Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 11:13 am

It feels like a scam to me. I'm not a hundred percent sure, so out of respect, I'm not going to say the person's first name. But it sure looks and feels like a scam.

Obviously, because we Aspies are so naive! Except we're not all that naive. I myself am going for a combination of compassion and street smarts (compassion as in buddhist compassion).

Anyway, I'm interested in whether other people have received this 'personal message.'

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 11:15 am

Check the PM against the sticky thread in the WP Discussion Forum about inappropriate PMs. Let me know if it is a scam and I'll ban the scammer straight away before they can send more PMs out.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2010, 11:28 am

Not from S., but ste123 sent me a suspicious email asking me to communicate with him or her at an external address. I told him or her that if he or she wanted to talk, we could do it right here on wrongplanet. I got no response.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 11:36 am

I've never heard from S., but there was someone who told me I was such a kind, considerate man that even though she was normally too shy to send a PM like that she thought we two should give it a shot. Because obviously, she would never find another man like me if she tried.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 12:03 pm

Squirrelrat wrote:
Not from S., but ste123 sent me a suspicious email asking me to communicate with him or her at an external address. I told him or her that if he or she wanted to talk, we could do it right here on wrongplanet. I got no response.

ste123 was a scammer who was banned some time ago. These scammers send the same PM to lots of members until someone finally thinks to report it to a mod so we can ban them! They normally go something along the lines that they like your profile and want you to contact them at an external email address so they can send you photos.

Please read the sticky thread in the WP Discussion Forum. The sooner someone tells me the name of the scammer the sooner I can get rid of them. Just because you know it is a scam doesn't mean that everyone does and someone just might fall for their scam in the mean time.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

As long as the person wants you to reply to them on the site they sent you a message on, then it's not a scam. This goes for pretty much all URLs. Someone who really likes you isn't going to tell you to message them somewhere else the first time they contact you without at least saying hi and getting the formalities out of the way.