Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 10:36 pm

I noticed that in conversation, especially online, I tend to talk about the same things.

1.)Women (Celebrity women I find attractive, types of women in general I find attractive, the female form, sexual and dating fantasies.)
2.)Sports (I watch baseball, basketball, and football and have for a long time, but I also find myself talking about Tom Brady a lot, not just as an athlete, but the way he looks, his personality, his life, his wardrobe and so on. It used to be worse...when I had low self-confidence and didn't like myself, I envied him to the point where I wished I was him.)
3.)TV shows (Most of these old shows that have been cancelled for years...usually depends on which show I'm watching at the moment. I used to talk about Seinfeld and X-Files non-stop, but I don't watch either much anymore since I've seen every episode. Now I find myself talking about Frasier (which I'm a couple seasons away from finishing), Cheers, and Married With Children.)
4.)Music (Old school music...60s/70s/80s/90s.)
5.)Random jokes that I recycle...Winona Ryder shoplifting jokes..."What's better, sex or pizza" type of questions. Seinfeld like conversation, only I run out of material fast.

Some of this isn't all that bad. With the average guy, it's a safe bet that he likes the local sports teams and women. In fact, I was talking with my elementary school bully about the Patriots and various women that we like and telling one another women to look up dirty pictures of.

But with women, even one girl commented on the phone "All you talk about is Tom Brady and Frasier." Luckily, she used to watch Frasier, and she also found me interesting. I also seem to like talking to women openly about other women...celebrity women, ask them their opinions on them and tell them my fantasies and such (not graphic ones...generic ones.)

With an old friend today on facebook, I found myself talking about the X-Files and also the debate on the love and dating forum about robots as partners, and couldn't tell if I was boring him with either topic even though he likes X-Files. He knows I have Aspergers though and doesn't judge me for it (so far) but I'm not sure if I was boring him.

When I'm on first dates with a woman, I usually don't have much to say with women my age unless we have built-in commonalities (same town, similar acquaintences) and such. The only decent first dates I've had that were off the cuff were with older women where it was appropriate to talk about 80s music for example, or Seinfeld or Frasier, since they'd likely seen one or both of them at some time. Even if it still doesn't interest them, it interested them at one point.

I'm wondering how many range of interests compare with fellow Aspies as far as being narrow?

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 10:53 pm

nilescrane wrote:
I noticed that in conversation, especially online, I tend to talk about the same things. I'm wondering how many range of interests compare with fellow Aspies as far as being narrow?

Mine are:

1. Strength training/nutrition.
2. Psychiatry/Psychopharmacology.
3. Philosophy of Physics/Science and/or Metaphysics.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:02 pm

Your special interests won't gain you many friends (or only select friends) but you will be in good physical condition and also likely have a high paying job out of it.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:28 pm

nilescrane wrote:
Your special interests won't gain you many friends (or only select friends) but you will be in good physical condition and also likely have a high paying job out of it.

Very good. Yep, I'm in good physical condition despite abusing prescription and non-prescription drugs. And yes, I had a high paying job as a pharmacist until my license was suspended because my abuse of drugs. My problem is that I have trouble functioning at work without drugs. And yes, again, I have only a few friends.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm

None of my special interests would lead to a career, and my one talent, music (I play piano and guitar) is dependent on being in a particular band and having the right connections, even on a non-famous level. I'd like to be in a wedding type band some day or just a fun band that gets a lot of gigs for functions, but those are hard to form and hard to become a part of. It's more about knowing the right people.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 12:28 am

nilescrane wrote:
None of my special interests would lead to a career, and my one talent, music (I play piano and guitar) is dependent on being in a particular band and having the right connections, even on a non-famous level. I'd like to be in a wedding type band some day or just a fun band that gets a lot of gigs for functions, but those are hard to form and hard to become a part of. It's more about knowing the right people.

I'm not sure about that, you figured me out pretty fast. You might make a good police investigator/profiler?

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:03 am

Kon wrote:
nilescrane wrote:

I'm not sure about that, you figured me out pretty fast. You might make a good police investigator/profiler?

It's funny you say that, when I watched X-Files, I thought "Wow a paranormal investigator would be such a cool job." Regular detective shows...generic rape/murder cases bore me...but the cases on X-Files, as well as the travelling (I love to travel) seemed really interesting if the paranormal really existed (not debating whether it does or doesn't, just saying.) When I was bored and not easily impressed, every episode of the X-Files was something different from the rest due to the nature of the cases.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 11:21 am

You know, my experience observing the North American NT over the years - most of them don't seem to have that range of topics. That includes with it senior academics.

I suspect meself it is WHICH topics, not how many

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:00 pm

The main thing I like to talk about is Tim Burton's films and the actors/actresses who star in them (especially Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter). I also talk about customizing dolls, which has a lot of overlap with my interest in my favorite celebrities since I want dolls that look like them. Sometimes I like discussing the things that go on in my imagination, but I find I'm doing that less and less as I get older.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:12 pm

I forgot. I watched "The good, the bad and the ugly" over 100 times easily. I watched "Two moon junction" with Richard Tyson over 100 times easily. OCD?