can autistic people have amnesia, dementia and alzheimers?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 4:31 pm

I would hypothesize that it's possible, BUT I don't know and I think we should do studies to see how protected various neurotypes are against various degenerative diseases and specific types of brain injury. Maybe we'll learn something interesting.

NOT A DOCTOR

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2010, 8:06 pm

There is a very strong history of Alzheimers my fathers side, going back a number of generations. If I had to guess the genetic precursor to my own AS would be from the same side of my family.

I always actually wondered if the AS causes a higher rate of Alzheimers, sort of the final burnout from a lifetime of being overworked. I am fully expecting dementia and Alzheimers at a young age.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:17 pm

I wonder what I will be like when I get Dementia?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

I sometimes feel like I have beginnings of alzheimers due to my bad memory. I constantly have people telling me I should look into getting my memory looked at by a professional. My father's memory is pretty crappy as well.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
lelia wrote:
I really hate seeing someone call anyone else a ret*d. I have a daughter who is ret*d. The term should not be used as approbation. Also you are factually incorrect about people with retardation not getting Alzheimer's. You may be thinking of people with Down's Syndrome who seem to be protected against Alzheimer's.
Please excuse my sensitivity about that, Ivegotyou.

I also don't like that word. It brings back memories.

I don't like it either. People call me a ret*d all the time. Sometimes shouted out of car windows. I don't at all mind being thought of as intellectually disabled, which a lot of people do think of me. But I have a problem with using a kind of person as an insult like that.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... racks.html

While you are busy using it to treat your autism, it may be preventing your dementia too!

www.facebook.com/cfoura

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

I wonder what I would be like if I get Dementia when I'm old? It scares me.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1087544/Cannabis-stop-dementia-tracks.html

While you are busy using it to treat your autism, it may be preventing your dementia too!

Printed in the Daily Mail, therefore certain to be wrong.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

I'm absolutely convinced that many, if not most, cases of "dementia" among senior citizens in nursing homes are REALLY untreated ADD and/or AS... possibly made enormously worse by giving them tranquilizers, and that many of them could potentially have their quality of life *profoundly* improved by Concerta, Dexedrine, Adderall, Desoxyn, or even Strattera.

For some reason, there's a nearly *insurmountable* taboo in America against trying stimulant meds on elderly patients with "dementia", even amidst abundant anecdotal evidence that they work just as well for the elderly as they do for kids and younger adults, and can often work miracles and completely transform the lives of elderly patients who were suffering from ADD long before it ever had a proper name or treatments.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2011, 3:29 am

The_Walrus wrote:
CannabisForAutism wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1087544/Cannabis-stop-dementia-tracks.html

Printed in the Daily Mail, therefore certain to be wrong.

Yes you are partly right, the Daily Mail will often sensationalise and maybe you have a future in bad science reporting, like neurobonkers - http://neurobonkers.com/2011/12/11/dail ... zophrenia/

However, the DM seems to be ok whenever it reports the health benefits of cannabis. It's just the 'dangers' that it gets wrong.

Historically, every medical condition claimed to be treatable with cannabis has, under scientific scrutiny, turned out to be true. Autism will join the list sometime in the next few years.

The real truth about cannabinoids and Alzheimer's? Maybe you can nail it for us: http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=c ... as_sdtp=on

www.facebook.com/cfoura

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 3:38 am

Yes they can.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

I'm really terrified of the idea of getting dementia and Alzheimer's in my old age. Life is already confusing and mentally stressful enough without adding those things in the mix plus my life is not something that I would consider happy to remember even bits of if the Alzheimer's were to kick in. I don't wanna relive the bad stuff of the past but I fear that might be the case if when I become a senior.

I work at a rehab/hospice for older persons mostly. The environment, the behavior, and the treatment the patients get make becoming an old person less and less ideal for me.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

Isn't Rhett Syndrome referred to as Infantile Dementia?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I would hypothesize that it's possible, BUT I don't know and I think we should do studies to see how protected various neurotypes are against various degenerative diseases and specific types of brain injury. Maybe we'll learn something interesting.

There's actually been at least one study suggesting that those on the spectrum are, in fact less likely to get Alzheimer's, or if we do get it, it will at least start at an older age.

Here's the article:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/aut ... %E2%80%99s

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 5:11 am

I don't buy all these stupid articles and studies about Aspies being "less likely" or "more likely" to get dementia.

If you get it you get it, if you don't you don't. Simple as that.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2017, 5:46 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't buy all these stupid articles and studies about Aspies being "less likely" or "more likely" to get dementia.

If you get it you get it, if you don't you don't. Simple as that.
My thoughts exactly.