Scientists claim breakthrough in antimatter hunt

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2010, 7:22 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
petitesouris wrote:
I must admit that I do not get why there supposedly was more antimatter than exists now.

When matter and antimatter come into contact they annihilate each other to produce an enormous amount of energy.

E=mc^2

That's why starships in Star Trek (at least Federation ones) used matter/anti-matter reactions to power the ship.

But if matter and antimatter annihilate each other, would there not be equal quantities of each?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 7:39 pm

petitesouris wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
petitesouris wrote:
I must admit that I do not get why there supposedly was more antimatter than exists now.

When matter and antimatter come into contact they annihilate each other to produce an enormous amount of energy.

E=mc^2

That's why starships in Star Trek (at least Federation ones) used matter/anti-matter reactions to power the ship.

But if matter and antimatter annihilate each other, would there not be equal quantities of each?

According to theory, the big bang produced more matter than antimatter which is a good thing otherwise we wouldn't exist.

@ waltur

Heh, well just don't get into a Star Trek vs. Star Wars debate with me, it will get highly technical at a rapid pace.