo-Christian mythology.

Well I would say look at Egyptian records except they had a bad habit of destroying records if it made them look bad or would be considered extremely embarassing. Losing an army fleeing after a bunch of escaped slaves would certainly be embarassing.