Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 8:37 am

Me, perhaps a mild version, but not enough to call it a disorder. Really, mostly I don't like chaotic sound. Which may be something different.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
now i wonder, is there a link between misophonia and a seemingly linked visual equivalent disorder, in which there are certain complex visual stimuli which also evoke a visceral reaction? my late mother absolutely could not stand the sight of things like massed birds in flight or numerous steam bubbles on cookware, such would make her cringe.

It sounds like trypophobia--it's a fear of seeing things in clusters, especially clusters of holes. I researched it a while ago and a lot of the trypophobics online mention being freaked out by bubbles at the edge of a boiling surface.

i have to admit that deep in the cobwebby back pages of my mind, there is a festering freak-out just awaiting my conscious mind if i dwelled too long on such images.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:24 pm

Mysty wrote:
Me, perhaps a mild version, but not enough to call it a disorder. Really, mostly I don't like chaotic sound. Which may be something different.

what do you think about the sound of phonographic [records] clicks/pops/crackle? that is about as chaotic a sound as one can find.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:58 pm

lostD wrote:
Agree, I think they put a name on something that is actually quite common and normal. Everyone I know has misophonia.

Trust me on this, the degree to which misophonia people feel such sounds is anything but normal. It's normal to hate those sounds somewhat but it's not normal to want to kill everybody who makes those sounds. I can't eat with my own wife. I can't be in the car without unbearable pain if anybody is making these sounds. I had trouble eating with my own family because of the sounds. I have blown up so many times at people that they think I'm a total write-off. I avoid some people specifically because of the noises they make. My wife's brother, for example. The sounds also generalize to other things. Like I can pick up the sounds of my dad dragging his feet on the floor before he goes to the washroom. It drives me nuts! This disorder probably is a greater problem than even my anxiety issues, at least in every day life, outside of work.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 12:12 am

Let me start off by saying that I love my mom very, very much. She means the world to me. However, I always get very irritated when my mom eats with her mouth open, and sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose my temper whenever she has a sneezing or coughing fit. My dad and brother do those things too and it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I'm thinking that maybe it's that I've put her on such a high pedestal in my mind (I always tend to think of her as being "perfect" and that "she can do no wrong") that it annoys me to have a reminder that she is an ordinary human who does things that other ordinary humans do. That very well could explain it, because I have the same feeling of irritation when she is ill/injured.

arielhawksquill wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
now i wonder, is there a link between misophonia and a seemingly linked visual equivalent disorder, in which there are certain complex visual stimuli which also evoke a visceral reaction? my late mother absolutely could not stand the sight of things like massed birds in flight or numerous steam bubbles on cookware, such would make her cringe.

It sounds like trypophobia--it's a fear of seeing things in clusters, especially clusters of holes. I researched it a while ago and a lot of the trypophobics online mention being freaked out by bubbles at the edge of a boiling surface.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of clusters, but they make me cringe and fill me with disgust. I started hating them at age 11 when I had chicken pox, because many of the pox were in clusters, and seeing them in the mirror sent a feeling of terror down my spine. Therefore most of my hatred of clusters is directed at clusters of raised bumps or lumps. I also dislike clusters of holes, such as honeycombs or tripe, but it's not as severe.

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 2:42 am

Anyone who suffers from misophonia of oral noises will love this comic...

http://www.celebritydiagnosis.com/wp-co ... 00x266.png

Last edited by thegatekeeper on 01 Jan 2012, 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cringe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2012, 3:06 am

i generally hate to self diagnose. but i often do have to eat alone and everyone in my family knows it. the sound of any chewing will make me snap with rage. i have VERY sensitive hearing. I hear everything indiscriminately-water dripping in the bathroom, people snoring quietly two rooms down, the subtle "beeeeam" sound the tv makes when its on. I almost think I can hear airwaves-when electronics are on there is a sound that is very high frequency but I know when something is on.

Those pictures were nearly impossible to look at for me, and I am sure anyone would be freaked out by them. As a child they would literally scare me to tears. Clusters of things both fascinate and freak me out. Especially of bugs. I used to look at pictures of tic infestations on dogs and cats.

Aiming to see a clinician in 2012 to get some answers.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

OK I have a question:

I do not have misophonia and I am in no way suggesting that it is not real or that those who do have it do not suffer.

But....
How do you react to the sound of your own chewing? Does it bother you less and if so why do you think that is?

I wonder if it has to do with the phenomenon that causes one to not recognize their own voice on a recording.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:09 am

For a while now i've wondered if i have some of this, or if that and ASD related sensitivities are totally different things?
A lot of noises anyway, including some mentioned on the website can cause me to burst into tears, have panic attacks, hurt myself, consider leaving home, and want to punch things...

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:11 am

when I was a kid I did. Annoyed the crap out of me.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

First:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt182527.html

Aimless wrote:
How do you react to the sound of your own chewing? Does it bother you less and if so why do you think that is?

I read that it's normal not to be bothered by the sound of one's own chewing. I have no idea why, though.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Strange. I'm very annoyed when someone disturbs me... my parents told me i'm too sensitive at sounds and moves. And i was thinking they are just annoying. Now i see i can't bear anyone. It's something i can't control it..

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

Yes, I definately have this, and this is more common in Aspies because most Aspies suffer with sensory issues.

I suffer with Misophonia. I was SO stupidly afraid of the bell at school. I used to arrive to lessons late because of needing to avoid the bell. When I was in science the room had a bell in and I used to sit there with my elbows on the table and my fingers in my ears (but trying to not make it look obvious). It really spoilt my school life, though. And nobody understood my big massive fear of the bell. It's because I feared jumping out of my skin, and being phobic about it actually makes you jump worse.

Also I can't stand people yawning loudly (especially men). The tone of it really shatters me. My brother does it all the time, which is why I can't be in the same room as him now. He knows this annoys me and so he does it even more, whether I react or not. It's not like he has to do it loudly - it is possible to yawn quietly. His excuse is always, ''well we don't like your moaning!'' Ohhhh, why do some NTs make it so frustrating???! !!

I've even almost been sick before from loud sudden noises. Once I saw an ambulance coming towards me with it's lights flashing, and I know full well that flashing lights mean the siren will turn on any minute, and it's bloody loud! And I then started panicking. I didn't want to put my fingers in my ears because I felt silly doing it in the middle of the street, and so my heart started thumping, I had hot sweats, and the siren did actually switch on near me and I bent over and was almost sick from the shock of it - even though I was kind of expecting it.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

I probably have that. A lot of noises irritate or upset me. I hate when people click their nails, flick a lighter repeatedly, hum, sing, or jiggle their leg. I've been annoyed by people breathing before.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

I've had this since childhood. Small noises in quiet rooms are out to get me. Chewing. Snoring. Scuttling, delicate little noises can drive me mad. If there's plenty of background noise it's much more tolerable.

Examination halls, well, forget about concentrating.

It's hard to define the discomfort. It's like a physical pain without a physical sensation. Like an intense annoyance that you can't put out of your mind because it's right in the middle of your mind.

I also connect it with a sense of aesthetic revulsion. Like the sounds conjure up some sense of ugly shapes and movement, a sort of synesthaesia.

I think there's a positive side to it. I can be utterly entranced by beautiful music and sounds.

mad_monkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

Crowds in cramped spaces not open to air
Unless I can sit down .