Do you think you're a good person?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Blint
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 7:24 pm

I'm definitely a good person, ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you in exact detail. :)

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 7:41 pm

I was always wanted to be pure, unaldulterated evil to experience what that felt like. Good and bad are relative terms, most suicide bombers likely consider themselves to be good for giving their all to their cause. The victim's family I am certain don't. I aim to be courageous and sincere.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 7:45 pm

I think a good person is someone who doesn't intentionally hurt, deceive, or disrespect others. By that definition, I am mostly a good person.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 7:55 pm

Sometimes it annoys me when people try to generalize, are you a good person? what level are we expected to attain, or what things to be done,to attain goodness? I believe we humans are born genuinely good. I am kind of mad so maybe this is an offshoot of that.
Goodness=honesty,loyalty,truth in all areas in my opinion.So yes I suppose I am a good person.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:07 pm

i think i am a good person, and i think therefor i am

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:19 pm

Mackica wrote:
Sometimes it annoys me when people try to generalize, are you a good person?

I chose my words very carefully for this reason. The question is actually "Do you think you're a good person?". That's very different than "Are you a good person?". Seriously, Hitler probably thought he was a good person. (Not that he too didn't have a Buddha seed, lotusblossom :) )

I am interested in what people's concept of good is. I think "goodness" is largely an opinion.

I've been greatly disliked by some people in my life and I'm sure they didn't think I was a good person, but then to people who love me, I think I seem pretty thoughtful and loving. It's a perspective thing, too.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 8:24 pm

I don't really believe anyone is either good or bad. I think sometimes people just have good intentions and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do good things and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're aware that they're being bad and sometimes they're not. That said, here's how I rate people's overall goodness:

1. People with good intentions + good deeds + unawareness of being a goody-goody
2. People with good intentions + good deeds + awareness of being a goody-goody
3. People with good intentions + bad deeds + unawareness that they're doing it all wrong
4. People with good intentions + bad deeds + awareness that they're doing it all wrong
5. People with bad intentions + bad deeds + unawareness that they're doing it all wrong
6. People with bad intentions + bad deeds + awareness that they're doing it all wrong

I've met way too many #6s (aka scum of the earth), but as of today no #1 yet. As for me, I alternate between #2 and #4. (And for the record, I'd peg Hitler as a mostly #3. I know every other person in the world thinks he was pure evil, but I'm not convinced.)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 10:26 pm

Yeah, I think I'm a good person. Especially because everyone is always telling me "You're such a good person!"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2010, 1:52 am

I'm not sure if I'm a good person or not. My family & some others who know me think I'm extremely selfish, lazy, demanding & that I am incapable of caring about anyone but myself. Some even think that I'm a potential serial killer :twisted: I try to be a good person because I care very deeply but I feel like I must be an extremely selfish person because I am nothing but a burden to my family & the American tax payer. I don't want to be like my parents & others think I do but I find the more I try not to be; the worse things get & I end up causing more problems & more expenses. If If I truly was a good unselfish person; I would of killed myself a long time ago because my continuing existence is making things worse & not better.

I think a good person is someone who tries to help others or better things for others instead of taking advantage of em or screwing em over.

I know people who are good but they all have their faults but they try

Last edited by nick007 on 25 Nov 2010, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 2:01 am

I think I'm somewhere in between good and bad. I'm no Mother Teresa, but I'm not exactly Satan's no.1 squeeze either (as much as I want to be :heart:)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

Mostly, yeah.

FunnyFaceKing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm

I thought this was going to be a Way of the Master thread, but I was wrong.

Everyone has lied, cheated, stolen, had lust in their heart and been angry enough to murder. No one is good. Everyone will go to hell, unless they ask Jesus for forgiveness. That's the gist of the Way of the Master. they always start out their witnessing with the question: "do you think you are a good person?" Google it for more info. I'm new, so I 'm still not allowed to post links.

More later. Good night.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 1:24 pm

FunnyFaceKing wrote:

Everyone has lied, cheated, stolen, had lust in their heart and been angry enough to murder. No one is good. Everyone will go to hell, unless they ask Jesus for forgiveness. That's the gist of the Way of the Master. they always start out their witnessing with the question: "do you think you are a good person?" Google it for more info. I'm new, so I 'm still not allowed to post links.

More later. Good night.

Interesting. My intentions weren't religious in nature, just honest curiosity.

I did just google that, though. Not my cup of tea.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

FunnyFaceKing wrote:

More later. Good night.

Satanists don't consider me as a good person too
Hulk consider I'm too skinny to be good
[...]
:shrug:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

sluice wrote:
I was always wanted to be pure, unaldulterated evil to experience what that felt like. Good and bad are relative terms, most suicide bombers likely consider themselves to be good for giving their all to their cause. The victim's family I am certain don't. I aim to be courageous and sincere.

there are some sentiments in here that i consider to be quite beautiful.

lotusblossom wrote:
I think Im a mixture of good and bad qualities and I think everyone else is a mixture aswell. I think its unhelpful to devide people into good and bad as its labelling and dehumanising. I think we should recognise the complexity of people and their motivations and drives and not box people into categories of 'other' which is what I think calling someone a 'bad person' does.

I think good vs bad probably has it roots in abrahamic religions, but I prefer the eastern philosophy where everyone has a 'buddha' light within them even murderers and can 'water' the seeds of positivity or negativity equally in anyone. So for example if you watch and eat bad things you will bring out more of your bad qualities and if you eat good and have good experience it will bring out more of your positive qualities. We all have the same potential and same value we just alter what we are displaying to the outside world by the actions we do to ourselves which leads to what we do to others. I think the story of Angulimala excemplifies this as he went from being a mass murderer to being one of the best bodhisattvas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

and some amazing thoughts in here as well.

FunnyFaceKing wrote:

and this is quite interesting, too.

for me, i don't really know what being a good person *is* in any real sense, so i really admire other people's ability to verbalize their own beliefs. i don't have a solid belief system or morality so being "good" is sort of irrelevant. i do try to behave ethically and responsibly.

FalconPunch39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 9:20 am

I believe I am, but not a lot of people think so.