Anyone who is NT with an ASD or AS Sibling?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KatScott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2010, 7:05 pm

I'm 18 years old and neurotypical. My eight year old brother has classic autism but, he is recovering. We still face the challenge of toilet training, social interaction, and his daily fits and tantrums. He has the mentality of a four year old so he is still very much a baby.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions or needs advice, come here. Vent.....

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Nov 2010, 8:58 pm

Welcome to WP!! !

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 12:10 am

Welcome, I will say for me it's the other way around. I am the eldest and am on the spectrum my younger sibling is a NT.

spectrummom
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2010, 3:13 pm

Hello,

Interesting you should ask, as I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I believe myself to be NT and have an older sister (by less than 2 years) who I suspect is somewhere in the range of AS, probably subclinical. Now that my son has AS, it's all starting to come together. I clearly remember the obsessions, the rigidity of thought, the awkward social interactions. Whenever I share a story about my son with my Mom, especially a perplexing one, she tells me it reminds her of when my sister did something as a child.

For me, having this context makes the whole thing a whole lot easier to understand and accept. We've never been especially close, and now I understand that it's not just that our personalities are very different. OK, I'm still working on the acceptance part :lol: .

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 6:39 pm

I'm AS with siblings who are autistic and NT. I always wonder what the NT one thinks of us. I'd imagine it's no fun to have siblings who hardly interact with you and embarrass your friends when they come over.

KatScott

26 Nov 2010, 2:45 pm

My brother is fun to be around and he talks to me all the time so it's not so bad.
I read about autism everyday to remind myself of the reasons for his behavior. I get impatient and irritated be because of his meltdowns. On the other hand, I get angry at myself because I want to help him but I can only do so much. It's heart breaking to see my brother struggle everyday in school and when I want to step in.....I remember that it is not my place.