Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hmm..
Autism is a part of my personality 33%  33%  [ 36 ]
Autism is a part of my personality 33%  33%  [ 36 ]
I sometimes wish I could be part of the "NT society", but I wouldn't change the way I am 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
I sometimes wish I could be part of the "NT society", but I wouldn't change the way I am 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
I wish I was NT. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I wish I was NT. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 110

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 5:44 pm

Some of the many good points
1. OBSESSIONS. ARE. FUN.
2. I can relate to cats.
3. I hardly ever get lonely.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 6:59 pm

1.Obsessions.
2.The high sense of honor.
3.being able to sense things better than those around me.
4.And, always, knowing more than everyone else.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2006, 4:11 am

Being self contained.
Never getting bored.
Being able to amuse myself, have private jokes with myself, enjoy my own company.
My obsessions and the good feeling i get when i do something i love.
Being able to completely blank teh behaviour of others around me. This is often not voluntary but it is great! I can do what i want and not get distracted. Also i miss peoples stupid or mean behaviour and therefore don't have to deal with it.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2006, 9:53 am

When i'm working on a problemm that other people are also working oin, and I suddenly "think sideways" and get the correct solution.

It's not something I can control, it just HAPPENS. Used to get me in no end of trouble in Maths classes because I could never write out how I arrived at my soloution cos I did it in my head. I got accused of cheating once, the teacher made me do a different test in a room on my own and I STILL got correct answers without being able to explain or show how.

Julie

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2006, 6:23 pm

I'm glad I'm how I am. Hobbies are great! And hyperfocusing... seems not to be working very well now as I can't think of what else to put in this post... seems to work better when I'm actually in the middle of programming or game modding than when I'm writing something, unless I'm writing something directly related to my hobby...

jammie wrote:
i like the hyperfocus and i wouldent have the PHP/ MySQL skills i have without obbsessions.

Do you know of any good tutorials for PHP+MySQL? I'm getting into those now, and already have Apache+PHP+MySQL set up on my computer for testing (which it was the biggest pain to get it all working... first I have it all ready, but it takes me 30 minutes before I find a webpage saying that the version of Apache I was using couldn't work with PHP, so I clean up the installs and get a different version of Apache and take some time to get that working, and PHP finally works, but then MySQL starts screwing up, service won't start and its complaining of a very vague error, and I start searching for one of those all-in-one kits... I'm just so glad it works now finally...) and just looking for some good tutorials for getting used to PHP and all. I'm already familiar with HTML.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 9:39 pm

Some of us have unusual Accents. :D

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 2:15 pm

I know I have Welsh Irish blend!WOOO!

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 10:12 pm

I love it because:

a) I have well defined focuses: I know exactly how do I want to be, I know I want to be a singer and a lawyer while my mates ended up high school without knowing what to do with their lives.

b) I can say I enjoy good company, but I don't desperately need it. I am a lady and I can go to the bathroom alone, I can also eat alone without needing to turn the t.v. on, and I don't need a t.v. in my bedroom either (o.k. a t.v. in my bedroom would be rather uncomfortable), and I never get bored

c) I think AS has something to do with me being very intelligent and intelligent in a different way so i like it

d) O.K., I admit it, I like the fact that people, specially school classmates (though they have always bullied me) admire me and envy me because of being eccentric; I know it's not right but I enjoy it.

e) I plain love myself, like I said before, even in my worst depressive and low self-steem moments, never wanted to be somebody other than me, and I've alway thought that if you change one part of yourself, everything in you will change, so AS is a part of me, and I love myself, I like being aspie.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2006, 6:30 am

1. The lack of ability to become a mindless conformist.
2. Understanding the underlying meanings of life rather than of small talk.
3. The mutual, knowing glance when I meet someone like myself.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 6:49 pm

i like how people always asumes i am the little 'ret*d kid' who never speaks, but then it comes to somthing i am interested in (or if someone has some bad information on just about anything), I speak almost as i rehersed my conversations(which i do, sometimes).... :D
I love hearing people try to follow me in these conversations :lol:

sorry if this is confusing i typed out of order and then reordered everything

I also like being able to find entertainment in any situation

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 8:52 pm

Bluntly stating the truth about how one feel's rather than "beating around the bush".
This trait makes it easy to tell where one stands on any issue.
That is very convenient.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 10:36 am

Bland wrote:
Bluntly stating the truth about how one feel's rather than "beating around the bush".
This trait makes it easy to tell where one stands on any issue.
That is very convenient.

in some situations i have found this too be a bad thing, but mostly good

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2006, 8:46 pm

Yes, it can seem rude but overall, honesty is the best policy! :wink:

architeuthis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2006, 10:13 am

Being able to avoid the typical college girl drama.

Being able to live my life without having to validate myself through others.

Sensory joys that most folks miss. I'm the only person I know who enjoys the interplay of colors when the sun is shining on a stand of trees in front of an advancing thunderstorm... oh yeah.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm

I like having extremely visual thinking (i.e. I can mentally turn around shapes, and am really good with directions if I've seen a map of the place before and am informed of the current location).

Anothing thing that seems to be related to being autistic is that in math class, I would just look at a problem and arrive at the answer immediately, solving for instance a problem involving logarithms in seconds, whereas solving the same problem by thinking it through the verbal steps would have taken me a LOONG time. I've been reading up on number theory lately and am understanding it very well. It seems like sometimes I slip into an almost-but-not-quite-savantish mode with math and physics (for the majority of the time), but if I'm overloaded or something, then the only mode of thinking available is the verbal, which tends to be extremely nonspecific, and so complicates math and science problems for me.

Science and math are what I love (along with writing, drawing, reading, piano, etc.), so I'm glad that I think in a way that is conducive to learning these subjects and providing creative insight (for instance, while everyone in my science class comes to understand a given principle because of the line of reasoning provided in the textbook, I come to the same conclusion through a totally independent line of reasoning that is not presented in the text or lectures.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 6:48 pm

being able to walk around in a circle for hours without getting bored
:D