Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 12:22 am

Well, yes, I have problems with some PPR phenomena [If you do not stop throwing chalk I will have to ask you to leave the classroom]. Some of it makes me sigh for Giovanni Guareschi.[check him out if you wish: http://www.mondoguareschi.com/index.php]

I met him, as I met many other writers, through my mother who read all sortof stuff that might be good for her. I got hooked - even in those days, atheist, apolitical, prejudiced against philosophy. Guareschi, who unites politics, philosophy, and religion, whose characters are hamfisted extroverts not library cubicle bums like me, still called to me. Still does - when I reread him today it still aplies, I see more.

Why? Because though his people are tough loud partisan extroverts who call a spade a spade and will punch you if you don't like it, with it they are more into truth than party line. They are not academic pinkos or armchair conservatives. The commies are commies, the reactionaries are reactionaries. They will debate. Yes, they do it at the top of their lungs, throwing things across the room. But they will talk and they will listen and for all their differences respect one another. and if something needs doing - they will do it and argue later.

I am not Peppone, I am not Don Camillo, I don't want to be. Hey, I don't want to live next door to them [big deal, I don't like living next door to anyone]. But I would rather sit with them eating pasta and arguing Global Warming than spend fifteen minutes with Dr Bob.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 10:16 am

So... you're saying people on PPR are not combative enough!

They should me more combative?

I havent read every single thread but it seems to me that there is quite a bit of combativeness on PPR already. Many WP'ers avoid PPR for that very reason.

So I am not clear as to what your are complaining about.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 11:53 am

Feature Matrix:

- Combat - Respect - Combat + Respect

+Combat - Respect + Combat + Respect

My preferred cell = -C+R

Camillo and Peppone = +C+R

What I tend to see is [African proverb] when the elephants fight, the grass is trampled.