Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 4:00 pm

I love movies and 2 of my favourite franchises are The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Rings is my favourite out of the 2. But I have never read the books. I don't really do much reading unless it is short or has pictures e.g. comic books. Has anyone else ever loved these movies and have never read the books.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 6:21 pm

tb86 wrote:
I love movies and 2 of my favourite franchises are The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Rings is my favourite out of the 2. But I have never read the books. I don't really do much reading unless it is short or has pictures e.g. comic books. Has anyone else ever loved these movies and have never read the books.

As literature goes, Tolkien's works are at a much higher level than are J.R. Rowling's works

ruveyn

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 7:19 pm

I never read LOTR & love the movies vs. I read all the HP books 4+ times & am so-so about the movies

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 1:31 am

I'm invading here, because I am thoroughly unqualified. But I'm not starting a debate... I'm just here to say that I could see someone loving LOTR if they have not read the books. But do you find that, having not read the HP books, you get a little lost watching the movies? Much as I gripe about LOTR, they did a better job of explaining things, I thought. Did you find that any of the HP movies seemed to leave something out? I've wondered this but always knew too much about the story to really be able to tell.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

irishwhistle wrote

Quote:
I'm invading here, because I am thoroughly unqualified. But I'm not starting a debate... I'm just here to say that I could see someone loving LOTR if they have not read the books. But do you find that, having not read the HP books, you get a little lost watching the movies? Much as I gripe about LOTR, they did a better job of explaining things, I thought. Did you find that any of the HP movies seemed to leave something out? I've wondered this but always knew too much about the story to really be able to tell.

I was able to understand them quite well. Not too well but well enough. There were a few questions to be asked that the books could probably explain. Such as in OOTP that Harry and Luna were the only ones to see those creatures because they both saw death and yet it is unexplained when Ron and the others can see them when they are riding them to London. My sister explained the reason but I can't remember.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:30 am

tb86 wrote:
irishwhistle wrote

Quote:

I was able to understand them quite well. Not too well but well enough. There were a few questions to be asked that the books could probably explain. Such as in OOTP that Harry and Luna were the only ones to see those creatures because they both saw death and yet it is unexplained when Ron and the others can see them when they are riding them to London. My sister explained the reason but I can't remember.

Interesting... I had my doubts, obviously, about whether they really hit all the points. I guess when they left something out, they left it all out. Well, hopefully the final films will, with two movies to one book, be able to explain everything properly. They look pretty danged exciting.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.