Do you feel like your emotions are separated from your mind?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2010, 11:17 am

I get sad, happy, angry, anxious...etc, but the thing is, I'm often not aware of these feelings. The thing I become aware of is that they disturb my thought process. So like, I could be feeling angry, but may not know it until I find myself acting in anger. That's why I find my emotions so confusing.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:31 am

There is a wall.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:51 am

Yep, I'm exactly the same. I usually guess my emotions a few months after I first feel them.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:56 am

Hard to tell how much is built in and how much is habitual self preservation.

At least the most intense ones happen somewhere else, and "I" observe them. Emotions that get into "me" are very quickly damped. I will have 30 seconds of warm glow. in cases of super joy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 12:36 pm

I keep my emotions and my mind as separate as possible.

ruveyn

craigY
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm

I feel like a zombie, even when I try really hard not to be, I still just come off like i'm in a daze.

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2010, 1:13 pm

This is definitely true when I'm stressed. I can observe the symptoms of stress without actually feeling the stress in my mind.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:43 pm

Well, I tend to think of emotions as having a mental cause, but a physical, bodily manifestation. You might find that they disturb your thought processes because they want to be 'heard', "Hey stop giving all your attention to your thoughts, I'm here too!"

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:48 pm

I mostly feel like my emotions are running on autopilot, without consulting any other part of me. Much of the time I don't feel much in the way of emotions anyway, but they don't need any attention; they just operate independently.

I think that much is true for NTs as well, but obviously their emotions communicate themselves more clearly to the conscious mind. It' almost like their autopilot emotions were displayed on a screen in the cockpit where they can easily see them. In my case though, the screen not connected properly and most of the time only displays static and rough impressions. It's like my emotions try to communicate themselves on a different frequency than the one I am tuned in to.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2010, 3:23 pm

Qi wrote:
I get sad, happy, angry, anxious...etc, but the thing is, I'm often not aware of these feelings. The thing I become aware of is that they disturb my thought process. So like, I could be feeling angry, but may not know it until I find myself acting in anger. That's why I find my emotions so confusing.

I think ive noticed that to if i intepreted your post right.

I struggle to be aware of any emotions im feeling. However, i have noticed that my state of mind does affect my logical thought process too, which means not only am i not sure about my emotions, but im not sure about my logic/rationale either. Especially when it comes to things like what is morally right and wrong.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 7:43 pm

No, and this is one of the few things that makes me different from others with Asperger's and Autistics.

My mind and my emotions are definitely connected, possibly I may specify too connected, to the point of pain...

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 8:28 pm

I know I have some emotions, but they're away from my consciousness. It's hard to me to show my feelings, so I don't do it if it's not necessary (in this NT-world it IS). This disconnection lets me control my reactions and stay poker-faced.

I feel like I was an actress all the time.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY